or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? - Page 910

post #13636 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

The basic riders that are the most common and usually made of lamb except for the one just posted. In other words you'll see a lot more jackets in lamb than calf but if you were to look at every model presented in the collection, most of them are in calf. That's my experience but I'm not a SLP nerd, just went to the places where they sell those in Paris (Printemps, SLP stores) and in various SE asian cities (I like to look at luxury brand stores in asia, it's just so weird how they perceive the stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahneun View Post

can you elaborate on this point please

Well they don't have the primary references so for them everything is superflat, it's all on the same level and only refers to fashion or the superstars who wore the actual articles. In other words a SLP perfecto isn't 80s rock'n'roll and american but something Kanye or some asian popstar wore. Poell is like Chanel is like SLP etc.
post #13637 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

The basic riders that are the most common and usually made of lamb except for the one just posted. In other words you'll see a lot more jackets in lamb than calf but if you were to look at every model presented in the collection, most of them are in calf. That's my experience but I'm not a SLP nerd, just went to the places where they sell those in Paris (Printemps, SLP stores) and in various SE asian cities (I like to look at luxury brand stores in asia, it's just so weird how they perceive the stuff).

Good point, yeah - depends how you're looking at it. Most folks want lux lamb I guess so lots of basic L17 and L01 in lamb, almost everything else in calf with few exceptions so far. I prefer the calf as well I think SLP makes a great one. This lamb is quite thick and I decided to go for it. Got it 'used' as new for a great price.
post #13638 of 16655
most of slimane's jackets since forever have been lamb, even at dior, with a few notable exceptions. for whatever reason, most probably because it's a finer leather than calf. this season is an exception, there are a handful of calf jackets, probably because he went on a huge cowboy kick.

there are many variations amongst the lamb used in the sl jackets, they're far from all the same. some is thicker, some thinner, more polished, less polished. the L17 lamb is very different to the L01 lamb, which is again different from the jacket prudy got from me (the trapunto shoulder biker). i'd guess that slimane works mostly with lamb because it works better in general with narrow silhouettes, since it's thinner and less structured than calf or horse. the exception is probably the "vintage calf" L17, which is a spectacular but pretty hard to track down jacket.

that said, i'm a sucker for horsehide, and personally i'd love to see an sl hh perfecto.

fuuma's point about referentiality is very interesting, it's something i've been thinking a lot about lately. much of fashion is now referencing stuff that is to much of the world empty of it's "original" or historical meaning. like he said, a perfecto is something kanye or g-dragon (not james dean, whomever) wore. so in that sense it's perfectly cool to wear a "biker jacket" with satin boat shoes or harem pants. i think that's the real dividing line in style today, between designers who support this self-referentiality, or want to preserve a sense of classicism.
post #13639 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Poell is like Chanel 

 

Please post this on SZ. 

post #13640 of 16655
@neonrider knows better than I for sure regarding Hedi.
post #13641 of 16655
Lamb is easier to wear, more forgiving. I have an even spread and hands down I wear my lamb jackets more often, but generally speaking my calf jackets look better. I can wear lamb in a larger range of temperatures as well depending on how its layered, with calf requiring it be 17c or lower generally speaking
post #13642 of 16655
SEAsians know nuts about winter wear more less if it's leather wear.

Most of them will buy based on who and who had worn a particular item before and whether it will both look good and keep them warm during holidays at cooler climates.

We still have SEA tourists taking selfies at LV and Versace store fronts here. LOL!
post #13643 of 16655

^I never understood the need for people to be condescending towards these groups regardless of where they're from. It's not like Styleforum members have never taken pictures purposely in front of designer/soon to be stores them selves. The cultural references and relevance of certain brands aren't perceived in the same way to them than it is to us, but so what? If they like a product for one reason or another, let them be. It's not like we don't do that. Why do they have to be like us? The Japanese used to be and probably still are notorious for this, and more recently, the Chinese. Hell, didn't SuperDry and it's purposeful misuse of japanese words under their logo spawn from this?  

post #13644 of 16655
That SLP L17 is a beauty!
post #13645 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post

that said, i'm a sucker for horsehide, and personally i'd love to see an sl hh perfecto.

fuuma's point about referentiality is very interesting, it's something i've been thinking a lot about lately. much of fashion is now referencing stuff that is to much of the world empty of it's "original" or historical meaning. like he said, a perfecto is something kanye or g-dragon (not james dean, whomever) wore. so in that sense it's perfectly cool to wear a "biker jacket" with satin boat shoes or harem pants. i think that's the real dividing line in style today, between designers who support this self-referentiality, or want to preserve a sense of classicism.

To me, who's a traditionalist, especially when it comes to leather jackets, this is a double edged sword. On one hand, when I see what some designers will do to a perfecto design, or how someone might be wearing it, I want to yell "no, no, no."

On the other hand, when I stop and think about it, it's great that classic designs can transcend and move into new spaces, whether the designer or wearer have any idea of the history behind it or not. As you note, I'd love to see some fashion houses use more HH, even if it's skived down to a fairly light weight. Contrary to popular belief, HH can be very soft, it's all in the tanning / finishing.
post #13646 of 16655
Hey, we've had some pretty great discussion in the last few pages here. Lots of well presented thoughts from different viewpoints. Hooray?

For what it's worth, I'm at one lamb, 2 calf and 1 lamb suede leather. The lamb jackets get more wear in part due to climate.
post #13647 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

Hey, we've had some pretty great discussion in the last few pages here. Lots of well presented thoughts from different viewpoints. Hooray?

For what it's worth, I'm at one lamb, 2 calf and 1 lamb suede leather. The lamb jackets get more wear in part due to climate.

Yes. Definitely hooray... because this thread covers a pretty broad topic, and not specific types of leather jackets or specific brands, we have a unique opportunity to learn from each other here, to perhaps broaden our horizons and gain an appreciation for items even if we would never consider wearing them. I still haven't handled a lamb jacket that I would wear, but I'm keeping an open mind. I've got 3 goat, 3 horse and 2 steer. Goat gets a lot of wear on and off the bike, with a lighter horse jacket seeing a lot of wear also.
post #13648 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulan View Post

^I never understood the need for people to be condescending towards these groups regardless of where they're from. It's not like Styleforum members have never taken pictures purposely in front of designer/soon to be stores them selves. The cultural references and relevance of certain brands aren't perceived in the same way to them than it is to us, but so what? If they like a product for one reason or another, let them be. It's not like we don't do that. Why do they have to be like us? The Japanese used to be and probably still are notorious for this, and more recently, the Chinese. Hell, didn't SuperDry and it's purposeful misuse of japanese words under their logo spawn from this?  

Perhaps you didn't get the gist of my message making fun of SEAsian in general...being one myself. smile.gif

Yours truly worshipping the doorway of none other than Mr Yohji himself.

post #13649 of 16655

Perhaps I came across as being ehhhh. I'm not, it was just a thought. Something I see often enough on other sites about various brands.

post #13650 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Well, the samples are ready!


I recall that the prototype had a very narrow banded collar. I'm hoping it will be a bit taller in production. Not a fan of the thin collar look.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?