or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories porn thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories porn thread - Page 40

post #586 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveabdn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy J View Post

Did you get your set of Briggs Steve? What colours and woods did you go for - and are they being well used?

 



Not bought them yet Lucy, unfortunately my car had problems with the clutch and another few odds and ends so I bought a new one meaning I haven't really had the cash at the moment.

Dad - Oak handle, burgundy canopy

Mum - Maple handle, green canopy

Brother - Chestnut handle, black canopy

Me - same as my dad

On the Brigg website though when you try to personalise it only lists the black canopy as an option, how do you go about personalising the canopy colours?

If I were you Steve I would ring the shop in Piccadilly Arcade and talk to someone there about the colour choices. I popped in a few weeks ago when I was i London for the day and only just managed to resist buying myself another brigg!
post #587 of 641

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

 

 

These long umbrellas are made by Francesco Maglia for Mark Marengo Savile Row. Some of the models

like this one have the leather handle and tip that unscrews which is handy for packing in my wheely bag,

saves me having to cart it around airports etc looking suspicious !  Would be handy for the helicopter too I guess ! 

I think I paid £180 for this one which is quite a sum but its fabulous and offers a good

mix of the traditional Maglia make with the scarlet leather giving a contemporary twist. 

https://www.markmarengo.com/accessories/umbrellas/umbrella-667.html

Maglia make their own sticks and components and the process takes many weeks but apparently that's needed to give

the strength to flex in the most inclement weather , strong gusts of wind and driving rains ...

post #588 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhill View Post


CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90



These long umbrellas are made by Francesco Maglia for Mark Marengo Savile Row. Some of the models
like this one have the leather handle and tip that unscrews which is handy for packing in my wheely bag,
saves me having to cart it around airports etc looking suspicious !  Would be handy for the helicopter too I guess ! 
I think I paid £180 for this one which is quite a sum but its fabulous and offers a good
mix of the traditional Maglia make with the scarlet leather giving a contemporary twist. 
https://www.markmarengo.com/accessories/umbrellas/umbrella-667.html
Maglia make their own sticks and components and the process takes many weeks but apparently that's needed to give
the strength to flex in the most inclement weather , strong gusts of wind and driving rains ...

Does the fact that it's got a detachable handle create a point of weakness if the umbrella is being buffetted by heavy gusts?
post #589 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy J View Post


Does the fact that it's got a detachable handle create a point of weakness if the umbrella is being buffetted by heavy gusts?

Hi Lucy J, I take your point ...but the one I have has a very good steel screw-thread fitting that fits into another strong metal fitting , its not screwed into the wood or anything like that so it feels very strong once assembled together, and certainly I've not had any problem with it in strong winds or in even quite torrential rain . Of course we don't normally have hurricanes or tornadoes in UK , such as occur more frequently in the US., so I can't say if it would stand up to that amount of battering.... But for Italy where it was lovingly made and UK where it is happily and elegantly in use ( we do get a lot of rain ! ) I can greatly recommend this Marengo/Maglia umbrella.  

post #590 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhill View Post

Hi Lucy J, I take your point ...but the one I have has a very good steel screw-thread fitting that fits into another strong metal fitting , its not screwed into the wood or anything like that so it feels very strong once assembled together, and certainly I've not had any problem with it in strong winds or in even quite torrential rain . Of course we don't normally have hurricanes or tornadoes in UK , such as occur more frequently in the US., so I can't say if it would stand up to that amount of battering.... But for Italy where it was lovingly made and UK where it is happily and elegantly in use ( we do get a lot of rain ! ) I can greatly recommend this Marengo/Maglia umbrella.  

I will have a look at those next time I am in London (I get up there on average every two or three weeks). I spend most of my time in Brighton where its often a case of battling the coastal winds/gales/storms (delete as appropriate) with one of my collection of umbrellas. Default is a solid wood cherry Brigg but I'm a bit of an umbrellaphile and have a collection of almost 20 brollies of various shapes and sizes... do you think the Marengo/Maglia would hold up in gale force or storm force gusts?
post #591 of 641

Hi Lucy , maybe take a look at Maglia website, its available in English here if you don't speak Italian.

There's quite a good amount of information and some great pictures for umbrellaphiles.  They are among two of the oldest Italian

umbrella companies still making them in the traditional way

 

http://www.ombrellimaglia.it/inglese

 

Maglia make umbrellas by special order for many high end brands . It just so happens that I found mine in Mark Marengo Savile Row

who commissioned a number of different styles from them, and although quite expensive at £180 it compared favourably with some of

the British brands in terms of quality spec.v price. I liked the red leather handle as well , that's a signature Marengo touch.

 

There are various different styles availably not all of them with the detachable components that make them so perfect for travel.

One of the things Maglia are well known for is the continuous stick umbrella that really is all one piece and that is bent into shape over

many weeks so it flexes perfectly with the wind, in just the way that a living tree does. All clever stuff !  

post #592 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhill View Post

Hi Lucy , maybe take a look at Maglia website, its available in English here if you don't speak Italian.
There's quite a good amount of information and some great pictures for umbrellaphiles.  They are among two of the oldest Italian
umbrella companies still making them in the traditional way

http://www.ombrellimaglia.it/inglese

Maglia make umbrellas by special order for many high end brands . It just so happens that I found mine in Mark Marengo Savile Row
who commissioned a number of different styles from them, and although quite expensive at £180 it compared favourably with some of
the British brands in terms of quality spec.v price. I liked the red leather handle as well , that's a signature Marengo touch.

There are various different styles availably not all of them with the detachable components that make them so perfect for travel.
One of the things Maglia are well known for is the continuous stick umbrella that really is all one piece and that is bent into shape over
many weeks so it flexes perfectly with the wind, in just the way that a living tree does. All clever stuff !  

Thanks for this - I will check it out. A few of my umbrellas are "premium" makes - solid stick Brigg, Brigg golfer, solid stick Fox, solid stick 10-rib Longchamp, 10-rib James Smith (as well as a few vented golf umbrellas or lower-cost models).... The James Smith is a recent purchase so it hasn't really been tested by the weather here yet but I'm sure it will get a severe examination over the winter. Of the other "high end" brollies, I have to say the Fox feels the most fragile when the wind gets up to 25mph or so, whereas the Longchamp and the Briggs have all handled days where the mean speed has been 30mph or more, with gusts to 50 or 55 (as long as I hang on tight with both hands and keep the brolly pointing into the storm). Anything beyond that and I am trying to stay on my feet rather than keep a brolly up! I have a 25 minute walk to and from the office in Brighton so good rain protection is essential...!
post #593 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy J View Post


Thanks for this - I will check it out. A few of my umbrellas are "premium" makes - solid stick Brigg, Brigg golfer, solid stick Fox, solid stick 10-rib Longchamp, 10-rib James Smith (as well as a few vented golf umbrellas or lower-cost models).... The James Smith is a recent purchase so it hasn't really been tested by the weather here yet but I'm sure it will get a severe examination over the winter. Of the other "high end" brollies, I have to say the Fox feels the most fragile when the wind gets up to 25mph or so, whereas the Longchamp and the Briggs have all handled days where the mean speed has been 30mph or more, with gusts to 50 or 55 (as long as I hang on tight with both hands and keep the brolly pointing into the storm). Anything beyond that and I am trying to stay on my feet rather than keep a brolly up! I have a 25 minute walk to and from the office in Brighton so good rain protection is essential...!

Lucy J

You are really selling Brighton as one of Britain's premier holiday destinations .."gale force winds, 55mph gusts, trying to stay on feet etc.." ..sounds like there is imminent danger of Lucy blowing away into the English Channel Mary Poppins style ? At least you will do that stylishly ! 

post #594 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhill View Post

Lucy J
You are really selling Brighton as one of Britain's premier holiday destinations .."gale force winds, 55mph gusts, trying to stay on feet etc.." ..sounds like there is imminent danger of Lucy blowing away into the English Channel Mary Poppins style ? At least you will do that stylishly ! 

We have a lot of beautiful days as well, even in winter when a crisp bright cold day can be gorgeous!! It's just that when it's bad it can be REALLY bad, and I guess it would be the same if I was in Plymouth, Blackpool, Aberystwyth etc etc - we usually get three or four 70mph days each winter and when it's like that it really can be a case of trying to stay on your feet - my office is in one of the side streets leading down to the seafront and the winds really howl up those streets when its blowing a storm...

Against that, if its nice I have a 1 minute walk to the seafront on a glorious day...
post #595 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy J View Post


We have a lot of beautiful days as well, even in winter when a crisp bright cold day can be gorgeous!! It's just that when it's bad it can be REALLY bad, and I guess it would be the same if I was in Plymouth, Blackpool, Aberystwyth etc etc - we usually get three or four 70mph days each winter and when it's like that it really can be a case of trying to stay on your feet - my office is in one of the side streets leading down to the seafront and the winds really howl up those streets when its blowing a storm...

Against that, if its nice I have a 1 minute walk to the seafront on a glorious day...

Your Brighton tourist board can breathe a sigh of relief Lucy !  I don't know Brighton particularly but everyone says its a really cool place ... returning to the subject of umbrellas which is what this thread is about its a wonder don't you think that these traditional umbrella makers keep going ... considering their umbrellas last for years and even more because you see so few umbrellas in the City, when once they were as obligatory as the bowler hat . Long may these ancient umbrella making traditions continue !    

post #596 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy J View Post

We have a lot of beautiful days as well, even in winter when a crisp bright cold day can be gorgeous!! It's just that when it's bad it can be REALLY bad, and I guess it would be the same if I was in Plymouth, Blackpool, Aberystwyth etc etc - we usually get three or four 70mph days each winter and when it's like that it really can be a case of trying to stay on your feet - my office is in one of the side streets leading down to the seafront and the winds really howl up those streets when its blowing a storm...

Against that, if its nice I have a 1 minute walk to the seafront on a glorious day...

You should send a pic.

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply
post #597 of 641
[quote name="coloRLOw" url="/t/69654/the-umbrella-cane-riding-crop-and-miscellaneous-accessories-porn-thread/550_50#post_6626078"


[/quote]

what's the length on that black watch umbrella? Looks short.

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply
post #598 of 641
I've tried searching all over the internet and I can't find a retailer in NYC who carries Brigg umbrellas. Does anyone know of any retailers who do?
post #599 of 641
J Crew UES often has some Briggs in the basement.
post #600 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbya View Post


what's the length on that black watch umbrella? Looks short.

very very short...only 70cm

i did not check the measurements carefully when bought it online:brick:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories porn thread