or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How many miles did you run today?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many miles did you run today? - Page 623

post #9331 of 12844
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderline View Post

I'm 46, and I'm a long time runner, never did more than 1/2 marathon, signed up for the Big Sur marathon in late April. So, the specific training has begun. The main issue is knees, not worried about the cardio. Did 8 miles last saturday, 9 mile run scheduled tomorrow. Doing 3-5-3 during the T-W-Th part of the week, then the long run on the weekends.

We'll see how it goes. I don't care about my time, but I need to finish in <6 hrs or they sweep you off the course.

I've seen the route, the hills are intimidating.

That should be a really pretty Marathon. Just try to enjoy the views while you're doing those hills!

Yes, the key is the long runs on the weekend. You have plenty of time before April to work your way up to 20+ miles for the training run. Good luck.
post #9332 of 12844
Yes, Big Sur should be cool! I haven't run there, but I've cycled quite a bit of it.

17 miles for me today. Was to be longer, but unforeseen circumstances cut my will to go long (my wife's father died less than an hour before I started running, but he's in Alberta, so nothing we can do until she can head up there during the week). I'll have to go longer tomorrow... Race day is four weeks from tomorrow!
post #9333 of 12844
10.9 miles this morning in the calm before the storm. We are supposed to get up to 15" of snow over the next couple of days so who knows when I will get back out there. I don't mind running in deep snow, but that, on top of what we already have, is just too much. Of course, a forecast of 15" means we will probably get closer to 2".

Fueco - I'm sorry to hear about the death in the family.
post #9334 of 12844
9.0 miles today with my wife. Sunny, 50 F, no wind. It went well. Avg. pace about 9:15, with ~500 feet of hills.

I did 60 miles in December, the training plan has me doing 88 in January. Do you think this is too big of a jump?
Edited by borderline - 1/4/14 at 11:22am
post #9335 of 12844
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderline View Post

9.0 miles today with my wife. Sunny, 50 F, no wind. It went well. Avg. pace about 9:15, with ~500 feet of hills.

I did 60 miles in December, the training plan has me doing 88 in January. Do you think this is too big of a jump?

28 miles doesn't sound like too big of a jump up from 60 miles. Depending on how you spaced out those 60 miles, the extra 28 could be just a bit extra tacked on to those runs or maybe just an extra 3 or 4 seven+ mile runs. Very doable depending on your time.
post #9336 of 12844

~12 miles and ~2k elevation trail run this morning. Turned a corner and almost collided with a big ass deer. Not sure which of us was more scared in that moment (We don't see much wildlife in the local hills here so it was quite unexpected)

post #9337 of 12844
~17 miles on trails today.
post #9338 of 12844
This afternoon, I took advantage of the moderate temperatures-upper 20s--and ran 4 miles--slippin' and sliding on the ice and snow. All over town, there are piles of tree limbs from last week's ice storm. In the next 24 hours, we are expecting 12 inches of snow. On Monday and Tuesday, dangerously low temperatures are in the forecast. This will be a challenge!
post #9339 of 12844
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer View Post

This afternoon, I took advantage of the moderate temperatures-upper 20s--and ran 4 miles--slippin' and sliding on the ice and snow. All over town, there are piles of tree limbs from last week's ice storm. In the next 24 hours, we are expecting 12 inches of snow. On Monday and Tuesday, dangerously low temperatures are in the forecast. This will be a challenge!

I'm hoping we get enough snow that my office actually closes on Monday (it's never happened since I've been there but I've heard tales of times past). If the office is closed I'm going to head up to the Independence Oaks county park near Clarkston and try to get about ten miles in on those trails. It should be a blast. Even if the office is open, I may have to show up late just so I can go run there.
post #9340 of 12844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

28 miles doesn't sound like too big of a jump up from 60 miles. Depending on how you spaced out those 60 miles, the extra 28 could be just a bit extra tacked on to those runs or maybe just an extra 3 or 4 seven+ mile runs. Very doable depending on your time.

I'd also say it depends on what you are training for and what you normal training runs are like. If you are a 100 mile per week guy and training for fast marathon or 100 mile race, not a big deal. If you have never ran that much before, ramping up to that level is a good jump and may be tough to do. 10% per week would take you to 88 by end of the month if you ended Dec at 60 / week. 88 is way too much for me and anything more than 60 / week for more than 2-3 weeks require me to have a very low recovery week and some tapering afterward. Then again, I'm older (48). Your body and health will tell you what you can handle.
post #9341 of 12844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

I'm hoping we get enough snow that my office actually closes on Monday (it's never happened since I've been there but I've heard tales of times past). If the office is closed I'm going to head up to the Independence Oaks county park near Clarkston and try to get about ten miles in on those trails. It should be a blast. Even if the office is open, I may have to show up late just so I can go run there.

Inde Oaks is a great park! Snow, I can handle. I'm concerned about the double digit wind chill that is predicted for Monday and Tuesday.
post #9342 of 12844
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingin' it View Post

I'd also say it depends on what you are training for and what you normal training runs are like. If you are a 100 mile per week guy and training for fast marathon or 100 mile race, not a big deal. If you have never ran that much before, ramping up to that level is a good jump and may be tough to do. 10% per week would take you to 88 by end of the month if you ended Dec at 60 / week. 88 is way too much for me and anything more than 60 / week for more than 2-3 weeks require me to have a very low recovery week and some tapering afterward. Then again, I'm older (48). Your body and health will tell you what you can handle.

Very good point. My statement was based on the assumption that 60 miles in December was not out of the ordinary for the OP.

And you bring up the most important part in the end: listen to your body.
post #9343 of 12844
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingin' it View Post

I'd also say it depends on what you are training for and what you normal training runs are like. If you are a 100 mile per week guy and training for fast marathon or 100 mile race, not a big deal. If you have never ran that much before, ramping up to that level is a good jump and may be tough to do. 10% per week would take you to 88 by end of the month if you ended Dec at 60 / week. 88 is way too much for me and anything more than 60 / week for more than 2-3 weeks require me to have a very low recovery week and some tapering afterward. Then again, I'm older (48). Your body and health will tell you what you can handle.

I'm talking about monthly totals, not weekly! I did 60 in December and need 88 for January. I've done a few half marathons and I'm training for my first marathon in late April. I'm not trying to do anything crazy, if I had a goal it would be to be <5 hours. I might be more ambitious but the hills on that run are kind of brutal.

The main thing for me is to keep the knees in decent shape. In general, if it hurts, I'll back off.
post #9344 of 12844
I would think that 88 is a reasonable step up. Do listen to your body!

I've gone from 25+ to 65+ per week in the past four months. I also am known to drastically shorten or skip workouts if my body tells me to. I did just that today!
post #9345 of 12844
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderline View Post

I'm talking about monthly totals, not weekly! I did 60 in December and need 88 for January. I've done a few half marathons and I'm training for my first marathon in late April. I'm not trying to do anything crazy, if I had a goal it would be to be <5 hours. I might be more ambitious but the hills on that run are kind of brutal.

The main thing for me is to keep the knees in decent shape. In general, if it hurts, I'll back off.

Sorry, thought you were talking weekly. Yes, agree w/ all other comments. 88 is doable. Just don't load up in one week or do a super long run. Doing core work will help your knees and legs stay in shape too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How many miles did you run today?