• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

heynow

Reaction score
Just dropped a suit jacket off at my tailor that needed to brought from a 42 to a 38, and she charged me $200.00. Is this a reasonable price? i have never had to resize a suit before. The shoulders needed to be brought in a pinch, the sleeves shortened, and the length chopped a bit. Just so you know this is a $900 suit that was given to me for free.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's on the high end of what I'd expect to pay for similar work - but not out of the question. A considerable amount of hours goes into that kind of job. In some ways, while its pricey for you, the tailor doesn't make as much money doing it vs hemming pants or sewing on buttons.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what kind of jacket is it?

kali77

Reaction score
Seems on the high side to me.

I recently had two suits tailored

Waist taken in on both
One jacket shortened
Both sleeves shortened and buttons attached
Both pants shortened and cuffed

Plus a sportscoat I had the sleeves shortened

All this for a grand total of $238

Which I know is on the low side and I am a repeat customer, but will give you a comparative perspective.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoulder alteration is pretty pricey,my tailor once told me it would be $80 to change the shoulders,other parts are cheaper.

JR88

Reaction score
I would be more concerned about how good the tailor is than the price. I once had a suit jacket reduced from a 42 to a 40 (in NYC, for about $75), and that barely worked. I read somewhere that it's impossible to alter a suit down two full sizes (i.e., 42 to 38). If it works out for you, tell me the name of the tailor!

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR88
I would be more concerned about how good the tailor is than the price. I once had a suit jacket reduced from a 42 to a 40 (in NYC, for about $75), and that barely worked. I read somewhere that it's impossible to alter a suit down two full sizes (i.e., 42 to 38). If it works out for you, tell me the name of the tailor!

I agree with all of this completely. The tailor is the most important factor, regardless of the price, and 42 to a 38 is an extremely difficult task.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say excellent work is worth paying for.

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heynow
i hope its excellent work, if she destroys the jacket im not paying. Thats why when she asked if I wanted to pay now or at pickup, I said pickup. duh!

You may not pay, but you are out a $900 suit
confused.gif

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on the flip side,you are going to lose your jacket,better find a good tailor or sell the suit
smile.gif

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
I had two jackets recut from 40R to 38R, and the pants recut for $280 in Toronto, by a good tailor.

Happydayz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heynow
she told me "no problem!" and said it was pretty easy just timely, so thats why it was expensive.

if a tailor told me "no problem" for changing a jacket from a 42 to a 38 I would be rightfully concerned.

That is a significant decrease. Sure, anyone tailor can do it, but how many can do it and make the suit still look good?

I actually just had that issue with a suit of mine and tried to do the exact same thing; bring it from a 42R to a 38R. The tailor told me to just not even try it and just put the suit aside in case I ever get fat in the future. Not what I was looking for, but it was an honest assessment of what her skills were and I'm happy that she punted the problem rather than over-promising and under-delivering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads