or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories porn thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories porn thread - Page 6

post #76 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post
Is this the best type of maple?

I'd say yes, but I'm biased.

Happy Canada Day!
post #77 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfyf View Post
Truly the LabelKingest of umbrellas. Most fitting.
+1

I agree, LK never ceases to provide a most uniquely elegant example of an item. It's a magnificent piece. Thanks for posting the pic.
post #78 of 641
James Smith one-piece stick umbrella, polished maple, black nylon canopy.

With slip cover:



Without; note the two closure straps:



Nameplate logo; Brigg's go all the way around; Smiths are ovals:



Closeup of the ring and button fastener; identical to Brigg's:



Interior shot #1:



Interior shot #2:

post #79 of 641
Does anyone here have a Maglia Francesco? I think they make the private label umbrellas for Facconable and the better Brooks Brothers ones.
post #80 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123 View Post
Does anyone here have a Maglia Francesco? I think they make the private label umbrellas for Facconable and the better Brooks Brothers ones.
I have a couple from BB that were made in Italy but I don't know the maker. Both umbrellas are of better quality than my Brigg.
post #81 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Extremely slim and elegant solid stick English silk umbrella from Edwardian period with 18 carat gold engraving decorated ferrule and antique sterling silver eagle's head handle by noted Belgian silversmith, Delheid Freres

This is beautiful!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
James Smith one-piece stick umbrella, polished maple, black nylon canopy.

... Nameplate logo; Brigg's go all the way around; Smiths are ovals:

Yours is identical to mine apart from the name plate. Do you like the oval? I got mine without one because I think it looks a bit "stuck on"... and it didn't hurt my sense of righteousness that (I think, from memory) it was a bit cheaper than the ones with the plates.
post #82 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
Yours is identical to mine apart from the name plate. Do you like the oval? I got mine without one because I think it looks a bit "stuck on"... and it didn't hurt my sense of righteousness that (I think, from memory) it was a bit cheaper than the ones with the plates.

I ordered mine by telephone. I knew I wanted a one-piece stick umbrella in black. They have a limited selection of woods in one piece at any given time. They asked me how tall I was and then told me what was available. The oval nameplate did not come up at all. I just assumed that was on all their products.
post #83 of 641
Ah well, my memory of the purchase is a little hazy... maybe I just got lucky (from my perspective, anyway).
post #84 of 641
Does anyone know the ideal umbrella size to body height? Question to all here: do your umbrellas rise to exact height of the resting hand like so here:
post #85 of 641
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
Great pics - the silk looks beautiful. Does it really sound different when it rains?
A little, but it's nothing amazing. I'm usually scurrying to get out of the rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post
Does anyone know the ideal umbrella size to body height? Question to all here: do your umbrellas rise to exact height of the resting hand like so here:
Ideally, your arm will be slightly bent when holding the handle, with the umbrella's tip on the ground. Anything shorter and it will be awkward when you attempt to stroll with it like a cane, which is an almost irresistible temptation. Brigg makes three lengths to accommodate various heights, while Smith will cut to length. Personally, I would not consider a full-length umbrella that was not the proper length -- I lost the tip off my Fox and nearly went nuts until I got it replaced.
post #86 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
A little, but it's nothing amazing. I'm usually scurrying to get out of the rain.

Ah, not quite the romantic-sounding pitter-patter I was led to believe!


Quote:
Ideally, your arm will be slightly bent when holding the handle, with the umbrella's tip on the ground. Anything shorter and it will be awkward when you attempt to stroll with it like a cane, which is an almost irresistible temptation. Brigg makes three lengths to accommodate various heights, while Smith will cut to length. Personally, I would not consider a full-length umbrella that was not the proper length -- I lost the tip off my Fox and nearly went nuts until I got it replaced.

Absolutely agree - your arm needs to be slightly bent when holding the brolly vertical & by your side for it to be comfortable when walking. It feels weird otherwise. The Steed photo shows him holding the brolly out to the side and angled in front of him, so there's an optical illusion to its length, making it appear shorter. His brolly in the show is actually the right length for him I think, if I remember correctly.

I don't think there's a magic formula - when getting the Smith cut to size, I made a suggestion as to my preferred length, the staff advised a bit too and we pondered the imponderable for a few minutes before adopting a "suck it and see" approach which happened to get it right first time.
post #87 of 641
Doc, Are most of the umbrellas posted here, Briggs, Smiths, Fox, etc., strong enough at the tip to stroll with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
A little, but it's nothing amazing. I'm usually scurrying to get out of the rain. Ideally, your arm will be slightly bent when holding the handle, with the umbrella's tip on the ground. Anything shorter and it will be awkward when you attempt to stroll with it like a cane, which is an almost irresistible temptation. Brigg makes three lengths to accommodate various heights, while Smith will cut to length. Personally, I would not consider a full-length umbrella that was not the proper length -- I lost the tip off my Fox and nearly went nuts until I got it replaced.
post #88 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post
Doc,

Are most of the umbrellas posted here : Briggs, Smiths, Fox, etc. strong enough at the tip to stroll with?

The tip is not the problem. The weak point of a typical brolly is where the crooked handle is joined to the shaft. That's why one piece "stick" umbrellas are meant for use as walking sticks/canes: there is no such joint.
post #89 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
+1

I agree, LK never ceases to provide a most uniquely elegant example of an item. It's a magnificent piece. Thanks for posting the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
This is beautiful!


It really resembles a walking stick in slimness. I have not seen a modern umbrella that slim.
post #90 of 641
@ Manton,

I See. Thanks for the info.

@ everyone

Looking back at the pic I posted of P. Macnee, does anyone know why he buttons top and last and not the middle?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories porn thread