• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Talioring Story from the WSJ

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Isn't there a member on SF who works there?

Trevor Furbay, the owner.

Nice article.

Duveen

Reaction score
Funny thing is that from the forum, most of us know the story on all of these tailors. Truly few tailors in the old style, if we have uncovered most of them already.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was quite enlightening. Thank you.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tends to confirm my impression that the future of bespoke lies in Asia.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that might be the shift for most American consumers. That said, the row is still the only place to get decent customer service and fine tailoring.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
Tends to confirm my impression that the future of bespoke lies in Asia.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know you were a patron of "The Row," Coho. Could you please tell us which of those illustrious houses you have patronized and show us some of your garments? Thanks.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
I'm afraid that might be the shift for most American consumers. That said, the row is still the only place to get decent customer service and fine tailoring.

What about Italy, Coho? We absolutely cannot forget Rubinacci, Caraceni and Campagna (and any other tailors-not clothing brands like Brioni and Kiton-they don't count as Italian tailors-or tailors at all, for that matter-of this caliber in Italy whose names I cannot remember, unfortunately).

These Italian tailors provide customer service and tailoring that is about the same as Savile Row. Of course, that is based on what I have read both on SF, AAAC and other clothing forum and in clothing articles in clothing magazines, on the internet, etcetera.

The abundance of these very high levels of customer service and fine tailoring are not limited to Savile Row. However, these very high levels of customer service and fine tailoring are getting scarcer and scarcer in North America. That much I will definitely give you, Coho.

To the person that said that the future of bespoke lies in Asia, that is the case primarily for North America but it is also the case for those in Asia, South America, Australia and, if applicable, Antarctica (to a certain degree, anyway; Europe and Africa, not so much).

All countries in Europe (regardless of whether they are outside of or in the United Kingdom) and all countries in Africa are significantly closer to England and Italy, both of which, of course, are also in Europe-England in the United Kingdom and Italy outside of the United Kingdom-than the other continents are).

That is why the future of bespoke lies very little or not at all in Europe and Africa.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice read

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always enjoy reading your post. For me, Italy still presents a language barrier. What's bespoken has not always been achieved in the final product, at least by some examples I've seen here and on other forums, so I will only go to Italy when I've exhausted all my tailoring options in the English speaking parts of the world.
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
What about Italy, Coho? We absolutely cannot forget Rubinacci, Caraceni and Campagna (and any other tailors-not clothing brands like Brioni and Kiton-they don’t count as Italian tailors-or tailors at all, for that matter-of this caliber in Italy whose names I cannot remember, unfortunately). These Italian tailors provide customer service and tailoring that is about the same as Savile Row. Of course, that is based on what I have read both on SF, AAAC and other clothing forum and in clothing articles in clothing magazines, on the internet, etcetera. The abundance of these very high levels of customer service and fine tailoring are not limited to Savile Row. However, these very high levels of customer service and fine tailoring are getting scarcer and scarcer in North America. That much I will definitely give you, Coho. To the person that said that the future of bespoke lies in Asia, that is the case primarily for North America but it is also the case for those in Asia, South America, Australia and, if applicable, Antarctica (to a certain degree, anyway; Europe and Africa, not so much). All countries in Europe (regardless of whether they are outside of or in the United Kingdom) and all countries in Africa are significantly closer to England and Italy, both of which, of course, are also in Europe-England in the United Kingdom and Italy outside of the United Kingdom-than the other continents are). That is why the future of bespoke lies very little or not at all in Europe and Africa.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
I always enjoy reading your post. For me, Italy still presents a language barrier. What's bespoken has not always been achieved in the final product, at least by some examples I've seen here and on other forums, so I will only go to Italy when I've exhausted all my tailoring options in the English speaking parts of the world.

Thank you, Coho.
smile.gif

I agree with you 100% about the language barrier that Italy still presents (based on what I have read from fellow members of SF and AAAC and even based on what I have read in a few articles in clothing magazines and on the internet).

But what about the language barrier in Hong Kong and other parts of Asia, if there is one at all?

I also think that all aspects of quality of the bespoke clothing and shoes from England and Italy is much better to almost indescribably better than the bespoke clothing and shoes anywhere in Asia (other than the shoes from the two or three high end, highly reputable, high priced bespoke shoe makers in Japan, where the bespoke shoes are generally considered up to snuff with the bespoke clothing and shoes from England, Italy and the extremely few high end, highly reputable and high priced bespoke tailors and shoe makers in the USA).

It seems that it is only in the USA that the very high levels of customer service and the finest tailoring like that in Italy and especially in England (most of all, on Savile Row, at least in quantity/choice) are becoming scarcer and scarcer. This does not seem to be the case at all in England and Italy.

If only Italy had less or much less of that pesky language barrier (or better yet, no language barrier at all, but I can almost guarantee that Italy's pesky language barrier will never go away 100%, oh well), than Italy would, 100-1, have about the same sales as England in bespoke clothing and shoes.

Of course, when I say bespoke clothing and shoes in England, it is not just on Savile Row. Bespoke clothing and shoes in England is any city or town in England that has bespoke tailors and shoemakers that are of the same caliber that H. Huntsman, Paul Davies, Rubinacci, Bontoni, William Fioravanti and Perry Ercolino are of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads