or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I Need a burger recipe!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I Need a burger recipe!!

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Ok, so I am having a 4th of July party (in London on the 5th of July), and need a recipe for burgers. I normally throw in this, that or whatever strikes me at the time which usually works out pretty well. But in this case I am doing like 10 pounds of meat and don't have the time or the luxury of playing around with the recipe. This burger will be representing the great nation of America on foreign soil and needs to be excellent first time around.

So please SF, share your burger recipes with me. I need proportions because thats where I get screwy. I usually eyeball throwing in breadcrumbs, eggs, wostershire sauce, herbs, etc but no idea how to scale it up.

Thanks in advance,

K
post #2 of 28
I rec making mini burgers/sliders with a variety of flavours. That way your guests can sample a few tastes i.e.
  1. SW style with salsa and pickled jalapenos (prob fresh ones are harder to find in London), add avocado slices if you can find them.
  2. Shrooms and sauteed onions, worsterchsire sauce can be added here
  3. ... got to run, this made me hungry

post #3 of 28
First thing is the meat you use. 80% meat, 20% fat makes the best burger. You don't need to do anything to make it taste good just salt & pepper.
post #4 of 28
I use this Jerk Burger recipe from epicurious.com with 80/20 beef. It was a hit every time I made it. The last time I made these, all the guys went for seconds, one went for third (they were all 6+ ounces, too). In fact, I'm making these again tomorrow. They're not exactly "American," but I guarantee nobody will complain. Edit: add some minced cilantro in the mayo for added herby goodness.
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKK3450 View Post
Ok, so I am having a 4th of July party (in London on the 5th of July), and need a recipe for burgers. I normally throw in this, that or whatever strikes me at the time which usually works out pretty well. But in this case I am doing like 10 pounds of meat and don't have the time or the luxury of playing around with the recipe. This burger will be representing the great nation of America on foreign soil and needs to be excellent first time around.

So please SF, share your burger recipes with me. I need proportions because thats where I get screwy. I usually eyeball throwing in breadcrumbs, eggs, wostershire sauce, herbs, etc but no idea how to scale it up.

Thanks in advance,

K


I like chopped rosemary in mine. Scale-wise with 10 pounds of meat, I haven't a clue. I usually chop half a sprig for a 1/2-3/4 pound burger, but it also depends on how strong you want it.
post #6 of 28
Lots of salt, pepper, and garlic powder before cooking. That is all.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post
First thing is the meat you use. 80% meat, 20% fat makes the best burger. You don't need to do anything to make it taste good just salt & pepper.

+1. He who make good suit make good burger. Ancient Chinese proverb.
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thanks, I'm already doing 20% fat, so thats there. Seasonings arent that hard, but I'm trying to figure out how much of the binding stuff to put in. Eggs, breadcrumbs, etc... The purist in me says just meat, but binders really do seem to help in the final burger

K
post #9 of 28
80% lean, lots of pepper, salt and then add olive oil and work through in an attempt to coat the fibriles. The oil is the trick (Schlow burger -- chef from Radius in Boston). Don't overwork the burger formation

then fried onions -- slice thin and cook in fair amount of oil until golden -- then let drain and they'll crisp up nicely

mayo with horseradish and some lemon juice

and the best cheddar-type cheese you can find.

good rolls
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKK3450 View Post
Thanks, I'm already doing 20% fat, so thats there. Seasonings arent that hard, but I'm trying to figure out how much of the binding stuff to put in. Eggs, breadcrumbs, etc... The purist in me says just meat, but binders really do seem to help in the final burger

K

Adding eggs and breadcrumbs are for meatloaf. You don't need those to make a good burger. Changes the texture.
post #11 of 28
If you already have 80% lean, you certainly don't need a binder. I usually just make plain burgers (with generous salt and pepper, of course), but sometimes I mix a ton of chopped basil with the meat. I mix in way more basil than I think it can handle, and it comes out beautifully. The final flavor isn't a strong basil flavor at all; rather, it's very delicate, very moist, and very delicious!
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
so you guys figure that if I am already using 20% Aberdeen Angus beef I can forgoe the eggs and breadcrumbs?

it sounds reasonable... I am torn

K
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
If you already have 80% lean, you certainly don't need a binder. I usually just make plain burgers (with generous salt and pepper, of course), but sometimes I mix a ton of chopped basil with the meat. I mix in way more basil than I think it can handle, and it comes out beautifully. The final flavor isn't a strong basil flavor at all; rather, it's very delicate, very moist, and very delicious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by horton View Post
80% lean, lots of pepper, salt and then add olive oil and work through in an attempt to coat the fibriles. The oil is the trick (Schlow burger -- chef from Radius in Boston). Don't overwork the burger formation then fried onions -- slice thin and cook in fair amount of oil until golden -- then let drain and they'll crisp up nicely mayo with horseradish and some lemon juice and the best cheddar-type cheese you can find. good rolls
+1 Another alternative is to use a mix of Ghee and olive oil. Have also had luck with adding parsely oil and pineola (pine nut or chalghauzaas) to the fattier meats. The smaller squattier ones from New Mexico work better than the longer Afghan ones. Duck fat is also VERY good here. Mole mix (w/ unsweetened chocolate) gives interest to turkey and chicken burgers - if you have to provide for non-red meat eaters.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
If you already have 80% lean, you certainly don't need a binder. I usually just make plain burgers (with generous salt and pepper, of course), but sometimes I mix a ton of chopped basil with the meat. I mix in way more basil than I think it can handle, and it comes out beautifully. The final flavor isn't a strong basil flavor at all; rather, it's very delicate, very moist, and very delicious!

+1. Salt, pepper, and basil is all you need. I'm by no means a great cook, but I get lots of compliments on my burgers using this recipe.
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarthewild View Post
Duck fat is also VERY good here.


No shit eh? Duck Fat?

I have a jar in the fridge from the last duck I roasted....

I love using it when roasting potatos, but if I can use it in burgers to...

K
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I Need a burger recipe!!