or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? - Page 967

post #14491 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

No reason.  Schott makes a nice product.  Eastman and Aero definitely make a nicer product, but it's like telling someone to buy really expensive Japanese jeans - it may be worth it to you, or it may not be.  Just depends on your personal preferences/comfort with different pricepoints.  I personally think that Schott is a great value, and actually, of all the "bigger" American companies, do extremely well with more contemporary fits.

All of the above and they are easy to deal with for size exchanges since you'll be buying off the rack. Schott's build quality is very good. You'll only notice the difference if you start comparing the leather itself to the high $ jackets.
post #14492 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGold View Post

All of the above and they are easy to deal with for size exchanges since you'll be buying off the rack. Schott's build quality is very good. You'll only notice the difference if you start comparing the leather itself to the high $ jackets.

This in a nutshell.  I actually think that the "fit" of Schott's civilian jackets are really good.  The leather is of decent quality, but I've found that, in general, it's of indifferent character.  At 10 paces, hardly anyone will be able to tell the difference, of course.  But on this forum, most of us are hobbyists, and things matter to us that matter not at all to most people.

post #14493 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

This in a nutshell.  I actually think that the "fit" of Schott's civilian jackets are really good.  The leather is of decent quality, but I've found that, in general, it's of indifferent character.  At 10 paces, hardly anyone will be able to tell the difference, of course.  But on this forum, most of us are hobbyists, and things matter to us that matter not at all to most people.

Well said sir.
post #14494 of 16653
I posted this in the TOJ thread to some response but I thought I'd throw it up here to for thoughts on sizing. The waist is fairly tight and the arms a bit restricting but it hasn't been broken in yet at all. It is very thick leather so I'm hoping when it wears in it'll stretch and soften a little bit. Any opinions or recommendations to speed up stretching?

post #14495 of 16653
The elbows are probably the only place you'll observe any noticeable stretching without putting on a beer belly, or something. Everywhere else, the seams will probably come loose before the leather stretches to your comfort.
post #14496 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertdinner2 View Post

I posted this in the TOJ thread to some response but I thought I'd throw it up here to for thoughts on sizing. The waist is fairly tight and the arms a bit restricting but it hasn't been broken in yet at all. It is very thick leather so I'm hoping when it wears in it'll stretch and soften a little bit. Any opinions or recommendations to speed up stretching?

If it is a heavy calf, it's probably not going to stretch out that much, although it will relax considerably with wear.  The waist is fine, but that is a pretty long jacket.  A double rider usually hits at the belt line, maybe slightly lower, but this one looks like it hits well under your belt which is really long.  There is no way that you are going to get a non-tight fit there unless you make a jacket with a skirt, like a sportsjacket.  

post #14497 of 16653

Re stretching - or letting it relax - wear it really, really, hard.  Move a lot.  That's really the only way to do this.  

post #14498 of 16653
It is hitting on the belt line if you look closely.
post #14499 of 16653
I think he wears his jeans pretty low (correct me if I am wrong), which means that the jacket hits at the belt line, but without hitting around the natural waist. To my eye, the waist is located somewhere around where the lower pair of pockets sit. The thing is that with jackets that are designed to hit lower than the waist, they need to have some flare at the bottom to account for the extra width around the hips, compared to the waist, kind of like this ) (. Yes, just like the cut of a sports coat or a longer cafe racer jacket.
post #14500 of 16653
If he does sag his pants, then he can probably get rid of that extra length to make the fit more comfortable. If the fit is comfortable at your hips, then you could try shortening the jacket by 1.5-2inches... Or just wear it open..
post #14501 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarkies View Post

It is hitting on the belt line if you look closely.

The belt line is the top of the belt. If you look at the picture from behind, you'll see that the jacket US several inches lower then the top of his hips. Because the buttocks are larger than the top of you hips, a tapered jacket like that can never sit correctly there. Either a skirt needs to be in the design, or the jacket simply needs to be shorter. On longer cafe racers, you'll see that the zipper starts about 2" abovethe hem to aaccommodate the hips.
post #14502 of 16653
Exactly. See this Aero Board Racer for reference. It has both the )( shape and a zipper that starts above the hem.

13055420a8ce9fe2_Boadracer-Italian-RussetHH-500.jpg
post #14503 of 16653
Two-way zips help with the bubble butt issue as well as you can keep it tight through the chest or whatever and still have it sit comfortably
post #14504 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

If it is a heavy calf, it's probably not going to stretch out that much, although it will relax considerably with wear.  The waist is fine, but that is a pretty long jacket.  A double rider usually hits at the belt line, maybe slightly lower, but this one looks like it hits well under your belt which is really long.  There is no way that you are going to get a non-tight fit there unless you make a jacket with a skirt, like a sportsjacket.  
i did think it couldve been a bit long but im 6'4" 170. and its slightly long and tight. the exact opposite of my usual issues with jackets. i wonder the size of the original buyer. he mustve been super tall and sooo skinny
post #14505 of 16653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertdinner2 View Post

i did think it couldve been a bit long but im 6'4" 170. and its slightly long and tight. the exact opposite of my usual issues with jackets. i wonder the size of the original buyer. he mustve been super tall and sooo skinny

That's a very long jacket if you are that tall. With that said, if you work it a bit and soften the leather (it's not really going to stretch as others have stated) then instead of one awkward crease on the back you will get more rolls and wrinkles. Roll the entire jacket into a ball, stand on it, use it as a pillow, wear it around the house and especially when driving (zipped up tight).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?