or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Does this happen to you at restuarants?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does this happen to you at restuarants?

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Sometimes when I go out with my girlfriend to a restaurant, the waiter will come up to us and ask us if we'd like to get started with some drinks. My girlfriend goes first and orders whatever she wants, usually a soda or lemonade. After that, the waiter looks over to me and if I say "I'll have a water" the waiter usually gives me a look that says "guy's too cheap to order a drink, or what?" This is annoying sometimes because a $2 soda isn't going to hurt my wallet as much as his. Just my random thought for the day...
post #2 of 43
Sure it does. It's called sales pressure.
post #3 of 43
So you are saying that you are so insecure abou yourself that you have to pay to get it from the waiter, in the form of soft drinks?

Can I give you my Paypal address and you pay me, let say, $1 for each compliment that I give you?
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip87 View Post
Sometimes when I go out with my girlfriend to a restaurant, the waiter will come up to us and ask us if we'd like to get started with some drinks. My girlfriend goes first and orders whatever she wants, usually a soda or lemonade. After that, the waiter looks over to me and if I say "I'll have a water" the waiter usually gives me a look that says "guy's too cheap to order a drink, or what?" This is annoying sometimes because a $2 soda isn't going to hurt my wallet as much as his. Just my random thought for the day...

trust me, the waiter is not looking at you like that. you are telling yourself that.

i used to be a waiter and although we were encouraged strongly to make drink sales, i never minded (and my coworkers as well) to serve a round of waters if that was all they wanted. it never even crossed my mind that they were cheap or what have you.
post #5 of 43
Maybe it does, but I don't pay attention to whether the waiter likes me or not.
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
Maybe it does, but I don't pay attention to whether the waiter likes me or not.

+1. Who gives a rat's ass what a waiter thinks? Every shitty look = poorer service = less money.
post #7 of 43
someone just wanted to start a thread!
post #8 of 43
I like water. (+1 post count)
post #9 of 43
Obvious cat is obvious.
post #10 of 43
When I was a waiter I definitely looked at people like that and my co-workers did too. They were usually the people who made the biggest scene about sitting at the best table acting like they were going to spend money. Cheap snobs who were not hungry enough for an appetizer but went through multiple baskets of bread. If people came in, were polite and respectful then no body ever frowned upon their drink order.
post #11 of 43
Nah, when I waited tables I never cared if someone wanted a water. Sometimes people are big spending with expensive wines, sometimes they just want some water. Its not about individual orders, its about your average take at the end of the night.

That said, there were fuckers who would ask for water with a "whole lotta lemons and ............ where is the sugar?" Hillbilly lemonade.

In that case I would just charge them for a lemonade anyways. "Whether you make it or we do, its still water, lemons and sugar. You'll still pay for it and ours tastes better"

K
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKK3450 View Post
That said, there were fuckers who would ask for water with a "whole lotta lemons and ............ where is the sugar?" Hillbilly lemonade. K

I can't work out if this is a joke or not You have got to be fucking kidding me if it isn't!!That's absolutely ridiculous...
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkw View Post
I can't work out if this is a joke or not You have got to be fucking kidding me if it isn't!!That's absolutely ridiculous...

No. This man speaks the truth. The people who do this are a joke though.
post #14 of 43
Hmmm, this has happened to me a couple times when I'm at an upscale restaurant. Sometimes, I prefer water with my food. Don't really enjoy super fizzy drinks or the like.
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
I like water.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
(+1 post count)
+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Does this happen to you at restuarants?