or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories porn thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories porn thread - Page 20

post #286 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman70k View Post

A one colour canopy is a rare thing at Arnys.

dont you go after rare things?
post #287 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post
dont you go after rare things?

LOL! An astute observation my learned friend. To be honest, while Arnys umbrellas are beautiful and they do have solid coloured nylons, I could not justify the prices they were asking.

Furthermore, my check in luggage was already overweight as was my hand carry. Cost and logistics made it a difficult purchase to justify. Beside, I need to save some things for my next visit.
post #288 of 641
Thread Starter 
Brigg sells the covers separately, I believe. Mine didn't come with one. Last I checked, one of the online vendors wanted $50 for a cover.

Handsome umbrella, Lear.
post #289 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman70k View Post
LOL! An astute observation my learned friend. To be honest, while Arnys umbrellas are beautiful and they do have solid coloured nylons, I could not justify the prices they were asking.

Furthermore, my check in luggage was already overweight as was my hand carry. Cost and logistics made it a difficult purchase to justify. Beside, I need to save some things for my next visit.

i do like the brolly handle. solid coloured is best, lest it appear similar to a golf umbrella.

and why not get it and ship - leaving a good purchase behind is like leaving food on your plate. might not be there next time. finish your breakfast...
post #290 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear View Post
It was pouring with rain today, just as I happened to be passing the SAB shop. Here's a quick pic to show that the PoW sterling cap can be added to a solid stick umbrella. The photo is not so good, but the oak colour in the pic is pretty true to life. Best I can do for now. Size is 27" and the wood is oak.

Should it have come with a nylon cover?
Mine did (from factory the web shop)
post #291 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post
i do like the brolly handle. solid coloured is best, lest it appear similar to a golf umbrella.

and why not get it and ship - leaving a good purchase behind is like leaving food on your plate. might not be there next time. finish your breakfast...

If I showed you my credit card statement, you'd understand.

Discipline is knowing when to walk away. I had to exert a lot of discipline. The logistics excuse was a nice way of making it harder to purchase
post #292 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniboy27 View Post
Can someone tell me what the benefit (if any) is to a solid stick umbrella vs. metal shaft?

I assume solid stick can be cut to the user's requirements but is there any structural advantage to solid stick?

I've commented on this before somewhere in this thread but here's a reminder...

The disadvantage of a solid stick is the umbrella, when furled, isn't as slim as it is with a metal tube, and the umbrella itself is quite a bit heavier.

One possible disadvantage of the metal shaft is as follows - I used to have a metal tube Fox umbrella which was great until I got caught in a really violent storm here in Brighton - the wind along the seafront and especially along the side streets coming up from the seafront can be horrendous. The brolly was completely blown inside out, and it took me 10 or 15 seconds to get it closed. Whilst I was struggling to get the brolly down, the wind was still battering the underside of the cover, and when I finally got the brolly under control, I discovered that as well as three broken spokes, the central metal shaft was very badly bent. The brolly was completely beyond repair.

Given that about 80% of my time is in Brighton, battling the coastal winds, and that a decent proportion of the rest is amongst the tall buildings and wind tunnels of the City of London and Canary Wharf, I've used solid stick umbrellas ever since.

Hope that helps.....

Lucy
post #293 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy J View Post
One possible disadvantage of the metal shaft is as follows - I used to have a metal tube Fox umbrella which was great until I got caught in a really violent storm here in Brighton - the wind along the seafront and especially along the side streets coming up from the seafront can be horrendous. The brolly was completely blown inside out, and it took me 10 or 15 seconds to get it closed. Whilst I was struggling to get the brolly down, the wind was still battering the underside of the cover, and when I finally got the brolly under control, I discovered that as well as three broken spokes, the central metal shaft was very badly bent. The brolly was completely beyond repair.

As an extension of this, I thought the advantage of a signle-stick umbrella is that they're strong enough to use as a walking stick.

Can anyone verify this?

Stuart
post #294 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguscan View Post
As an extension of this, I thought the advantage of a signle-stick umbrella is that they're strong enough to use as a walking stick.

Can anyone verify this?

Stuart

In line with this, how do they deem the 'proper' height of the umbrella when they're cutting it to size?
post #295 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniboy27 View Post
Can someone tell me what the benefit (if any) is to a solid stick umbrella vs. metal shaft?

I assume solid stick can be cut to the user's requirements but is there any structural advantage to solid stick?

There are structural advantages; I will let Boris (The Blade) explain: Heavy is good, Heavy is reliable. If it doesen't work you can always hit them with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguscan View Post
As an extension of this, I thought the advantage of a signle-stick umbrella is that they're strong enough to use as a walking stick.

Can anyone verify this?

Stuart

You are correct. A stick umbrella can be used as a walking stick when it's not raining. Or see above.
post #296 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Brigg sells the covers separately, I believe. Mine didn't come with one. Last I checked, one of the online vendors wanted $50 for a cover.

I recall paying $35.00 for each of my Brigg covers, but that was a couple or so years ago.
post #297 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
I recall paying $35.00 for each of my Brigg covers, but that was a couple or so years ago.

My factory second brigg most certainly came with a nylon cover.

Regarding full length stick - after having one, I would never want a two-piece, metal, etc. I just love the solid feeling of a long thick wooden shaft.. MMMM...

But seriously, it's sturdy and still quite slim when the cover is on. I've been limping due to my shin split lately and it helps when used as a cane. And when it comes to it, it's a great weapon to keep the homeless and the unfortunates at bay.
post #298 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambeur View Post
My factory second brigg most certainly came with a nylon cover.

Regarding full length stick - after having one, I would never want a two-piece, metal, etc. I just love the solid feeling of a long thick wooden shaft.. MMMM...

But seriously, it's sturdy and still quite slim when the cover is on. I've been limping due to my shin split lately and it helps when used as a cane. And when it comes to it, it's a great weapon to keep the homeless and the unfortunates at bay.
The cover does help with giving the stick umbrella a slim appearance.
post #299 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambeur View Post
I just love the solid feeling of a long thick wooden shaft.. MMMM...

post #300 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniboy27 View Post

As regards enjoying the feeling of a long thick shaft - I couldnt possibly comment.......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories porn thread