• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golf Clothes

ampire

Reaction score
I need to buy some golf clothing for my job. I am a financial planner.

Any tips? Never bought golf clothes before so I dont even know what to wear. Rarely played golf. I need to take some lessons so I need to buy some clothes, as its part of my networking.

danyllau

Reaction score
Checking the more private golf club's dress code is usually a good place to start. Most outline what can be wear on the field, fitness room, clubhouse, dinning lounge specifically. Of course, if you are playing at a particularly one you should check. EDIT: if you are just starting to learn in a public field, and you don't care about much potential client, pretty much anything goes, just make sure it's comfortable for u! example

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
you are always safe with a solid colored pique polo shirt(that fits, make sure the seams sit on your shoulders), and flat front khaki chinos.

ampire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
you are always safe with a solid colored pique polo shirt(that fits, make sure the seams sit on your shoulders), and flat front khaki chinos.
Ok, sounds like a good safe bet thanks. For shoes, any tips? all I have right now are some black leather nikes I wear to bars, some running shoes, and formal shoes (allen edmonds and cole haan). Im fresh out of college so I have no real basics.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ampire
Ok, sounds like a good safe bet thanks.

For shoes, any tips? all I have right now are some black leather nikes I wear to bars, some running shoes, and formal shoes (allen edmonds and cole haan). Im fresh out of college so I have no real basics.

You need a pair (or two) of Golf shoes with soft plastic spikes (many clubs and courses outlaw metal spikes). FootJoy is the top brand in golf shoes, but Nike, Ecco, and Addidas all makes golf shoes. I would go for the saddle style for the first pair (white leather + black/brown saddle).

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ampire
Ok, sounds like a good safe bet thanks.

For shoes, any tips? all I have right now are some black leather nikes I wear to bars, some running shoes, and formal shoes (allen edmonds and cole haan). Im fresh out of college so I have no real basics.

go into a store like Golf Galaxy, or Golf Smith. They usually have a wide variety of soft spikes golf shoes. My personal experience: Footjoy are nice out of the box, and stay comfortable, Nike are pretty stiff and take a long time to break in, and adidas is much like nike except not as stiff out of the box. Pick whichever brand fits your foot best, and whichever style you like, but I would warn you- the kind modeled after sneakers are not always acceptable, and are prohibited at many private clubs.

These are the Fooyjoys i wear

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
For some good shirts, look into Fairway and Greene (plenty of other makers in this field). They fit perfectly for golf (allow for more movement than traditional "polo" shirts) and are made of a nice cotton that better wicks away moisture. http://www.fairwayandgreene.com/

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
And I do like those Classics, but for a first pair of golf shoes, I think the all white look would end up a disaster. Get yourself some regular old FJ Dryjoys white with brown saddle that will work with all clothing. You want to focus on playing golf, not avoiding scuffing your white golf shoes... just my $.02

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A guy can never go wrong with this:
smile.gif

ev_caddyshack_070328_ssh.jpg

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
A guy can never go wrong with this:
smile.gif

ev_caddyshack_070328_ssh.jpg

"We're all gonna get laid!"

On the golf clothes front - khakis and polos are classic, but there's loads of other stuff out there these days that goes beyond. I just picked up a few RLX polos and pants from the RL sale - slimmer fitting than your average golf stuff, if you're into that sort of thing.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FreedBird
Polo shirts and khakis are classic

Yes and common on the Atlanta courses. Long shorts are sometimes acceptable here as well.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Okay here is my $.02 on golf wear.
I’m not a great golfer – I play to 16.3 hdcp right now, which is good enough that I don’t embarrass myself when golfing. I play about 40 work rounds of golf per year and I have some definite opinions on how to dress on course.

First off you need golf shoes – there is no substitute! White spectators style shoes are pretty common, as are solid black or brown. You’ll also see several sporty models out there that look more like casual shoes (Ecco has some nice ones) – avoid those till you know what you are doing. If you shoes choice comes down to style or comfort, pick comfort unless you plan to play most/all you golf in a power cart.

As for the clothes there seems to be three main golf styles:

“Conservitive” – think fuller cut pants – flat front or pleated, and golf shirts with collars

“European” – thin cut pants, flat fronts, white belts, slim shirts, bolder colours patterns

“Sporty” – pants that have jeans cuts, microfiber shirts, sneaker/casual style shoes – this can be done well but don’t go there yet.

All are "appropriate" on the golf course, but the conservative (could be blended with European look) is the safest choice for work golf for a new golfer and will be allowed at any club I know of. Once you are comfortable on the course you can expand out.

To be more specific – for pants, you can wear shorts as it is rare a course does not allow them and on hot days they are pretty common place even on the private golf courses (check first though). You can wear plaid or a solid, go with a microfiber – avoid cotton as the wrong cotton does not look good for golf. Pants are always a better choice, but don’t wear cotton chino’s. I know others have called them the classic golf pant – but they are not. It is like wearing them to work; people who do not care about style do it all the time, but a wool pant looks much better and is more appropriate. For golf on colder days a wool pant works, but Polyester under names like dry-fit or moister wicking etc. is more common. As polyester pants are machine washable and generally very breathable, these kinds of pants are great for the course. Again skip the cotton Docker chinos (Dockers does have some inexpensive golf pants though that may be an option for you.)

For tops, avoid the mock turtle neck look and stick with a collared golf shirt. You can grab something polyester (most likely under some trade name) or you can look at the high end cotton shirts – but skip the cheap cotton shirts.

Here a shot of Tiger, Phil and Adam Scott all sporting conservative golf attire:

610x.jpg

Adam Scott is worth a Google, he does a great job of having a conservative look but still with great style. If you can emulate his look you are doing well.

I suggest you shop for golf clothes at golf stores and you see some great options very fast. As for brands to look at - J. Lindeberg Golf – is one of the hottest right now – They fall more into the European category, by Adam Scott wears their clothes and he make they look more conservative then some of their other sponsored golfers. Correction he wear Burberry Also names like Nike, Addidas, Cutter and Buck, Auresus and Ashworth all have some decent offering at more approachable price point.

Here are two more examples.

Jesper doing a European look: Don't go to this look unless you can break par

oct31_parnevik_501x600.jpg

Davis Love III doing conservitive: Safe as it gets

oct31_love_438x600.jpg

jefe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Adam Scott is worth a Google, he does a great job of having a conservative look but still with great style. If you can emulate his look you are doing well.
I suggest you shop for golf clothes at golf stores and you see some great options very fast. As for brands to look at - J. Lindeberg Golf - is one of the hottest right now - They fall more into the European category, by Adam Scott wears their clothes and he make they look more conservative then some of their other sponsored golfers.

FYI, Adam Scott is sponsored by Burberry. JL for the most part only sponsors scandinavians

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads