• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High-end aquaria

parham

Reaction score
Amano_personal_tank_5.jpg

Seems like the Germans and Japanese take their aquariums very seriously, specifically planted tanks. No reefs for me, the salt is annoying.

Looking back in the history books, it seems that Japanese "Aquarist" Takashi Amano started this recent trend of bonsai-style aquaria, so I decided to order some of his books and ADA products to start a 3 gallon nano tank. The rimless tanks are handmade in Deutschland, and apparently come with a signed inspection letter. See, serious.

Anyone seen or have one of these? Two great examples are ADG in Houston, and the Nature Aquarium Gallery in Niigata, Japan. Mr. Amano's personal tank (above) is a work of beauty, and he's got some pretty slick tube-amps, gramophones, and vintage large-format photography gear in his office....

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Having kept aquariums in the past, I can only imagine how much work it must take to maintain that aquarium.
I would have to pay someone to take care of them for me.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As if being a physics and computer engineering geek wasn't nerdy enough, I was also into planted aquariums years ago. Except I didn't have access to the Amano and ADA equipment so I made my own CO2 generators using yeast and sugar water. Very ghetto.

Amano's Nature Aquarium series make very good coffee table books. I think I have every one of them.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Parham, can we have a link to the tank you got?

This is definitely something I will get into once I move into a larger place. I still have yet to decide if I will salt water or fresh water.

tundrafour

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Amano's Nature Aquarium series make very good coffee table books. I think I have every one of them.
They are great coffee table books; I have the first Nature Aquarium World sitting on mine right now.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by Reggs
Parham, can we have a link to the tank you got? This is definitely something I will get into once I move into a larger place. I still have yet to decide if I will salt water or fresh water.
ADG and Aqua Forest are both located within the US and sell Amano aquariums, supplies, etc. It's pretty expensive but well designed and good quality. Both the aquariums and equipment, as well as the associated aesthetic in terms of plant growth, arrangement, etc., are quite far removed from the typical plastic goldfish bowl with hot pink gravel, etc. (Or at least it seems that way to me.
smile.gif
) I coincidentally got an amazing deal on a brand new 45 centimeter ADA tank last night. I'm looking foward to setting it up but I'm trying to really plan things out carefully before I do so. I've never had an Amano tank before and I want things to go smoothly from the beginning...

parham

Reaction score
ADG and Aqua Forest are both located within the US and sell Amano aquariums, supplies, etc. It's pretty expensive but well designed and good quality. Both the aquariums and equipment, as well as the associated aesthetic in terms of plant growth, arrangement, etc., are quite far removed from the typical plastic goldfish bowl with hot pink gravel, etc. (Or at least it seems that way to me.
smile.gif
) I coincidentally got an amazing deal on a brand new 45 centimeter ADA tank last night. I'm looking foward to setting it up but I'm trying to really plan things out carefully before I do so. I've never had an Amano tank before and I want things to go smoothly from the beginning...
I bought my supplies from Jeff down at ADG. Nice guy, very responsive and helpful, as are the internet forums. God bless the internet. Deal on a 45? Very nice. I've only got a Mini-S (UPS says it'll be delivered this morning) and two micro-nanos using glass containers from a home store. The 45 is next once I get the process down. I'd be interested in hearing your proposed setup. I'll be back to post some photos and pics of my setup.

parham

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Parham, can we have a link to the tank you got?

This is definitely something I will get into once I move into a larger place. I still have yet to decide if I will salt water or fresh water.

I've got a small place as well, which is why I've got small tanks. Saltwater won't work for me, and I like the color green so there you go....

In my home office I have a 20 gallon long on a salvaged table, which is fairly mature and now houses the livestock as I wait for the nanos to cycle. There are some Bumblebee shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp, Otos, some anonymous snails, and a school of Black Skirt Tetras. The plantings consist of vals and Riccia fluitans attached to rocks; they are pearling nicely. The nanos are planted with Hemianthus and microswords. More details to follow (with pics).

Once the other 3 are set up I'll use the 20 as a breeding tank for Tilapia to go into an outdoor pond. I'm into aquaponics as well, but I'm trying to make everything aesthetically pleasing, with a mix of mid-century and classic pieces (tables, lighting, etc). Then comes CO2 and all that goodness.

I've got a couple of sources of inspiration:
miniiwagumi456pj6.jpg

11janfy2.jpg

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh my God, I've never been exposed to this stuff before. I surely can't afford any of Amano's stuff but I'm still ordering the 2008 catalog.

ThinkandDrive

Reaction score
Why did I read the title as "High-end arugula"?

I was all geared up for a luxury salad discussion.
confused.gif

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went ahead and purchased the catalog for ogling purposes. I think it came out to about $8.50, with free shipping on the item (apparently). I've been pricing smaller tanks and accessories, and it doesn't seem all the unaffordable, unless I'm missing something. Definitely has my interest.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Amano's picture above would not be out of place in SW&D WAYWT.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the top finishers from the 2007 Aquatic Plants Layout Contest:
11.jpg
21.jpg
25.jpg
10.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
The last picture is of the grand prize winning tank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads