or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How many miles did you run today?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many miles did you run today? - Page 653

post #9781 of 12858

Back from my wedding/honeymoon.  Got to run on some lovely roads in Germany/Spain but back in good old Tennessee.  I get hip bursitis and foam rolling helps.  A doctor told me there is a surgery to help with that but after reading a bunch it seems that it is inconclusive if the surgery helps hip bursitis or if it is just a placebo effect.

post #9782 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith447 View Post

Unfortunately none, I make a plan every week to get up early in the morning and do some running and light exercise but I couldn't get up early and take time to do this stuff frown.gif Hopefully I would able to get up early in coming days and start doing the stuff to stay fit.

Running early is pretty much a prerequisite, otherwise, other daily distractions inevitably arise.

4.5 miles for me today.
post #9783 of 12858
Another 8 this morning. Focusing on heart rate rather than pace right now.

Beautiful day in the city:

post #9784 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post

Running early is pretty much a prerequisite, otherwise, other daily distractions inevitably arise.

I understand your point to the poster that if you don't get out and go, you'll make excuses and not go. I agree.

Aside from that, I know most people in this section run early during the week, but I've never been able to do that. I run only after work during the weekdays and then usually run early (7 or 8 am) on weekends. I already get up at 5 a.m. on weekdays and would be too early for me to go run early. I actually enjoy (most times) the stress relief and relaxation of a run after work. I have no kids at home, so the requirements for my time after 5 pm are minimal.

About another week of recovery and I'll be back to running. Starting back with some core work today. I feel surprisingly good w/ no injuries from the ultra so should be good to go. There is a 50K on May 10th that I am considering.
post #9785 of 12858

I am an after work runner as well.  I assume if I had kids I would not get that luxury and would have to start earlier in the morning but currently it works fine.  

 

As for running I have been getting in 4.6 miles a day with little pain or effort.  Trying to plan some sort of race to get excited to train for but there is just not a lot in the area with a July or August time frame.  I will figure something out I suppose.

post #9786 of 12858
Good points. I was being somewhat melodramatic to highlight my point about distractions. I have two toddlers so this is the peak time of inability to work out unless you're willing to put in the mileage super early (and have an understanding spouse).

Occasionally, and definitely pre-kids, I did afternoon runs, which I loved because a) got more Vitamin D from the sun (felt great!), and b) instead of snacking probably out of boredom, I broke up my day with an afternoon jaunt
post #9787 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

I am an after work runner as well.  I assume if I had kids I would not get that luxury and would have to start earlier in the morning but currently it works fine.  

As for running I have been getting in 4.6 miles a day with little pain or effort.  Trying to plan some sort of race to get excited to train for but there is just not a lot in the area with a July or August time frame.  I will figure something out I suppose.

After doing 6.2-7.5 miles a day for about two months I pulled my hamstring. Now I've worked back up to 4.5-5 miles a day, and that seems to be the sweet spot where I do not encounter any discomfort. I try to run 6 days a week with one strength-training day. If I go over 5, something inevitably starts breaking down. I probably don't do nearly enough stretching or core exercises to prep for longer runs.
post #9788 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post

Good points. I was being somewhat melodramatic to highlight my point about distractions. I have two toddlers so this is the peak time of inability to work out unless you're willing to put in the mileage super early (and have an understanding spouse).

Occasionally, and definitely pre-kids, I did afternoon runs, which I loved because a) got more Vitamin D from the sun (felt great!), and b) instead of snacking probably out of boredom, I broke up my day with an afternoon jaunt

I have a toddler and am in the same situation as you. I've transitioned to being an early morning runner pretty easily, and although I enjoy the peace and quiet of being out there pre-dawn and it sets me up for a great day, I do miss being able to run in the afternoon like I used to. On the rare occasions that I get to do so now, I always jump at the chance, especially if the sun is out!
post #9789 of 12858
My problem with afternoon running is food. I much prefer to run on an empty or empty-ish stomach. I'd have to wait until dinner time to run.
post #9790 of 12858

I like to get out around 11:30a during the week and may be the only "lunch" runner here. I work from home and found that early morning runs were too disruptive to my workflow (I'm most productive first thing in the morning so I like to power through some work tasks) and late afternoon runs were too easily disrupted by life (dates, drinking, what have you).

 

So I've settled into midday runs for the last few years and it's worked out pretty well (I'm also with sugarbutch in that I prefer running on empty so delay actual lunch until after my run).

post #9791 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

 Trying to plan some sort of race to get excited to train for but there is just not a lot in the area with a July or August time frame.  I will figure something out I suppose.

You are not too far from Kansas City to run the Psycho Psummer 50K. Mid July timeframe. 3 loops around a lake on a great course. Technical trail with some rocky areas, great single track, and few short steep hills. Run by one of the best RD's for trail races and supported by ultra runners manning the aid stations. A great event and fun to be part of. http://www.psychowyco.com/id75.html
post #9792 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahspam View Post

I like to get out around 11:30a during the week and may be the only "lunch" runner here. I work from home and found that early morning runs were too disruptive to my workflow (I'm most productive first thing in the morning so I like to power through some work tasks) and late afternoon runs were too easily disrupted by life (dates, drinking, what have you).

So I've settled into midday runs for the last few years and it's worked out pretty well (I'm also with sugarbutch in that I prefer running on empty so delay actual lunch until after my run).

Once the weather warms up more consistently, I run a couple times a week at lunch near my office. Unfortunately, the roads and traffic near where I work do not lend themselves to being run on for most of the year.

When I was in the Marine Corps in North Carolina, I would get a few miles in every day at lunch time. Even when temps were consistently in the 90s with 90%+ humidity. Oh to be young and stupid again!
post #9793 of 12858
8.2 miles this morning. I stopped at a big fountain in front of a museum to tie my shoe and had a group of bats flay over my head so closely that I could feel my hair get ruffled. eek.gif

I see bats on my runs quite a bit and I never worry about them actually hitting me but this was more than a bit closer than I am used to.
post #9794 of 12858
5 miles this morning. Nice and brisk. I find that doing a shorter run leaves me enough time that even I'll do due diligence and stretch and roll.
post #9795 of 12858
Ran the Leona Divide 50M yesterday. Absolutely gorgeous new course (old course had some fire damage so they had to change it up this year). 46 miles of fairly smooth rolling single track. Conditions were about as perfect as could be. Some light rain & snow the night before and fairly cool temperatures throughout was the talk of the race (last year the temps were into the 90s by comparison).

As for the race, it was much harder than I was prepared for. I felt really strong through 27 miles (just over 5 hours to get to that point), but a tough 5 mile climb took a lot out of me and I struggled to muster enough energy to run for more than a few minutes at a time after that.

Finished in 12:22. Was hoping to break 12 hours but I really just wanted to finish since this was my first 50 miler. Looking forward to my next race (and being able to walk) smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How many miles did you run today?