• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that should have a better reputation...

True North

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post, long-time lurker. Finally decided to join in the fray. Another member posted a thread asking which brands are coasting off their reputation. On the other end of the spectrum, which brands do you think are undervalued? In other words, which brands have not quite caught on, or sell very high quality / stylish clothing, that is not reflected in the cost of their offerings?

The reason that I ask is that most people seeing our clothing are likely not as brand-aware as we are, whereas style and quality are much more obvious to most people. Any gems?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I consider Corneliani a good value, even at full retail. And JC Penney's Stafford T-shirts are surprisingly nice. For socks, Gold Toe hold up very well -- much better than some of their tonier brethren, though I admit I'm ruthless with my socks.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Common Projects. While pricey, they are considerably cheaper then the designer sneakers they compete with (and look a lot better than most all of them).

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds, due the myth of them being blobby "old men's shoes".

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like just about every corporate America manager views AE as pretty much the best shoe within his reach.

Lands End ties are not anything remarkable, but I don't think they are widely acknowledged to be even the decent product that they are.

I like my Fratelli Rossetti shoes a great deal - more than I like my Church's and AE, for example. I have found some random Spanish made shoes to be quite good. I don't even remember the brands though. I also have a pair of Henry Beguelin suede shoes that I like a great deal.

Gucci obviously has a fairly stellar reputation in the mainstream, but perhaps not on the forum. However, I have found the quality and styling of the apparel to be quite good on the whole. The same might go for YSL.

The Andrew's ties made in Italy seem pretty good.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Lands End ties are not anything remarkable, but I don't think they are widely acknowledged to be even the decent product that they are.

Lands' End's knits are as good as any I own, including my Charvets. They offer a lot of solids, but sometimes they throw something unusual into the mix. I bought a metallic gold there that might be my favorite tie.

Unit 91

Reaction score
I feel like just about every corporate America manager views AE as pretty much the best shoe within his reach.

I'm confused... you do or do not like AE?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's a good shoe, but boring and hardly under-recognized since it is the go-to "good shoe" for your average corporate or finance fellow.

@Doc Holiday: I didn't want to tip everyone off about Land's End ties, but they probably knew before me anyway.

pledge

Reaction score

Gucci obviously has a fairly stellar reputation in the mainstream, but perhaps not on the forum. However, I have found the quality and styling of the apparel to be quite good on the whole. The same might go for YSL.

+1. Too bad the same can't be said for their shoes.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Ok, I'll bite into this one LOL.

Filson luggage and wallets.

Agreed. To the general public undervalued cause no one knows of them. But to those who know, their reputation is stellar.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like my Fratelli Rossetti shoes a great deal - more than I like my Church's and AE, for example. I have found some random Spanish made shoes to be quite good. I don't even remember the brands though. I also have a pair of Henry Beguelin suede shoes that I like a great deal.
The only Spanish shoes I really like are Carmina. There are several other brands, like Yanko and Lotusse (of both of which I have had mixed experiences, and I believe that when it comes to quality they lag behind Carmina, although this is just something I "feel" - I am not an expert on leather quality and shoe construction) and Martinelli (I once bought a pair of Martinelli because it was cheap and they were nothing special, but now I have heard that the brand has been bought by a new company so the quality may increase - or not).
I believe that Spanish shoe industry, trying to compete with the Chinese, is trying to focus on "design", maybe more than on "quality".
So, back to the OP's topic, and when it comes to Spanish shoes, I do think that Carmina should have a better reputation; the "problem" with Carmina is not that it has a bad reputation, but that it does not seem to have any reputation at all! Even in Spain, most people I now never heard of Carmina, and I actually never tried them until I heard about them on this forum!

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belstaff. While they made a lot of jackets for movies, I don't think it's a well known brand - at least not in the Netherlands and I don't read a lot about them here.

BBRex

Reaction score
Is there a good place online to find out more about Carmina's offerings?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads