Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on 3/25/17 at 1:03pm in Streetwear and Denim
- TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever. Last post on 3/7/17 at 8:12am in Streetwear and Denim
- where to buy uniqlo online? Last post on 2/16/10 at 4:21am in Streetwear and Denim
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Using Gliptone on your leather jacket - recommended or not? From...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? - Page 785post #11761 of 172098/15/14 at 11:05ampost #11762 of 172098/15/14 at 11:12ampost #11763 of 172098/15/14 at 11:30ampost #11764 of 172098/15/14 at 11:45amQuote:Originally Posted by HeavenResign
Yeah I've been trawling through the ToJ thread just because there's a ton of great knowledge in there and seeing some of the fits from 2011/2012 I can see why they were so renowned, pumping this kinda stuff out in 3 - 5 weeks is nothing short of incredible. it's true even with SF x Vanson you just aren't going to get a fit like this Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
TOJ did a lot of good stuff. I was about to order another jacket but once the production times got out of control i was turned off. I own the wool MA1 and the Moto. Pretty happy with both. I also own 2 ricks and those are a different aesthetic but also great. Have not really had a bad experience with leather jackets lately.Quote:well the below and i will comment more to that.Quote:Originally Posted by HeavenResign
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)As I've gone through the first 250+ pages (50 replies a page) the last few weeks it really helps put the picture together. Around summer 2011 Drew had pointed out multiple times (in a very friendly manner he posted a ton back then) that he was at capacity, or at least in the sense that he didn't want any more orders than he was getting. He said he didn't want to do any interviews, he didn't really want people shouting from the mountaintops about ToJ, he wanted those that were in the know on SF to buy jackets as they please and that was basically it because he had no interest in scaling the operation up (anyone more knowledgeable than me feel free to correct me, cyc wid it has been posting for a longgg time and was around back then too, same with bows1). But eventually with word getting out, toj got more exposure than ever planned but it's not like they turned people away and it basically led up to ToJ closing and what we have now (that's the short version the long version is ofc just reading the ToJ thread hahaha that will paint a better picture than a few posts on this thread could)
Most of this is correct. But, to point out Drew went into the restaurant business and slightly abandoned the TOJ business. I can understand that he did not want to scale the business and wanted to do something else. But, what is happening now is pretty bad imo. People are waiting 6 months plus for a jacket. Why? I know SF community upsold TOJ like crazy and as one of the benefactors I would confirm price point n quality for price is amazing. You won't find that elsewhere. But, if you are willing to either pay a little more or look around you do have a TON of options outside TOJ. Thurston for example has a lot of jackets, JL leathers in SF, the super long list @Adroit posted. My point is don't buy just for the hype especially if the retailer/manufacturer cannot provide you with your item in a reasonable amount of time.Quote:
Look back a page, giant list of retailerspost #11765 of 172098/15/14 at 12:41pmpost #11766 of 172098/15/14 at 12:45pmpost #11767 of 172098/15/14 at 3:27pmQuote:
I've currently got 2 Alexanders and 2 Aeros with another Aero on the way. I've also sold 1 of each that weren't quite right for me.
Craftsmanship and quality are the same, both exceptional. The differences atm are Aero have access to the thicker/stiffer HH that they are famous for, I still don't think Alexanders can get that particular CXL FQHH if tats what you want in particular but then again, I think Alexanders offer a wider range of different hides in total.
Aero have introduced a lot of new styles over the last 2 years but they are much less inclined to do any alterations or modifications to their designs apart from slight adjustments to length of body and sleeve.
Alexanders have a smaller (yet still fairly wide) range of designs, but are much more willing to modify patterns on request.
Aero have a significantly longer wait time on production of orders, although you can go through Insurrection / Thurston Bros and get them with pretty much the same lead time as an Alexanders order.
Alexanders don't have as high a resale value but are cheaper to begin with...
Both have fantastic customer service and make amazing jackets.
To be honest, there is no clear winner, it really depends on what you are after, either way, you will get a great jacket.post #11768 of 172098/15/14 at 9:06pm
Trying to break in this white tanned CORS high neck
Its still very stiff but Ive been told they do soften and stretch a little bit
The biggest pain is the snaps that narrow the sleeves keep popping open from the tension of the stiff leather
Edit: white tanned not veg tanned
Edited by skeen7908 - 8/15/14 at 9:51pmpost #11769 of 172098/15/14 at 10:28pmpost #11770 of 172098/15/14 at 10:48pmThanks for the info.
I kind of like the shine to be honest, but will obviously be much easier to wear.
Does the collar stay nice and rigid? The good thing about the stiffness is that the jacket keeps its shape and looks good unzipped (which is not so much the case for the other ccp leathers i have seen)post #11771 of 172098/16/14 at 12:45ampost #11772 of 172098/16/14 at 3:44ampost #11773 of 172098/16/14 at 10:35amQuote:Originally Posted by skeen7908
Thanks for the info.
I kind of like the shine to be honest, but will obviously be much easier to wear.
Does the collar stay nice and rigid? The good thing about the stiffness is that the jacket keeps its shape and looks good unzipped (which is not so much the case for the other ccp leathers i have seen)
Yes, the collar stays rigid. It will keep its shape also. It is CORS-PTC after all!post #11774 of 172098/16/14 at 6:30pmpost #11775 of 172098/16/14 at 6:36pm
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › The Official RRL Thread 1 minute ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 8 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 9 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 12 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 13 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 15 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 15 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 15 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 18 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...