or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How many miles did you run today?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many miles did you run today? - Page 592

post #8866 of 12863
I put in 10.3 miles this morning. I ran the same route as I did on Sunday but did it about 8 minutes faster. In Sunday's defense, the weather that day was rainy and foggy and for some reason that always makes me slow down (and I did walk for about a block at one point while fussing with the music on my iPhone) and today was cool, clear, and very crisp out but I was surprised at just how much of a difference the weather can make in my pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

I have a question as my Googling skills were not turning up anything useful:

I usually run in a 8mm drop.  My current NB 890v2 have an 8mm drop starting at roughly 28mm in the heel then going to 20-21mm in the forefoot.  I am thinking of switching to the NB 1400 with a similar drop but starts at 24-25mm in the heel.  Am I going to run into minimalist issues (calf or Achilles pain) or just lower life expectancy of my trainers?  I've read a 4mm drop and below start the true minimalist drops.

I am no expert, but I don't think you should experience too much of a difference because of where the drop seems to start. The main thing is the drop itself. I would imagine that unless you are really striking the sole/arch of your foot on the ground, it would still be the very forefront and the very back of the shoe (and the sides to a degree) where the impact is occurring.

FWIW though, I've never really considered the 1400s to be serious running shoes though. I think they look great, but are like the Sauconey Jazz in that they are a design that has been eclipsed by other technologies and are kept around more for aesthetic reasons. The 1400s look much better with a pair of jeans or casual chinos (if that's your thing) than the 890s would.
post #8867 of 12863
Two quality work outs today. 8 km this morning in 31 minutes/ 3.45 per km and 10 km home from work with a 4.00 pace. Both runs with negative splits after slow start/warm up. On the way home it was really pouring...
post #8868 of 12863
Back to running... I'm about to sign up for the Rocky Raccoon 100.

5.25 on trails last night. Out for more in a bit...
post #8869 of 12863
100 as in 100 miles or 100 kms? I mean, both are insane (no disrespect)...
post #8870 of 12863
Miles. My longest to date has been 52.4. We'll see how this goes.

Easy 3 this evening.
post #8871 of 12863
7 miles tonite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

I have a question as my Googling skills were not turning up anything useful:

I usually run in a 8mm drop.  My current NB 890v2 have an 8mm drop starting at roughly 28mm in the heel then going to 20-21mm in the forefoot.  I am thinking of switching to the NB 1400 with a similar drop but starts at 24-25mm in the heel.  Am I going to run into minimalist issues (calf or Achilles pain) or just lower life expectancy of my trainers?  I've read a 4mm drop and below start the true minimalist drops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

I am no expert, but I don't think you should experience too much of a difference because of where the drop seems to start. The main thing is the drop itself. I would imagine that unless you are really striking the sole/arch of your foot on the ground, it would still be the very forefront and the very back of the shoe (and the sides to a degree) where the impact is occurring.

FWIW though, I've never really considered the 1400s to be serious running shoes though. I think they look great, but are like the Sauconey Jazz in that they are a design that has been eclipsed by other technologies and are kept around more for aesthetic reasons. The 1400s look much better with a pair of jeans or casual chinos (if that's your thing) than the 890s would.

My 2 cents: I own both shoes (890 & MR1400). I actually own a lot of shoes, but really only have a few "go to" race shoes. I am very impressed with the 1400's. I wore them this year for a Half, a couple long runs to test them longer, and then on my last marathon. Nothing but positive things to say about them. Very light but still a good cushion. I'd disagree about wearing them with jeans. They are ugly as hell, but a great running shoe. If you like a "hard ride" shoe, these may not be for you. This only applies to the version 1 shoe, I see a version 2 just came out so no idea about them.
As for drop in shoes, until you get below 4mm, you don't have anything to worry about for minimalist. The weight will play into that as much or more than the drop. The 1400's are 7.1 oz's. Nothing to worry about. 4-8 mm drop are nice shoes to get a lower weight but still get a good mid foot strike. I still run in the Brooks ST5 racers and love them too for longer runs (12mm drop). If you want cushion with a "mid" drop, the Saucony Guide 6 is a really nice shoe too. 8mm drop with lots of cushion. A bit bulky to run long at 9.8 oz. but good for an hour run around the neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post

Back to running... I'm about to sign up for the Rocky Raccoon 100.

5.25 on trails last night. Out for more in a bit...
Hell ya Fueco, I was looking at that race myself but it's too early in season to train and too soon for me to hit a 100m. I did plan to get in a 50K early in year and there is a 100K in spring that I'm going to do. Rocky Raccoon is an awesome goal.
post #8872 of 12863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post

Miles. My longest to date has been 52.4. We'll see how this goes.

Easy 3 this evening.

Good luck!

9.8 after work. Great evening for a run.
post #8873 of 12863
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingin' it View Post

7 miles tonite.

My 2 cents: I own both shoes (890 & MR1400). I actually own a lot of shoes, but really only have a few "go to" race shoes. I am very impressed with the 1400's. I wore them this year for a Half, a couple long runs to test them longer, and then on my last marathon. Nothing but positive things to say about them. Very light but still a good cushion. I'd disagree about wearing them with jeans. They are ugly as hell, but a great running shoe. If you like a "hard ride" shoe, these may not be for you. This only applies to the version 1 shoe, I see a version 2 just came out so no idea about them.
As for drop in shoes, until you get below 4mm, you don't have anything to worry about for minimalist. The weight will play into that as much or more than the drop. The 1400's are 7.1 oz's. Nothing to worry about. 4-8 mm drop are nice shoes to get a lower weight but still get a good mid foot strike. I still run in the Brooks ST5 racers and love them too for longer runs (12mm drop). If you want cushion with a "mid" drop, the Saucony Guide 6 is a really nice shoe too. 8mm drop with lots of cushion. A bit bulky to run long at 9.8 oz. but good for an hour run around the neighborhood.
Hell ya Fueco, I was looking at that race myself but it's too early in season to train and too soon for me to hit a 100m. I did plan to get in a 50K early in year and there is a 100K in spring that I'm going to do. Rocky Raccoon is an awesome goal.

 

 What about the Rocky 50? It's the weekend after the 100...

 

 True story. This past weekend I did a 2X relay at the Furnace Creek 508 (normally a 508 mile bike race through the Southern California desert -this year shortened to 353 miles due to National Park closures/shutdown) with a friend from Houston. She was planning to run the Rocky 50. We talked each other into signing up for the 100... She's done it before. I love my crazy ultra family, I really do...

 

 On the topic of running shoes, I also tend to prefer shoes with a 4-8mm drop. My current pair are Brooks PureConnect in an awesome mega-bright orange. I got them on sale at Marshall's ridiculously cheap. I hate paying anything near full price for shoes, especially running shoes which I must replace every 2-3 months.

post #8874 of 12863
I'm on my third pair of PureConnects. Alternating between green and the nuclear orange Fueco has. Love 'em! The new version has a wrap-over tongue, though, and hasn't gotten much love.
post #8875 of 12863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I'm on my third pair of PureConnects. Alternating between green and the nuclear orange Fueco has. Love 'em! The new version has a wrap-over tongue, though, and hasn't gotten much love.

I ran in the Pure Cadence2's last night. They are a pretty decent shoe. If you are fans of Brooks Pure line, I'd give the NB MR1400 v1 a shot. They are on sale now due to v2 coming out. Running warehouse had them for $50, but I think they are running out of sizes now.
post #8876 of 12863
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingin' it View Post

7 miles tonite.

My 2 cents: I own both shoes (890 & MR1400). I actually own a lot of shoes, but really only have a few "go to" race shoes. I am very impressed with the 1400's. I wore them this year for a Half, a couple long runs to test them longer, and then on my last marathon. Nothing but positive things to say about them. Very light but still a good cushion. I'd disagree about wearing them with jeans. They are ugly as hell, but a great running shoe. If you like a "hard ride" shoe, these may not be for you. This only applies to the version 1 shoe, I see a version 2 just came out so no idea about them.
As for drop in shoes, until you get below 4mm, you don't have anything to worry about for minimalist. The weight will play into that as much or more than the drop. The 1400's are 7.1 oz's. Nothing to worry about. 4-8 mm drop are nice shoes to get a lower weight but still get a good mid foot strike. I still run in the Brooks ST5 racers and love them too for longer runs (12mm drop). If you want cushion with a "mid" drop, the Saucony Guide 6 is a really nice shoe too. 8mm drop with lots of cushion. A bit bulky to run long at 9.8 oz. but good for an hour run around the neighborhood.
Hell ya Fueco, I was looking at that race myself but it's too early in season to train and too soon for me to hit a 100m. I did plan to get in a 50K early in year and there is a 100K in spring that I'm going to do. Rocky Raccoon is an awesome goal.

 

Thanks for the review!  My last marathon which was a couple of years ago was ran in Nike Pegasus which are not light shoes.  1400's are cheap which was my thought on getting a pair.  6pm.com had some 890v2 so I got them for 44.99 with free shipping and Amazon has 1400's in my size for a little over 50.  Two pairs of running shoes for under $100 is a deal in my book.

post #8877 of 12863
Had a meeting this evening, but managed to squeeze in a 7 km easy run in just under 30 minutes. Passed through Copenhagens Christiania neighbourhood, famed/notorious for it's widespread use of cannabis. I literally ran through clouds of intoxicating smoke...
post #8878 of 12863
9.3 miles today w/ 1 mile intervals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffenbp11 View Post

Passed through Copenhagens Christiania neighbourhood, famed/notorious for it's widespread use of cannabis. I literally ran through clouds of intoxicating smoke...

Suppose I'll be the first one to grab the set up line...

Sounds like an easy way to get a runners high when short on time. biggrin.gif
post #8879 of 12863
I went to the gym after work this afternoon and don't normally enjoy running on the treadmill but decided to work a bunch of one mile sprints (well sprints for me anyway) into the rest of my workout

The times were: 6:58, 6:50, 6:46, 6:38. Each mile run had about 20 minutes worth of weight training between them.
post #8880 of 12863
5 miles of trails with friends this evening...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How many miles did you run today?