or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? - Page 2819

post #42271 of 42790
Those seem a little bit of a mish-mosh to me, though I do like split toes. A whole cut does seem like a good option.
post #42272 of 42790

No

post #42273 of 42790
Big fan of split toes, but those don't look good.
post #42274 of 42790
Agreed on wholecuts. More interesting than regular old captoes but not straying into unsightly or unseemly territory.

Not that anyone else at the wedding will notice what shoes you're wearing.
post #42275 of 42790
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahneun View Post

I think you should opt for some wholecuts instead...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post

Those seem a little bit of a mish-mosh to me, though I do like split toes. A whole cut does seem like a good option.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
 

No

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Big fan of split toes, but those don't look good.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notwithit View Post

Agreed on wholecuts. More interesting than regular old captoes but not straying into unsightly or unseemly territory.

Not that anyone else at the wedding will notice what shoes you're wearing.

 

Appreciate all the input, the ones pictured are obviously not a contender any longer. Regarding wholecuts the impression I've gotten is that all the nice-looking ones are $$$ while the cheaper options usually don't have a nearly as nice shape and often a chisel toe that's a bit too pronounced for my taste. Then again I don't really know what particular models or even brands to look for so I might be mistaken here.

 

What about double-monks then, something like the Allen Edmonds Mora 2.0? Seems like you can find them for decent prices and they look pretty nice imo. As with almost everything else I buy I do prefer to buy stuff off ebay/grailed/b&s or on sale, but even so I realize I will probably have to increase my initial budget of 150$ a bit.

post #42276 of 42790
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofyoung View Post

Appreciate all the input, the ones pictured are obviously not a contender any longer. Regarding wholecuts the impression I've gotten is that all the nice-looking ones are $$$ while the cheaper options usually don't have a nearly as nice shape and often a chisel toe that's a bit too pronounced for my taste. Then again I don't really know what particular models or even brands to look for so I might be mistaken here.

What about double-monks then, something like the Allen Edmonds Mora 2.0? Seems like you can find them for decent prices and they look pretty nice imo. As with almost everything else I buy I do prefer to buy stuff off ebay/grailed/b&s or on sale, but even so I realize I will probably have to increase my initial budget of 150$ a bit.

Personally not a fan of wholecuts. I think they just look too bare. That said, if you're looking for one, Meermin has an OK looking model for like $200 or so.

Best wholecut I've seen is JL's Saint Crepin model a few years ago, where they cut a spiral shape out of a hide and used it to wrap around a last. Crazy expensive and obviously not a practical suggestion, but a fun model to look at.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



If your budget is around $150, maybe look into Allen Edmonds seconds (they have an online for slightly defective models that haven't passed quality control tests. Shoes are usually fine though, and the issues are so minor you'd be hard pressed to find them). Their factory seconds are usually $200-ish, but sometimes go on sale for $150. Otherwise, Meermin is really nice for $200-225. I think their designs are generally better than Allen Edmonds.

For something cheaper, there's Jack Erwin. Build quality isn't the greatest, but it's also not terrible.

If you don't wear suits often, I would go for some kind of style you can wear with other clothes. If you don't mind having a suit-specific shoe though, oxfords look great. Otherwise, maybe some kind of derby? From the stuff I've seen you wear, I assume a plain toe derby would be best. Not the most exciting design, but versatile and useful.
post #42277 of 42790
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


Personally not a fan of wholecuts. I think they just look too bare. That said, if you're looking for one, Meermin has an OK looking model for like $200 or so.

Best wholecut I've seen is JL's Saint Crepin model a few years ago, where they cut a spiral shape out of a hide and used it to wrap around a last. Crazy expensive and obviously not a practical suggestion, but a fun model to look at.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



If your budget is around $150, maybe look into Allen Edmonds seconds (they have an online for slightly defective models that haven't passed quality control tests. Shoes are usually fine though, and the issues are so minor you'd be hard pressed to find them). Their factory seconds are usually $200-ish, but sometimes go on sale for $150. Otherwise, Meermin is really nice for $200-225. I think their designs are generally better than Allen Edmonds.

For something cheaper, there's Jack Erwin. Build quality isn't the greatest, but it's also not terrible.

If you don't wear suits often, I would go for some kind of style you can wear with other clothes. If you don't mind having a suit-specific shoe though, oxfords look great. Otherwise, maybe some kind of derby? From the stuff I've seen you wear, I assume a plain toe derby would be best. Not the most exciting design, but versatile and useful.

 

Yeah I used to feel the same way about wholecuts being too bare, but just googled again and realized I actually don't mind that any longer, as long as the shape is nice.

Anyway Meermins look really good, really like most of their designs. Price is slightly higher but same as you I prefer them over both AE and Erwin, and especially against Erwin the finish looks so much nicer.

 

Wearing them with other clothes is actually a reason I'm also leaning towards double-monks. Already have a pair of derbies (albeit with a futuristic sole) with a clean upper, but I think some Mallorcas could look really good with black jeans and a tucked t-shirt/shirt, filling a more different function than another pair of derbies would. Also can't see much reason why they wouldn't work equally well with a charcoal suit

(would almost certainly get them topied, thin enough to still look sleek but still beefing up the sole slightly to make them easier to wear in a more casual way)

post #42278 of 42790
For buckles I prefer a single monk. Not so much so that I own one, but it's what I would buy.

Don't have a helpful suggestion for one off the top of my head.

Those double monks look good however. Much better choice than the other shoes.
post #42279 of 42790
You can wear double monks with suits.

Also prefer single monks over double, with the caveats that:

1) I think it's easier to have an ugly single monk than double.
2) Single monks can sometimes look bad until you try them on in-person with tailored clothing.
3) Double monks are probably easier to wear with non-tailored clothing.
post #42280 of 42790
post #42281 of 42790
Is this AMI overstitch jacket too tight, not sure if I should keep it? This is with a dress shirt underneath, I don't know if I could fit a larger sweater underneath, but I'm not sure that's the intended purpose for this style of jacket? Mostly just concerned about the upper arm area.




post #42282 of 42790

I like the fit of that, but can understand any Hulk concerns with an overly zealous flex of the biceps

post #42283 of 42790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiLam View Post

I like the fit of that, but can understand any Hulk concerns with an overly zealous flex of the biceps

It's a problem, I have a small frame and waist, I'm 5'10 165, but my arms are nearly 16". It looks silly when my arms are bent and the jacket is pretty snug.
post #42284 of 42790

 

Marni.

Unsure whether they would make me too tall. 6'3 and the sole is 1.5".

 

 

Also, anyone familiar with the quality of Ann D sneakers?

My all white Cons are falling apart way too fast. Have looked at alternatives from brands like Novesta, Spalwart, etc but I'm not that into those.

post #42285 of 42790
the soles are very thin, but they're extremely comfortable to wear. pretty wide foot bed. i was too lazy to vibram mine, but you should if you plan to wear them (though it will mess up the aesthetic).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?