or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? - Page 947

post #14191 of 16648
I love my double rider, but find it hard to wear without looking like a "Wild Ones" extra. It doesn't help that it's a old-school Schott, so maybe I should look into more modern fits. I end up just layering it.

post #14192 of 16648
I don't think the jacket is what makes that look kinda old school, it's the chunky toe on those boots and the indigo jeans that are cuffed and tucked in. It still looks good though
post #14193 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

Because it's hard to find an interesting brown leather without reaching up into the higher quality leathers.  I do have one, and love it, but it was a RRL jacket with a dark brown background that has an overcoat of black that is then stripped away, so that you end up with a leather that looks "darker" and a bit distressed, and gets more so the more I wear it.  Jackets with a brown base, but are more dramatic, like whiskey and Number 8 have much more inherent drama.  And if you want a modernized motorcycle inspired look, or any look that is "sleek", then black is an obvious choice.  There are companies that do great brown jackets, usually based on early motorcycle jackets, and military jackets (like Navy and RAF shearlings), but those are not the bodies in fashion right now.

 

Personally, I love the browns in the 60s and 70s, like those used by the East West Musical Instrument companies, but those leathers are hard to come by.

 

I totally see your point. Coming mainly from CM, where brown is hailed as easily the most versatile color for leather shoes, I am all aware of the fact that browns can be really bad as well as beautiful. It all depends on the shade, leather quality etc. Basically, higher end makers of shoes usually also have the most beautiful shades of brown, and my guess is that this is the same when it comes to leather jackets.

 

Anyway, speaking of brown 5 zips, I think that this version looks really good. Wouldn't you agree?

 

post #14194 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenResign View Post

I don't think the jacket is what makes that look kinda old school, it's the chunky toe on those boots and the indigo jeans that are cuffed and tucked in. It still looks good though

You could also wear with black jeans and white kicks, or indigo jeans and Visvim sneakers, or black or olive cargos with cream chukkas like Guidi 994s or 017, if you want a more modern look. All these and more would work with the style and weight of the jacket. It's really a matter of styling.
post #14195 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodog View Post

I totally see your point. Coming mainly from CM, where brown is hailed as easily the most versatile color for leather shoes, I am all aware of the fact that browns can be really bad as well as beautiful. It all depends on the shade, leather quality etc. Basically, higher end makers of shoes usually also have the most beautiful shades of brown, and my guess is that this is the same when it comes to leather jackets.

Anyway, speaking of brown 5 zips, I think that this version looks really good. Wouldn't you agree? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




I like it with those olive pants. Don't think it would look good with blue jeans, assuming that's what you were considering.

I think brown leathers aren't popular on this thread because we don't have many workwear enthusiasts. Except for @ChrisGold. If you went to FedoraLounge or DenimBro, you'd only see brown leathers.
post #14196 of 16648
Leather jackets can be any colour as long as that colour is black. There are beautiful brown leathers but they feel too retro by default, I just wouldn't know what to do with them.
post #14197 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


I like it with those olive pants. Don't think it would look good with blue jeans, assuming that's what you were considering.

I think brown leathers aren't popular on this thread because we don't have many workwear enthusiasts. Except for @ChrisGold. If you went to FedoraLounge or DenimBro, you'd only see brown leathers.

Sorta, and not really.  Color popularity is tend driven as well, and often matches other trends.  If the rest of the "modern" wardrobe is brown or blue, then a brown leather jacket also look more modern.  In 2000 or sp, I had a conversation with one of the owners of Traffic LA, and she was bemoaning the fact that she had, in a previous season, dyed her brown boots black, and how brown had so much more depth, etc...  The stupid catchphrase "brown is the new black" was thrown around a lot.

 

This predated the workwear trend of the mid-oughties, but it was the start of the "new rustic" look, when even brands like Prada, previously best known for its techno fabrics, was using things like boiled wool; Helmut Lang had a ton of stuff in moleskin, as did Burberry Prorsum, and there were a lot of huntingwear inspired sportscoats, Gucci was coming out with super chunky "ethnic" knits (which were awesome, btw), and Costume National used camel and chestnut brown moleskin in its signature outerwear pieces.  The best 5-zip that I've seen to date was from that period, a heavy black over brown, and it was often styled with indigo jeans.  The most modern leather jackets were definitely in the brown family.  The usual suspects (Versace, Mugler, Calvin Klein) still did a lot of black, but it was not as prevalent as it is now.  

 

If @Fuuma had a wardrobe with a lot of pieces from about 99-00 in his current rotation, he could probably put together a lot of outfits with brown leather jackets.  And black would have been more difficult to put together something that was all black without looking like a refugee from the mid to late 90s.

post #14198 of 16648
Except that I have plenty of pieces that would match very well with a brown leather jacket (say navy or grey slacks), what is important is the way I perceive brown leather jackets. If I watch a movie set in the UK in the 60s or something like that, I'll love that sort of grey slacks/brown leather styling, I just can't wear it myself.
post #14199 of 16648

My journey for my first leather jacket began almost two years ago. For my upcoming 30th birthday I decided to treat myself to a cool leather jacket. I turned to a popular SF brand named ToJ after reading around and placed an order. Little did I know what I signed up for. After 1.5 years I sold my spot (lol, what company tells their customers this?). My quest for my first leather jacket began anew.

 

When I saw the VansonxSFxThurstonBros DR I thought it looked fantastic. Here were these guys who started a project well after I placed an order and they had actual products in their hands! I looked into what other offerings there were as I was intent on getting a moto. I settled on an Aero Board Racer and customized it to my liking. Here it is!

 

 

 

post #14200 of 16648
that looks fantastic. great buy
post #14201 of 16648
The timing of this conversation is ironic as I am getting ready to order a new black cafe racer for Fall delivery and so I took stock of my black jackets and it turns out I have 6. (I'm going to sell a few to cull the herd.) Black is just so easy, especially if you also own a motorcycle, you end up with more black than anything else. Brown takes much more thought... what will I wear it with? Which shade? Something that will become more complex in color or hold its original shade? Plus, the designers that are favored for leather jackets on SF don't offer much outside of black, and they are sold primarily as off-the-rack. Work wear, military and moto jackets are much more made to order, so you have some time to think about what you might do if you stray from black.
post #14202 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktown View Post

My journey for my first leather jacket began almost two years ago. For my upcoming 30th birthday I decided to treat myself to a cool leather jacket. I turned to a popular SF brand named ToJ after reading around and placed an order. Little did I know what I signed up for. After 1.5 years I sold my spot (lol, what company tells their customers this?). My quest for my first leather jacket began anew.

When I saw the VansonxSFxThurstonBros DR I thought it looked fantastic. Here were these guys who started a project well after I placed an order and they had actual products in their hands! I looked into what other offerings there were as I was intent on getting a moto. I settled on an Aero Board Racer and customized it to my liking. Here it is!

Well done Ktown, the Board Racer is a very good slim design. Fit looks perfect.
post #14203 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

 

 mid-oughties

Can we call them the "naughties?"

post #14204 of 16648
Ktown would you mind taking a fit pic with the sleeves and jacket zipped up. Thinking about this as an alternative to the Vanson sf collab that never came to fruition

Beautiful jacket though
post #14205 of 16648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktown View Post
 

My journey for my first leather jacket began almost two years ago. For my upcoming 30th birthday I decided to treat myself to a cool leather jacket. I turned to a popular SF brand named ToJ after reading around and placed an order. Little did I know what I signed up for. After 1.5 years I sold my spot (lol, what company tells their customers this?). My quest for my first leather jacket began anew.

 

When I saw the VansonxSFxThurstonBros DR I thought it looked fantastic. Here were these guys who started a project well after I placed an order and they had actual products in their hands! I looked into what other offerings there were as I was intent on getting a moto. I settled on an Aero Board Racer and customized it to my liking. Here it is!

 

 

 

Looks really good.  

 

ToJ is a funny phenomenon.  A few hundred dollars more, and you have any number of choices (that Aero costs $1099, if anyone cares.) and significantly better quality, including in areas that you wouldn't see unless you have taken leather jackets apart and really broken them down - consistent tension, straight stitching, leather that is skived at the edges.)  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?