or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Question re: RRL (Double RL) Jeans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question re: RRL (Double RL) Jeans - Page 15

post #211 of 296
What's up with this stretch model?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ralph-Lauren-RRL...3%3A1|294%3A50

Haven't seen or read about this one before.
post #212 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
if you wash all the starch out it's going to be extremely hard to fade soft denim and once you do there will be little contrast in any of the creases.
Just like the case of my RRLs. Oh wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
sanforized raw will fade faster than one wash stf because they apply the starch after they sanforized the denim. soaking does little to disturb the indigo or starch but a rinse cycle does a lot.
That's assuming that all brands put the same amount of starch in their jeans, whether STF or sanforized; that's a fallacy. Take a look at post-soak pics of Japanese STF repros and see how they STAND UP BY THEMSELVES. Clearly, they've held on to more than enough starch after the wash. Compare that to sanforized jeans like 5EP or a lot of what Cone puts out (Crate, rag&bone, etc.) and the Japanese repros look like they're made of solid steel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
Just look at rinsed jeans, there is a lot of roping and distress around the rivets. It's obvious one wash puts the jeans through a lot and will take off a shade of indigo, making less potential for contrast.
Do you mind if I ask if this is coming from personal experience or from reading other posts? Also, are you confusing "one-wash" with "rinsed?" Usually when people say "one-wash" they are talking about a pair of jeans that were unsanforized and then soaked in water.

The visual difference of RRL's rinsed vs. raw is noticeable but I don't buy the "less potential for contrast" one bit. Assuming you wash and wear the two pairs the exact same way, at the end of a year or more they're going to be looking nearly identical. Take the 5EPxSFs, for example. While they were sanforized many still went ahead and gave an initial soak. When you take a look at the evolution pictures they all look about the same with the only real difference being the amount of wear put in to each pair. Hell, some people even washed theirs more than others but they still looked about the same.
post #213 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
since when does 'one wash' mean 'soaked'. one wash = rinsed or washed once in the machine.
Since... a while. Blue in Green is an example off the top of my head who uses "one-wash" to mean a pair of unsanforized jeans soaked in water. Link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
yeah I am aware that stf can stand up on their own because they are action packed with starch but we were talking about rinsed vs rigid rrls.
Even the rigid RRLs aren't super starched compared to other brands. You were the one who said, "sanforized raw will fade faster than one wash stf because they apply the starch after they sanforized the denim" so I corrected you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
I bought my friend a pair of rinsed RRLs off ebay and ironed and starched the hell out of them because I'm sure that will give them better fades.
I thought you wore yours for 8 months before their first wash. So what are you talking about..?
I was disproving your point that jeans that are heavily starched have better fades and somehow more contrast. It's internet hype started as a misunderstanding. Those older gen "rigid" RRLs were as soft at the beginning as the rinse models are today and yet they still came out beautifully. In fact, I believe your words were, "fucking awesome."
post #214 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
rigid rrls around 3 months

[shitty picture removed]

well whatever you can argue about it but there is a reason to wash/soak as little as possible. Each soak/wash takes out two crucial ingredients, indigo and starch, however little and will diminish their ability to have higher contrast fading with each application of water.

Does it matter, depends on the wearer, to me not really since I prefer vintage fades myself.

3 months in and you're already preaching others on denim?

Here is an example of a "˜holy grail' denim Sugar Cane 1947 from Grand Master Ryu that was washed every month for a year



More incredible stuff (Ryu has owned and faded hard dozens of jeans, all w/ regular washing) here:

http://letgoasyoulike.fc2web.com/denim.htm
post #215 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
btw those fades would have had more contrast fading if he didn't wash them frequently, why would anyone argue about this..? I guess I forgot I'm not on Sufu.

Right. Feel free to look up pictures of nicer looking Canes that have been worn for the same amount, on SuFu or here. Good luck.


I posted about Ryu because you're making, at least to my eyes and several others, a generic statement. Also, Ryu have managed to create great fades on a dozen of different jeans from different makes, some of which aren't "designed for contrast".


In any case, you won't see much contrast in ANY 4-months jeans (unless they're pre-distressed, of course ). Exaggeration much?
post #216 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
most of this stuff looks bad and horribly washed out. kids this is why you shouldn't wash every day

Have you considered those jeans might not be "designed for contrast".

In any case, I bet these still look better than your jeans. Oh wait, you haven't posted pic of yours yet.
post #217 of 296
you reek of teenager
post #218 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
btw, RRL mens jeans have ALWAYS been stiff. The only 'soft' rrl raw jeans were the 'womens' models which weren't starched for added comfort. Which doesn't surprise me that half the guys wearing rrl jeans here own and resell womens models because they don't know anything and I feel sorry for the guys buying it up who are clueless as well.
Ok, I've had enough of this.

You're talking out of your ass, pure and simple. The denim RRL used in the past is completely different from what is used today, not only in the amount of starch used but in the type of indigo blend as well as the cotton being hairy as opposed to flat today. The slimfit, the pair you see photographed, is a mens model. Not only can I attest to these facts but so can a few other members on this forum who own pairs and, more importantly, Godmother, ex-RRL denim designer.

Fine, you bought a pair of RRL's a couple of months ago. Cute. Don't continue to make shit up without looking a bit more in your story first.
post #219 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
Ok, I've had enough of this.

You're talking out of your ass, pure and simple. The denim RRL used in the past is completely different from what is used today, not only in the amount of starch used but in the type of indigo blend as well as the cotton being hairy as opposed to flat today. The slimfit, the pair you see photographed, is a mens model. Not only can I attest to these facts but so can a few other members on this forum who own pairs and, more importantly, Godmother, ex-RRL denim designer.

Fine, you bought a pair of RRL's a couple of months ago. Cute. Don't continue to make shit up without looking a bit more in your story first.

Albert, I am surprised you are even wasting your time arguing with this kid, he just doesn't know and will never know...
post #220 of 296
24...

that just makes it more sad?
post #221 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooch4321 View Post
Albert, I am surprised you are even wasting your time arguing with this kid, he just doesn't know and will never know...
Eh... I wouldn't want someone to come across this thread and actually believe the B.S. he's putting out. It just sounds like a condensed form of all the misinformation and myths thrown around sufu by guys on their first pairs of jeans who read the posts of other guys on their first pairs. I get it, though. It's the internet and it's usually rare that someone will have the proof to discredit each and every one of your claims. Or that the person you're arguing against just happens to know the designer and her family of the jeans in question.
post #222 of 296
^ What's the point? Everyone knows RRL has a cut named "Slim Fit" in both men and women lineups, you referred to that yourself a few post up. Whodini's specifically referring to the men model.


BTW, not that you have any credibility to begin with

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
I did post some rrls on sufu, they looked like shit because I washed them often. I live in Miami where it's hot and humid, so not washing is not an option.

unfortunately I will be the first to admit that I will never have nice high contrast jeans unless I live somewhere cold because of all the washing. Unlike you guys, I'm not in denial about it.

Here're pics of some jeans I wore and washed liberally, for a year. I live in SOUTH TEXAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whacked View Post
Because whodini asked.

GAP Gough, at about 1 year worth of wear. Washed liberally.





Rag & Bone RB6. Some 9 months of wear, then given away. Old pics, and they really deserved better photos. Oh well.



http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...gh#post1467519
post #223 of 296
wow, dude you really have nothing better to do. when i was 24 all i cared about was getting fucked up and into some young broad's panties, not arguing over denim on the internetz trying to make myself feel superior. i mean do you actually think a girl gives a fuck about the fact you know about RRL denim or what kinda sweet fadez you got on your jawnz, fuck no! she'll you're a loser and take that tired little drink you bought her and bounce, so basically i am saying step away from the computer and put your money to good use like buying a hooker instead of a new pair of denim because that's about the only way i ever see you having a chance of even getting some pussy and that's by paying for it...
post #224 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
I don't know who godmother is and I'm sure they had nothing to do with designing RRL. A lot of people talk out of their ass, like you say, you are one of them.
Why don't you PM someone like LA Guy to clue you in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
SLIM FIT

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...A+rrl+slim+fit

whodini, you have lost all credibility on RRL.

3-4 button fly depending on the size (ONLY womens cuts - Mens Slim Fit RRL ONLY come with 5 button fly)
Great link. Too bad it's a newer generation and not the older generation I, and several others on here, own. You might have realized that when you didn't see the "RRL" stamped on my 5-pocket or if you noticed that my jeans have a zippper.

But go on, you were saying how I didn't know my own jeans.
post #225 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdenim View Post
I don't know who godmother is and I'm sure they had nothing to do with designing RRL. A lot of people talk out of their ass, like you say, you are one of them.

Godmother owns 5ep ( ). She designed for RRL. End of story. Argue with Whodini all you want, but this isn't up for debate. It's a fact.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Question re: RRL (Double RL) Jeans