• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graphic Tees: Why Do Most Suck?

Tic

Reaction score

Last edited:

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going through the t-shirt section of solisstyle yesterday and was appaled by how God-awful most all of them were. Only about 5% would I even consider wearing, let alone buy. You'd be better getting a novelty t from the clearance racks of Target.

That said, I do have quite a few graphic ts, although I realize they're orthogonal to the style prevalant on this forum. My favorite is a white t-shirt with a monochromatic Lichtenstein-style illustration of a woman praying a rosary. Strangely enough, it's from Drifter, who aren't exactly known for subtle, tasteful design.

I notice many of the high-end t-shirt companies try to rescue the graphic T form with uplifting, socially-conscious messages. These never fail to make me wince... I would strongly advise anyone not to go in this direction.

As I've said before, clothing in general is an abstract art form, but a graphic t can bring a tantalizing little touch of concrete meaning to it. Like everything, though, the t-shirt has to meet some minimum standard in terms of color and composition on its own to be incorporated into an outfit.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And to answer the question "why do most graphic ts suck?", the answer is because they're basically advertisments for themselves, even if they don't say "Ambercrombie & Fitch" in big honking letters on the front. The graphic t companies are constantly trying to one-up eachother with the obnoxiousness of their deigns, so as to arreest the attention of people who will then query the wearer as to the maker, and the company gets word-of-mouth.

Also, threadless Ts sometimes gety recommended here, but I've yet to see one I would wear. Full-color prints rarely work for t-shirts, IMO.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I've never found a graphic interesting or likable enough to want to wear it more than once or twice... Graphics get old fast.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
There are some interesting ones:
1247_white.jpg

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I've never found a graphic interesting or likable enough to want to wear it more than once or twice... Graphics get old fast.

Whenever I see the novelty Ts at Urban Outfitters, I always think that there must some wacky novelty t-shirt guy out there, and people say, "Oh, you have to see this guy, he always wears the craziest t-shirts!", and every time people see him, they're falling over themselves in paroxysms of mirth with his newest wacky find. But then maybe a few of them fall flat, maybe "Corn: Always Up in My ****" didn't go over as well as he expected, maybe on the odd day he makes the mistake of wearing the same t-shirt twice. Maybe he finds that his friends slowly start falling away, and that without his t-shirts, nobody has anything to say to him anymore. Maybe he starts spiralling slowly into alcoholism and depression, etc.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
There are some interesting ones:

Interesting... but look at those sleeves. I'd wear it under a hoody, but not by itself.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Haha, I wasn't really making a point of fit, I'm just saying that there are some decent graphics out there that people have put on shirts. I have only 3 (I think) graphic tees, all with nicely fitting sleeves. 2 are warhol factory x levis and... I forget what the third is. I don't think graphic tees are definitionally offensive, but they're sort of like modern poetry: there's just so much complete garbage out there that it's not really worth sorting through to find the good stuff.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Haha, I wasn't really making a point of fit, I'm just saying that there are some decent graphics out there that people have put on shirts. I have only 3 (I think) graphic tees, all with nicely fitting sleeves. 2 are warhol factory x levis and... I forget what the third is. I don't think graphic tees are definitionally offensive, but they're sort of like modern poetry: there's just so much complete garbage out there that it's not really worth sorting through to find the good stuff.

Agreed. Many of the so called "good" graphic tee sources seem nasty. Many of the ones that you might find at Target et al seem to be better...

djs488

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brohymn
Well call me tasteless too because that one is sweet.

Agreed. I think this is the best of the bunch.

One of my problems with graphic tee's is that, even if you find the one in a million good one, you can't wear it very often or it will get played out. With solid tee's you can wear them every week, or even more often.

hustlenflo22

Reaction score
While I'm not crazy about any of the ones you posted, I agree that graphic tees are something you have to be careful with--it looks best basic

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Whenever I see the novelty Ts at Urban Outfitters, I always think that there must some wacky novelty t-shirt guy out there, and people say, "Oh, you have to see this guy, he always wears the craziest t-shirts!", and every time people see him, they're falling over themselves in paroxysms of mirth with his newest wacky find. But then maybe a few of them fall flat, maybe "Corn: Always Up in My ****" didn't go over as well as he expected, maybe on the odd day he makes the mistake of wearing the same t-shirt twice. Maybe he finds that his friends slowly start falling away, and that without his t-shirts, nobody has anything to say to him anymore. Maybe he starts spiralling slowly into alcoholism and depression, etc.
Hah. I only rarely wear one graphic T and it came from UO. In my defense, it says, "Keeping it nerd free with my TI-83" on the front. I couldn't, in good faith, pass up an opportunity to own such a shirt and graphing calculator humor is not the type of humorous slogan T most people associated with such things would wear.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im found is the most interesting to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads