That look really works for the repro guys. Yeah, very Indiana Jones.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on Yesterday at 3:26 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever. Last post on 11/25/16 at 4:38am in Streetwear and Denim
- where to buy uniqlo online? Last post on 2/16/10 at 4:21am in Streetwear and Denim
- JUN HASHIMOTO AT PITTI 86 Last post on 9/12/14 at 1:58pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Using Gliptone on your leather jacket - recommended or not? From...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? - Page 716post #10726 of 166514/4/14 at 6:15ampost #10727 of 166514/4/14 at 6:42ampost #10728 of 166514/4/14 at 8:36ampost #10729 of 166514/4/14 at 8:49ampost #10730 of 166514/4/14 at 9:28ampost #10731 of 166514/4/14 at 9:44amQuote:Originally Posted by nicelynice
These jacket obviously aren't 10+ years old, but I want worn leather to look like this, not cracked and peeling
Go drum-dyed or go home
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
They use different dying processes? I have noticed that, for example, Drew's 5-zip looks great and doesn't show any signs of fading after ten or so years.post #10732 of 166514/4/14 at 9:53ampost #10733 of 166514/4/14 at 10:07amQuote:Originally Posted by chinesealpha
This is a pic of a Himel Bros. jacket made from Shinki horsehide, which is generally regarded as the best in the world. Mimosa bark tanned, aniline dyed. I'm not sure if it is spray-dyed (versus drum-dyed) but it sure looks that way. Spray-aniline dyed leather is the standard used in high-end repro flight jackets (Aero, Goodwear, Buzz Rickson's etc). Quite obviously, the dyed layer chips off pretty easily, giving rise to the crackly, spiderwebby wear patterns.
Just like slubby denim or scratchy tweed, spray aniline leather is a holdover technology whose flaws were once tolerated rather than venerated.
I own and love a beat-to-shit goatskin G1 from the 60s, but I wouldn't purchase a new jacket with spray-aniline leather. I know the cracking is to be expected, but to my eye, it just looks dried out and damaged. Too much patina, would you believe?
Cracking usually stems from not taking care of the leather properly while "browning" or "greying" comes from good wear and use. Most quality leathers will "brown" and "grey" over time because people are putting them to a lot of use. "Browning" and "greying" happens with jackets that are drum dyed (i.e. Vanson) as well as with jackets that are "spray" tanned (i.e. Chromexcel from Aero)... Even if both sides and the leather are dyed, it still will happen...You can see the beginnings of the process in the photo below...for a lot of people this process (earning one's "stripes," so to speak) is why they love these heavier jackets...
The last production meeting that we had with Aero included the topic of whether we should or shouldn't begin to carry Shinki hides...While Aero isn't sure (they like Horween's Chromexcel Leather better!), we're hoping that becomes a reality, as then we'll have two of the best leathers on Earth available for our customers!
Edited by AeroleathersTB - 4/4/14 at 10:29ampost #10734 of 166514/4/14 at 10:24ampost #10735 of 166514/4/14 at 10:36amQuote:
What in particular causes cracking? What can be done to prevent it?
Offering both Shinki and Horween CXL would indeed set Aero apart. I, for one, would certainly consider certain of Aero's broad assortment of models if offered in Shinki. That said, I inquired of Aero about this exact subject a short while ago, and its response suggested that Shinki is not being seriously considered. I hope you were able to change Aero's mind.post #10736 of 166514/4/14 at 10:41ampost #10737 of 166514/4/14 at 11:19amQuote:Originally Posted by Adroit
What in particular causes cracking? What can be done to prevent it?
Offering both Shinki and Horween CXL would indeed set Aero apart. I, for one, would certainly consider certain of Aero's broad assortment of models if offered in Shinki. That said, I inquired of Aero about this exact subject a short while ago, and its response suggested that Shinki is not being seriously considered. I hope you were able to change Aero's mind.
We use a product called Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator to keep our vintage jackets in good shape. Cracking is caused by the hide becoming dry. Dr. Jackson's is really good stuff...we've restored original 1930s jackets that were as hard as cardboard with it!
Aero is unsure about carrying the Shinki Hides because they look so much like their existing A-2 leathers--their "Jerky Horsehide"post #10738 of 166514/4/14 at 12:36pmpost #10739 of 166514/4/14 at 1:21pmpost #10740 of 166514/4/14 at 1:24pm
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Turnbull & Asser silk tie - unworn and boxed 2 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 2 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 2 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 5 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 5 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling 5 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 7 minutes ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 8 minutes ago
- › The Toronto For Sale Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway