• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear to a nice dinner??

apwrxmd

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm new to SF and thought this would be the best place to ask this question.

I'm going out to dinner with my girlfirend and was curious as to what kind of shirt I should wear. I'm 20 years old so nothing to "grown up" and don't want to spend TOO much money, under $100 if possible. I would like to just go to the mall and pick one up if possible, just need to know what brands/stores to visit.

Any help is appreciated.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apwrxmd
Ok, so I'm new to SF and thought this would be the best place to ask this question.

I'm going out to dinner with my girlfirend and was curious as to what kind of shirt I should wear. I'm 20 years old so nothing to "grown up" and don't want to spend TOO much money, under $100 if possible. I would like to just go to the mall and pick one up if possible, just need to know what brands/stores to visit.

Any help is appreciated.

What do you mean by nothing "too grown up?"

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Unless you have some sort of dress code to follow (depends on the place and occasion), why not wear whatever you wear any other day?

Otherwise maybe crisp jeans, dress shoes or boots, simple dress shirt and a sportscoat.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Unless you have some sort of dress code to follow (depends on the place and occasion), why not wear whatever you wear any other day?

Otherwise maybe crisp jeans, dress shoes or boots, simple dress shirt and a sportscoat.

Just my opinion - but "jeans" and "nice dinner" don't go together.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Showing up in a full suit can be off putting to women, especially around his age (20ish). Not saying it's a bad thing, but they're used to guys in sweats and hoodies.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Showing up in a full suit can be off putting to women, especially around his age (20ish). Not saying it's a bad thing, but they're used to guys in sweats and hoodies.

Guys in sweats and hoodies are probably not going out to nice dinners - at least not while dressed in said sweats and hoodies.

While I recognize that nice is a subjective term - when I hear it, I think of places that, while they wouldn't have a strict dress code, would probably have a "no jeans, no open-toes shoes for men, collared shirts required" type code.

Didn't mean to imply full suit - but rather well pressed khakis / chinos (as a minimum.)

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for jeans, a dress shirt, and a sportscoat. Pressed chinos are also nice.

If it's too hot for a jacket, how about pressed chinos or lightweight wool dress pants and a dress shirt?

If you feel like buying something new, how about a well fitting and crisp white shirt for the summer? You'll look great at dinner and get lots of use out of the shirt. Make sure the shirt isn't too billowy, that the neck fits, and that the sleeves are the right length. If you're already stocked up with white shirts, try a pale pink or lavender. Either will look great under a blue blazer.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it depends on the place you are eating. tell us where and we can better aid.

apwrxmd

Reaction score
I guess I should have been more specific. But thanks for all the suggestions so far. This place isn't exactly a restaurant where you would wear a suit, more casual, but not to the point that I could wear a simple T-shirt (sorry if thats confusing).

I'm probably not going to do the whole blazer thing, becasue it's going to be pretty hot and thats not really my style. I'll probably be wearing gray slacks and brown shoes and just needed a shirt to go with the outfit(not sure if thats a good idea either but it's sounds like it will look good).

Also I've been with my girlfriend for a long time (2 years), but we never went to a nice place, thats the main reason I'm asking. I doubt she would leave me if I dressed inappropriately, but I just wanted to look nice.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
again, tell us the place and - assuming someone has been there - we can help.

is it a weekday or weekend reservation? what time is the reservation? is it just the two of you?

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dating two years, and going to your first nice restaurant meal; might she be expecting something from you besides an appropriate shirt?

AAAAAs_HOkcAAAAAAEz8CA.jpg

apwrxmd

Reaction score
In case you missed it I'm 20 and that wedding ring is the last thing on my mind...

But it's this place called PAZO its in Baltimore on a weekday. I just need good fitting shirt, I have a few but don't want to wear them becasue they don't fit the way I would like.

I'm 6' 165lbs if that makes a difference so I would like to know what brands have good shirts for slimmer guys.

drducky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
people wear a wide variety of things to Pazo (for non Bawl-moreans, it's an upscale tapas place).. anywhere from jeans/shirt to dress pants and jacket, so anything in that range that you feel most comfortable in
where to go for shirts depends on how much traveling you want to do, and how nice you want it to be
Nordstroms rack occasionally has reasonable stuff; same with neiman's last call, though it's relatively picked clean of better deals; saks off fifth sucks at arrundel mills
If I had something to fit you, I'd offer to save you the hassle, though alas, not
one other consideration - if you have a nice outfit to wear, save the $100 and put it towards dinner (or the next dinner) as the small plates can add up
enjoy though, it's a fun place

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apwrxmd
I'm probably not going to do the whole blazer thing, becasue it's going to be pretty hot and thats not really my style...Also I've been with my girlfriend for a long time (2 years), but we never went to a nice place, thats the main reason I'm asking. I doubt she would leave me if I dressed inappropriately, but I just wanted to look nice.

Being with her for two years is an even better reason to go with a blazer.

You say it's not your style. Take it as an opportunity to upgrade your style. She's been with you for two years so she probably likes your style and would be perfectly fine with what you're going to wear. She likes you the way you are but I guarantee she'll love a grown up and sharper version.

Just don't mess it up and get something sloppy that looks like it was stolen from your dad.

apwrxmd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reborn
Being with her for two years is an even better reason to go with a blazer.

You say it's not your style. Take it as an opportunity to upgrade your style. She's been with you for two years so she probably likes your style and would be perfectly fine with what you're going to wear. She likes you the way you are but I guarantee she'll love a grown up and sharper version.

Just don't mess it up and get something sloppy that looks like it was stolen from your dad.

Your right, I'm not opposed to blazers, just never owned one. But I don't have time to go out and try and find a nice on in the next 2 days. So I wanted to keep it simple because her friend just told me today where we were going and what I should wear. I think maybe for our anniversary I might pick up a nice blazer (I'll make another thread about who makes good ones then).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads