or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Brands that should have a better reputation...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brands that should have a better reputation... - Page 3

post #31 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfyf View Post
It seems SF's view is their marketing campaign is too much (i.e. they have one).

Someone posted a beautiful pair of Westons in the shoe porn thread a few months back. I have a friend who swears by Westons, but he did have have one pair's sole crack in half. That was a bit weird.

I have posted about this a few times. I find the construction is the same and the soles wear better. The biggest difference is that Weston upper leather starts out stiff and dry and smells a little funny. It breaks in and softens to a beautiful feel and patina that I prefer to the EG equivalent (I have no experience with Lobb). Weston shpes also seem a little lighter than EG in the same way bespoke does, but to a lesser degree.
post #32 of 97
Eric Glennie ties
post #33 of 97
Thank you, yachtie and epa.
post #34 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfyf View Post
It seems SF's view is their marketing campaign is too much (i.e. they have one).

Someone posted a beautiful pair of Westons in the shoe porn thread a few months back. I have a friend who swears by Westons, but he did have have one pair's sole crack in half. That was a bit weird.

I haven't noticed Weston ads being more frequent or obnoxious than Lobb's. I think the shoes are pretty enough in detail and shape, but the leather doesn't appear as enticing when new. I hear it ages very well, though--anyone know what that means?
post #35 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
I haven't noticed Weston ads being more frequent or obnoxious than Lobb's. I think the shoes are pretty enough in detail and shape, but the leather doesn't appear as enticing when new. I hear it ages very well, though--anyone know what that means?

see my post above. A more elaborate explanation would just be more words without more meaning. It ages well and looks and feels nicer.
post #36 of 97
Alfred Sargent shoes are underrated, and even underpriced.

Tricker's quality is top notch (although their style appeal is subjective)

Gravati make nice shoes
post #37 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
It ages well and looks and feels nicer.

Yes, I'll second that. They source their skins in-house and so have more control over quality. I would rate their skins as being way above that of Crockett and Jones, a bit above Edward Green, and on a similar level to Vass or John Lobb Paris.
post #38 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by athletics View Post
Abercrombie and Fitch - strange marketing, but you can't kill those clothes unless the trend dies first

They might hold up, but that doesn't mean they're not shit.
post #39 of 97
i know i'm going to catch a lot of flack for this but... barker black i have 4 egs and c&js (all for rl) and 1 pair of barker blacks. i enjoy my barker blacks as much as the others and am going to commission a mto pair this summer. i will agree that they would be a much better value if they were priced in line with c&j and church's, etc. but this thread is about reputation. imo they are a well made shoe and their ashfield last is quite attractive.
post #40 of 97
Nautica dress shirts. I don't think I've ever seen a bad collar on any of those.
MaineBay dress shirts. Hold up very well, I have one I had for about 10 years, washed 2xmonth
Stafford dress socks. Hold up very well, almost OTC, nice patterns
Firado suits. Tremendous, tremendous value.
post #41 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygreenspots View Post
Gucci obviously has a fairly stellar reputation in the mainstream, but perhaps not on the forum. However, I have found the quality and styling of the apparel to be quite good on the whole. The same might go for YSL.
+1. Just avoid the logoed stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
The only Spanish shoes I really like are Carmina. There are several other brands, like Yanko and Lotusse (of both of which I have had mixed experiences, and I believe that when it comes to quality they lag behind Carmina, although this is just something I "feel" - I am not an expert on leather quality and shoe construction) and Martinelli (I once bought a pair of Martinelli because it was cheap and they were nothing special, but now I have heard that the brand has been bought by a new company so the quality may increase - or not).
Lottusse was more or less the market leader for "high-end" dress shoes in Scandinavia for years, they've lost much of that position now, partly due to not modernising their chunky lasts, and partly due to some competition. The only real competition they had in the eighties and nineties came from Church's. Odd how brands get to acquire various positions in different markets - similarly, Sebago boat shoes were generally regarded as the "originals", rather than Sperry or others. Also I have to admit that RL offers terrifically good bang for the buck, again as long as you stay away from the logo stuff.
post #42 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sator View Post
Yes, I'll second that. They source their skins in-house and so have more control over quality. I would rate their skins as being way above that of Crockett and Jones, a bit above Edward Green, and on a similar level to Vass or John Lobb Paris.

This is an interesting take, and contrasts with that of the gent who works (worked) for Tricker's over at AA. If I recall, he suggested that Lobb and Green were on equal footing in terms of leathers, and both were a goodly step above the other Northampton makers.
post #43 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
This is an interesting take, and contrasts with that of the gent who works (worked) for Tricker's over at AA. If I recall, he suggested that Lobb and Green were on equal footing in terms of leathers, and both were a goodly step above the other Northampton makers.

I think the gentleman with the 1902 Sear's catalog was referring to Weston.
post #44 of 97
I like to say that Marks and Spencer cashmere sweaters are good value as some of their other products.
I also find Cordings corduroy trousers to be great for the price.
post #45 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
Barney's house label ties

+1, especially when you can pick them up on discount at a Barney's outlet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Brands that should have a better reputation...