• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this happen to you at restuarants?

Skip87

Reaction score
Sometimes when I go out with my girlfriend to a restaurant, the waiter will come up to us and ask us if we'd like to get started with some drinks. My girlfriend goes first and orders whatever she wants, usually a soda or lemonade. After that, the waiter looks over to me and if I say "I'll have a water" the waiter usually gives me a look that says "guy's too cheap to order a drink, or what?" This is annoying sometimes because a $2 soda isn't going to hurt my wallet as much as his. Just my random thought for the day...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure it does. It's called sales pressure.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you are saying that you are so insecure abou yourself that you have to pay to get it from the waiter, in the form of soft drinks?

Can I give you my Paypal address and you pay me, let say, $1 for each compliment that I give you?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skip87
Sometimes when I go out with my girlfriend to a restaurant, the waiter will come up to us and ask us if we'd like to get started with some drinks. My girlfriend goes first and orders whatever she wants, usually a soda or lemonade. After that, the waiter looks over to me and if I say "I'll have a water" the waiter usually gives me a look that says "guy's too cheap to order a drink, or what?" This is annoying sometimes because a $2 soda isn't going to hurt my wallet as much as his. Just my random thought for the day...

trust me, the waiter is not looking at you like that. you are telling yourself that.

i used to be a waiter and although we were encouraged strongly to make drink sales, i never minded (and my coworkers as well) to serve a round of waters if that was all they wanted. it never even crossed my mind that they were cheap or what have you.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe it does, but I don't pay attention to whether the waiter likes me or not.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Maybe it does, but I don't pay attention to whether the waiter likes me or not.

+1. Who gives a rat's ass what a waiter thinks? Every ****** look = poorer service = less money.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone just wanted to start a thread!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like water.

(+1 post count)

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obvious cat is obvious.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a waiter I definitely looked at people like that and my co-workers did too. They were usually the people who made the biggest scene about sitting at the best table acting like they were going to spend money. Cheap snobs who were not hungry enough for an appetizer but went through multiple baskets of bread. If people came in, were polite and respectful then no body ever frowned upon their drink order.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, when I waited tables I never cared if someone wanted a water. Sometimes people are big spending with expensive wines, sometimes they just want some water. Its not about individual orders, its about your average take at the end of the night.

That said, there were F***ers who would ask for water with a "whole lotta lemons and ............ where is the sugar?" Hillbilly lemonade.

In that case I would just charge them for a lemonade anyways. "Whether you make it or we do, its still water, lemons and sugar. You'll still pay for it and ours tastes better"

K

jkw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
That said, there were F***ers who would ask for water with a "whole lotta lemons and ............ where is the sugar?" Hillbilly lemonade. K

I can't work out if this is a joke or not
confused.gif
You have got to be ******* kidding me if it isn't!!That's absolutely ridiculous...

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkw
I can't work out if this is a joke or not
confused.gif
You have got to be ******* kidding me if it isn't!!That's absolutely ridiculous...

No. This man speaks the truth. The people who do this are a joke though.

humza

Reaction score
Hmmm, this has happened to me a couple times when I'm at an upscale restaurant. Sometimes, I prefer water with my food. Don't really enjoy super fizzy drinks or the like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics