or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How many miles did you run today?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many miles did you run today? - Page 589

post #8821 of 10203
SB, what are you training for ? ((sorry if you already mentioned in a previous post..)
post #8822 of 10203
NYC Marathon
post #8823 of 10203
Wow - very envious . That tops my bucket list. I think I am qualified for 2014, but don' t really have the money .. Will have to settle for Berlin or Hamburg next year ( I've run Berlin three times and it is awesome and probably on par or above with NY, London and Chicago)

What time are you gunning for ?
post #8824 of 10203
The McMillan predictor suggests 3h50m, so I'll be shooting for that.
post #8825 of 10203
6.7 miles tonite. Ramping up the mileage next couple weeks for 50K at end of Oct.

SB- With all the training, mileage, and paces you've been hitting, you'll hit that 3:50 and probably will do much better.
post #8826 of 10203
I hope so, but it seems inconceivable. I may do some Yasso 800s to give myself some peace of mind/reality check.

BTW, everyone, I'm running NYC for a charity. If you'd like to know more about it or donate, send me a PM (I still make the effort to maintain some privacy so I'm not keen to post a link in the open forum).
post #8827 of 10203
5 miles this morning at 8:36 pace. I wish I could run that fast for longer distances, but right now it's totally unsustainable for anything longer than 5 or maybe 6 miles at most...I was dead by the end of my run today, but it felt great!
post #8828 of 10203
Are you training for something in particular, Beatlegeuse?
post #8829 of 10203
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Are you training for something in particular, Beatlegeuse?

Yep, the Runner's World half marathon in my hometown of Bethlehem, PA. It's my first competitive half, and from what I've read it's supposed to be pretty challenging with lots of hills. Even though I haven't run the course, I remember all the roads pretty well from growing up there. The main problem for me will probably be the climate, since I'm living down in Florida now. I've been running early in the morning when it's coldest here (using the term "coldest" very loosely here), but it will be much cooler up north in the middle of October at 8am.
post #8830 of 10203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

Yep, the Runner's World half marathon in my hometown of Bethlehem, PA. It's my first competitive half, and from what I've read it's supposed to be pretty challenging with lots of hills. Even though I haven't run the course, I remember all the roads pretty well from growing up there. The main problem for me will probably be the climate, since I'm living down in Florida now. I've been running early in the morning when it's coldest here (using the term "coldest" very loosely here), but it will be much cooler up north in the middle of October at 8am.

I don't think the climate change will be much of a hindrance to your performance. I lived in the heat and humidity of Eastern NC for years and anytime I would come home to Detroit in the fall and go for a run, the temperature change was always a welcomed relief. 100% of the time I would rather run in cooler, less humid climates than what you find in most of the Southeast. If it's particularly cold the morning of the half, my advice would be to show up extra early and go for a slow, easy jog for a mile or two, but work in a few speedy intervals to help warm you up and get your blood flowing before the start.
post #8831 of 10203
Thanks for the advice MP! I was actually just starting to think the same thing about the weather. The cool early autumn air will probably feel pretty nice compared to the hot and humid climate here. The hills are definitely going to be a challenge for me, since the land here is so flat. I need to find a good spot to do some hill training, maybe I'll have to drive to a bridge and start running over that.
post #8832 of 10203
Good luck with your half. The cooler weather will likely make you faster, not slower. Last week I got to run in temps 10-15º cooler than we've had here in SF, and I was easily going 10s/mile faster than I typically have been for my mid-week runs.
post #8833 of 10203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

Thanks for the advice MP! I was actually just starting to think the same thing about the weather. The cool early autumn air will probably feel pretty nice compared to the hot and humid climate here. The hills are definitely going to be a challenge for me, since the land here is so flat. I need to find a good spot to do some hill training, maybe I'll have to drive to a bridge and start running over that.

I agree with the other guys about climate change. Your body will not need to work anywhere near as hard to cool your system down. Cooler weather won't make you faster but will allow you to hold a pace for a longer time without raising your body temp or increasing your cardio effort. You should enjoy it. That may be offset by the hills you aren't used to. Recovery from them will take you longer if you aren't used to them. You'll have to keep the same effort going up them but not the same pace. If you don't have access to hills, maybe raise your treadmill up to get some hill work. It's probably to late to develop hill training now. Should be a great time there with the race and festival. Have fun.
post #8834 of 10203
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingin' it View Post

Your body will not need to work anywhere near as hard to cool your system down. Cooler weather won't make you faster but will allow you to hold a pace for a longer time without raising your body temp or increasing your cardio effort.

This more precisely states what I meant. smile.gif
post #8835 of 10203
Good luck on your first official half Betel. I can´t imagine the temperature will be a problem – quite the contrary. You won´t need to drink nearly as much water, which is good, since proper hydration can be a bit tricky when it´s the first time you are racing competitively. I´ve run 14 marathons and all my best times have been in cool weather conditions (my PR was set in pouring rain in Berlin). I´ve run 3 where the temperature on the second half has come close to 80, and I lost on average 5 minutes ( in one case a lot more).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How many miles did you run today?