or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Forbes does Jermyn Street
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Forbes does Jermyn Street

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Interesting article on Forbes Online today about Jermyn Street and the different men's bespoke shirtmakers located there. Forbes Article Nice slideshow of the different makers as well. Bradford
post #2 of 30
The author twice (Pink, T&A) described cuts as "generous." And meant it as a compliment. This is not to mock his ignorance, but to rue the fact that people in authoritative positions (ie, writers for highly influential magazines) spread the appreciation for tent-like clothing. I can't imagine that the very large cuts commonly found in America would be flattering on even rather large men. Doesn't at least a little bit of a fitted shirt look better on everyone? Tom
post #3 of 30
Quote:
The author twice (Pink, T&A) described cuts as "generous." And meant it as a compliment. This is not to mock his ignorance, but to rue the fact that people in authoritative positions (ie, writers for highly influential magazines) spread the appreciation for tent-like clothing. I can't imagine that the very large cuts commonly found in America would be flattering on even rather large men. Doesn't at least a little bit of a fitted shirt look better on everyone? Tom
The T & A's I have purchased at NM either RTW or MTM are usually cut quite fitted to the body, as far as shirts in America go. Pink shirts however are indeed cut like tents. Jon.
post #4 of 30
He also gives Pink a pass by saying their shirts are made in Ireland, which no longer (apparently) is the case. It's also amusing how he acts as though Pink was a well kept secret that was discovered and forced by popular demand to open new stores, etc. Has any Jermyn Street maker (I use that accomodatively with Pink) marketed itself more shrewdly?
post #5 of 30
Quote:
He also gives Pink a pass by saying their shirts are made in Ireland, which no longer (apparently) is the case. It's also amusing how he acts as though Pink was a well kept secret that was discovered and forced by popular demand to open new stores, etc. Has any Jermyn Street maker (I use that accomodatively with Pink) marketed itself more shrewdly?
Charles Tyrwhitt. Jon.
post #6 of 30
That's an interesting question. Tyrwhitt doesn't seem as pretentious as Pink does, more of your down-home Jermyn street maker (my impression). Perhaps that is shrewder, just not as annoying.
post #7 of 30
Tyrwhitt's founders are former Bain consultants, so their shrewd business practices are no surprise.
post #8 of 30
After a quick stint of production in Morocco, I believe Thomas Pink shirts are again being made in Ireland. During the spring season, I noticed most of the tags sadly proclaimed "Made in Morocco" even though they raised the price by 5 dollars. However, over the summer and autumn, I noticed I couldn't find any Moroccan shirts in the store anymore and all had reverted back to the "Made in Ireland" tags. This still seems to be the case. Can anyone verify this?
post #9 of 30
Note: I agree; my T&A shirts are the slimmest fitting RTW shirts I own.
post #10 of 30
The sole T&A shirt I own is also my slimmest, even more so than my only Hilditch. All my Pink's had fit horribly and have required slimming to be done by the tailor, but now fit pretty well. I know there's a lot of Pink bashing on this board (and rightly so) but their stores here are one of the few places we American's have physical access to Jermyn St. shirts. Sadly, you'd be hard pressed to find a similar pattern (which can be quite interesting and distinct) or similar cutaway collar in any other American store and I think that's the allure to the Pink brand here. So I guess the moral of the story is: export more British shirts to America. By the way, does anyone know anything about the Thomas Pink Factory outlet in Ashford, Kent? Apparently it's the same shirts but permanently half off, with winter sales that drive the prices down even lower, thus making the shirts quite reasonable.
post #11 of 30
A T&A is not $250. I paid mine around £45 on sales at Harrods.
post #12 of 30
Budd is not hand sewn.
post #13 of 30
Quote:
A T&A is not $250. I paid mine around £45 on sales at Harrods.
How does what you paid in a sale affect what the retail price is?
post #14 of 30
In 2 very simple ways = 1) A white shirt from one of the best shirtmaker can not be at 65% off 2) If a brand sells at 65% off twice a year, who will buy at full price particulary when the price is $250 ? A brand which sells at 65% would devalue itself.
post #15 of 30
Well, your premise is not true in the United States. The shirts are indeed around $250, and many are closer to $295. In addition, every year in New York they have a sale where shirts are $100, towards the end of the summer. This is also around 65% off. And the brand has not devalued itself yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Forbes does Jermyn Street