or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What do you wear to a nice dinner??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you wear to a nice dinner??

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Ok, so I'm new to SF and thought this would be the best place to ask this question.

I'm going out to dinner with my girlfirend and was curious as to what kind of shirt I should wear. I'm 20 years old so nothing to "grown up" and don't want to spend TOO much money, under $100 if possible. I would like to just go to the mall and pick one up if possible, just need to know what brands/stores to visit.

Any help is appreciated.
post #2 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by apwrxmd View Post
Ok, so I'm new to SF and thought this would be the best place to ask this question.

I'm going out to dinner with my girlfirend and was curious as to what kind of shirt I should wear. I'm 20 years old so nothing to "grown up" and don't want to spend TOO much money, under $100 if possible. I would like to just go to the mall and pick one up if possible, just need to know what brands/stores to visit.

Any help is appreciated.


What do you mean by nothing "too grown up?"
post #3 of 33
Unless you have some sort of dress code to follow (depends on the place and occasion), why not wear whatever you wear any other day?

Otherwise maybe crisp jeans, dress shoes or boots, simple dress shirt and a sportscoat.
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
Unless you have some sort of dress code to follow (depends on the place and occasion), why not wear whatever you wear any other day?

Otherwise maybe crisp jeans, dress shoes or boots, simple dress shirt and a sportscoat.

Just my opinion - but "jeans" and "nice dinner" don't go together.
post #5 of 33
Showing up in a full suit can be off putting to women, especially around his age (20ish). Not saying it's a bad thing, but they're used to guys in sweats and hoodies.
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lel View Post
Showing up in a full suit can be off putting to women, especially around his age (20ish). Not saying it's a bad thing, but they're used to guys in sweats and hoodies.

Guys in sweats and hoodies are probably not going out to nice dinners - at least not while dressed in said sweats and hoodies.

While I recognize that nice is a subjective term - when I hear it, I think of places that, while they wouldn't have a strict dress code, would probably have a "no jeans, no open-toes shoes for men, collared shirts required" type code.

Didn't mean to imply full suit - but rather well pressed khakis / chinos (as a minimum.)
post #7 of 33
+1 for jeans, a dress shirt, and a sportscoat. Pressed chinos are also nice.

If it's too hot for a jacket, how about pressed chinos or lightweight wool dress pants and a dress shirt?

If you feel like buying something new, how about a well fitting and crisp white shirt for the summer? You'll look great at dinner and get lots of use out of the shirt. Make sure the shirt isn't too billowy, that the neck fits, and that the sleeves are the right length. If you're already stocked up with white shirts, try a pale pink or lavender. Either will look great under a blue blazer.
post #8 of 33
it depends on the place you are eating. tell us where and we can better aid.
post #9 of 33
Thread Starter 
I guess I should have been more specific. But thanks for all the suggestions so far. This place isn't exactly a restaurant where you would wear a suit, more casual, but not to the point that I could wear a simple T-shirt (sorry if thats confusing).

I'm probably not going to do the whole blazer thing, becasue it's going to be pretty hot and thats not really my style. I'll probably be wearing gray slacks and brown shoes and just needed a shirt to go with the outfit(not sure if thats a good idea either but it's sounds like it will look good).

Also I've been with my girlfriend for a long time (2 years), but we never went to a nice place, thats the main reason I'm asking. I doubt she would leave me if I dressed inappropriately, but I just wanted to look nice.
post #10 of 33
again, tell us the place and - assuming someone has been there - we can help.

is it a weekday or weekend reservation? what time is the reservation? is it just the two of you?
post #11 of 33
Dating two years, and going to your first nice restaurant meal; might she be expecting something from you besides an appropriate shirt?

post #12 of 33
Thread Starter 
In case you missed it I'm 20 and that wedding ring is the last thing on my mind...

But it's this place called PAZO its in Baltimore on a weekday. I just need good fitting shirt, I have a few but don't want to wear them becasue they don't fit the way I would like.

I'm 6' 165lbs if that makes a difference so I would like to know what brands have good shirts for slimmer guys.
post #13 of 33
people wear a wide variety of things to Pazo (for non Bawl-moreans, it's an upscale tapas place).. anywhere from jeans/shirt to dress pants and jacket, so anything in that range that you feel most comfortable in
where to go for shirts depends on how much traveling you want to do, and how nice you want it to be
Nordstroms rack occasionally has reasonable stuff; same with neiman's last call, though it's relatively picked clean of better deals; saks off fifth sucks at arrundel mills
If I had something to fit you, I'd offer to save you the hassle, though alas, not
one other consideration - if you have a nice outfit to wear, save the $100 and put it towards dinner (or the next dinner) as the small plates can add up
enjoy though, it's a fun place
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by apwrxmd View Post
I'm probably not going to do the whole blazer thing, becasue it's going to be pretty hot and thats not really my style...Also I've been with my girlfriend for a long time (2 years), but we never went to a nice place, thats the main reason I'm asking. I doubt she would leave me if I dressed inappropriately, but I just wanted to look nice.

Being with her for two years is an even better reason to go with a blazer.

You say it's not your style. Take it as an opportunity to upgrade your style. She's been with you for two years so she probably likes your style and would be perfectly fine with what you're going to wear. She likes you the way you are but I guarantee she'll love a grown up and sharper version.

Just don't mess it up and get something sloppy that looks like it was stolen from your dad.
post #15 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
Being with her for two years is an even better reason to go with a blazer.

You say it's not your style. Take it as an opportunity to upgrade your style. She's been with you for two years so she probably likes your style and would be perfectly fine with what you're going to wear. She likes you the way you are but I guarantee she'll love a grown up and sharper version.

Just don't mess it up and get something sloppy that looks like it was stolen from your dad.


Your right, I'm not opposed to blazers, just never owned one. But I don't have time to go out and try and find a nice on in the next 2 days. So I wanted to keep it simple because her friend just told me today where we were going and what I should wear. I think maybe for our anniversary I might pick up a nice blazer (I'll make another thread about who makes good ones then).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What do you wear to a nice dinner??