• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Get Smart--- The Movie

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Saw Get Smart tonight. It was actually pretty good-- more than what I was expecting.

There were some slow parts, and some parts that were hard to believe, but I guess that's true of all "secret agent" movies, whether they're parody or not. I felt like this impersonated the TV series pretty well without overly doing it. They borrowed a lot of the more famous quotes from the TV Series, ie "Sorry about that, Chief." and "Would you believe [some crazy idea]?" "No." "How about [less crazy idea]?" "No." "How about [idea so pathetic it's funny]?"

Steve Carrell did a pretty good job channeling Maxwell Smart while making it his own at the same time. He brought his own comedic personality to the character rather than trying to be a complete copy of Don Adams, which I think worked out rather well.

Anne Hathaway was gorgeous throughout. Very sexy role to fill and she did it quite well. I think she was great in this movie.

Overall, the movie was pretty good. I was coming at it from the view of loving the TV Series, and I enjoyed it for what it was worth. My girlfriend had never seen the TV Series, and she really enjoyed the movie on its own merits, so I think a lot of people will enjoy this movie as well.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Saw Get Smart tonight. It was actually pretty good-- more than what I was expecting.

why go to a movie if you don't expect it to be really good?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wardrobe by Thick as Thieves?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anne Hathaway...
inlove.gif

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just saw this movie and wow did it blow. steve carrell is really not that funny. he needs his gang from his other movies to make him seem somewhat funny.

Fabro

Reaction score
The only reason I'm going to see it is Anne Hathaway. Don't care about the rest of the film.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the bits in the old show where that contraption would come down over their heads when Max would talk to the Chief. I have trouble watching the old show now that Max looks like the most annoying inlaw in my family.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta

I expected it to be good and funny. It was better than I expected, which is exactly what I said. You've never gone to a movie that you thought could be good or could be a complete flop?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta

I've been to movies expecting them to be really, really bad. Like, oh, Superman IV. We knew that would suck going in, and were not disappointed on any level.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
It wasnt as bad as the reviews, and there were a lot of good scenes in it I'm just curious how some of the jokes went over on someone who'd never seen the show, if they thought it was dumb or not. Like the classic "missed me by that much" line. Anne Hathaway looked AMAZING
inlove.gif
my favorite part was definitely the last act where they pay the homage to the original show with the Sunbeam red convertible (opening sequence car in seasons 1-2), the blue Kharmann Ghia (opening sequence car in seasons 3-5) and him wearing the one button 3 piece suit (as he did regularly in first 2 seasons) I thought chief's pinstripe suit at the end scenes looked great on Arkin. Bill Murray's cameo was unexpected and written the way it would have been done in the original show. oh yea, and it was cool to see Bernie Kopell do a cameo (the original Siegfried) and even deliver his lines O.G. siegfried style!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Wardrobe by Thick as Thieves?

lol I've been rewatching the original show on the dvd boxset after i started TaT and it's interesting how much of his outfits in the first few seasons mirror my own. Watching it i almost do feel like I could have done the wardrobing. It's nice to see that my TaT aesthetic has some foundation in 'authenticity' after seeing the show again after so many years.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not a movie snob, so if it can keep me entertained, I'm pretty much golden. Steve Carrell is adorable, and I wanted to give him a big hug in every scene. Anne Hathaway was STUNNING. She almost turned me, but not really.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont get what the big deal with hathoway is, is it that she isnt drop dead gorgeous and has some wierd looks which then makes her drop dead gorgeous to some people? because she isnt that great looking, and i wouldnt give her a second look on the street. i cant even imagine what she looks like with out all the makeup.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
i dont get what the big deal with hathoway is, is it that she isnt drop dead gorgeous and has some wierd looks which then makes her drop dead gorgeous to some people? because she isnt that great looking, and i wouldnt give her a second look on the street. i cant even imagine what she looks like with out all the makeup.

Sorry, we already have forum trolls here. Move along.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads