May be a stupid question... but what is crust? Oiled calf from crust?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Yesterday at 8:26 am in Streetwear and Denim
- TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever. Last post on Yesterday at 3:22 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- where to buy uniqlo online? Last post on 2/16/10 at 4:21am in Streetwear and Denim
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Using Gliptone on your leather jacket - recommended or not? From...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? - Page 761post #11402 of 164206/28/14 at 6:22pmpost #11403 of 164206/28/14 at 6:23pmpost #11404 of 164206/28/14 at 6:23pmpost #11405 of 164206/28/14 at 6:27pmpost #11406 of 164206/28/14 at 7:12pmpost #11407 of 164206/28/14 at 7:28pmpost #11408 of 164206/28/14 at 7:33pmpost #11409 of 164206/29/14 at 8:13pmpost #11410 of 164206/29/14 at 8:30pmpost #11411 of 164206/29/14 at 8:57pmQuote:Originally Posted by Abraxis
O Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)n the contrary. I don't hate rick owens. I just picked up some of his OG dunks heavily used even though they probably will disintegrate the moment I step outside my apartment in them. Will take them to my cobbler and tell him to do whatever it takes to make them last. Also have some black gleam geos. Want some swinger shorts/cropped pants at some point too for comfort reasons.
I just don't think someone should buy Rick Owens and have much of an expectation of quality unless its specific pieces. I don't think their leathers are a good value at 5k or even really more than 1.5k new unless it's something like that stooges.
I do prefer Attachment/KKA in general. Rick Owens seems like an awesome individual and I'm glad him and his brand exist and what they've contributed to clothing.
Fundamentally somatic seemed like (Maybe he wasn't) a person who was buying influenced by hype which you see sometimes with all brands but with leathers I'd liken it to sentiment about the 5 zip and ToJ. I think people should make informed purchasing decisions especially when spending this kind of money. I firmly believe that if you let people be swept up by hype then the hype-swell will only grow and absorb more people.
I've seen it happen on head-fi (headphone audio) and it's a self-feeding vicious cycle and it's a sad waste of money where people keep the hype going to lure in more people to do the same to validate their own poor decisions. Styleforum isn't anywhere close remotely close to the snake-oil that is the high end audio game, but I've seen enough of it to actually make some pathetic attempts to steer folks away from that way of life.
Or maybe I just have a stick up my urethra. You be the judge
Forgot to say that this is an awesome post with lots of good points.post #11412 of 164206/29/14 at 11:53pmpost #11413 of 164206/30/14 at 6:27ampost #11414 of 164206/30/14 at 8:07am
Forgot to update you guys, but I ended up getting a Johnson Leathers N-200 (cafe racer style) and received it recently. I dropped by their shop and found that the size 38 fit me really well, so I didn't get any alterations to the dimensions done. I did however get one made to order with extra symmetrical pockets and vintage Talon zippers instead of the standard YKK ones, and chose the 2 oz black naked calf.
Alan was very helpful and interesting to talk to. He told me about how Talon went under as a company but was recently revived. The new Talon makes their zippers in Mexico, but the revered zippers they used to make were made in the US. He said that he found a stockpile of the old zippers in brass and bought about $15,000 worth of them so he would have a supply to make his jackets with. According to him, a large portion of his business comes from Japan, and his customers there like to have every component of their jackets American-made, so the vintage zippers are a must for them. He had a few silver colored ones left, so I had my jacket made using those.
I'm really happy with the jacket. This is my first leather jacket, so I'm not too well-versed in this area, but it seems like it's well-made and will last for a very long time. I initially was leaning towards a heavier leather, but after trying some jackets on in his shop decided that I'd rather have a less stiff one, since I'll be using this for general wear and not riding protection. Considering the quality, wait time, attention to detail, custom options, and price, I think Johnson is pretty hard to beat for what they deliver. Thanks again to Mr. Moo for posting about his shop; I don't think I would have found out about it otherwise as it isn't mentioned very often.post #11415 of 164206/30/14 at 8:32am
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Viberg Boots 5 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › ethan's Musing on the Near East 25 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 28 minutes ago
- › Crusty's "What I wore on this Date in History" - a walk down memory... 28 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 37 minutes ago
- › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review 38 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 48 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 49 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...