• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do I wear with these Lacoste Jeans, I'm Completely Clueless..

dohinc

Reaction score
I just bought these lacoste jeans at macys (I think they're these: http://shopapparel.lacoste.com/p/Low...-34/B0011UUM4M) I just graduated college and am going to be in NYC for work. I'm moving from the midwest and am pretty clueless, but I'd like to have some casual clothes for going to the bars, etc. Right now all I have really are some polo shirts from JCrew and Polo. For shoes I have a pair of your standard gray New Balances and Rainbow Sandals. What should I be wearing with jeans like these, I guess my worry is they're kind of darker than I'm used to and I'm not sure I have anything "nice" enough to accompany them with. I'd really like to not return them because it's difficult for me to find jeans that fit this nicely (I'm pretty tall and these looked nice at 34/34), but I'm so ignorant that I need a little help. My budget is kind of limited so general suggestions would be great..

datasupa

Reaction score
That Lacoste logo belt would match pretty well.

dohinc

Reaction score
Once again, I'm too clueless to interpret that, but I'll assume that was a joke at my expense. Really I'm not as dumb as that post sounded, but would like any advice someone may have. The jeans are darker than in the picture I think, so I guess my question is:

What can I wear with darker blue jeans (in an NYC bar setting) and not look like a complete tool?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you do a search and get some ideas rather than basically asking a bunch of guys how you should be dressing. You graduated from college after all.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you no access to ANY fashion magazine, man's store catalogues...etc?

Especially if you are wearing jeans to go to bars, trash magazines like GQ would be most appropriate for your perusal

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude....they're blue jeans. you can wear them with just about ANYTHING.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dohinc
Once again, I'm too clueless to interpret that, but I'll assume that was a joke at my expense. Really I'm not as dumb as that post sounded, but would like any advice someone may have. The jeans are darker than in the picture I think, so I guess my question is:

What can I wear with darker blue jeans (in an NYC bar setting) and not look like a complete tool?

Look at the link you posted; the model is wearing a belt w/ a Lacoste logo.

Beta

Reaction score
For shoes I have a pair of your standard gray New Balances and Rainbow Sandals.

Just graduated college indeed! I have both of those in the back of my closet
blush.gif

dohinc

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have helped so far, I'm probably being marsupialed about all of this, but coming from places where it's acceptable to wear anything, moving here will be a moderate culture shock for me. Teddieriley, you say to do a "search" instead of asking other men, well, I'm doing that but this is a message board full of people asking questions about what to wear. You seem to have over 2000 posts here so you should know that better than me. If your point was that what I was asking in particular was dumb I'd be much more inclined to agree with you, but seriously dude, it's not juvenile to ask for advice. And lee, I'm sorry but I've never opened a "fashion magazine" in my life, so I will check that out I guess, but thanks for the condescending tone
smile.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And lee, I'm sorry but I've never opened a "fashion magazine" in my life, so I will check that out I guess, but thanks for the condescending tone
smile.gif

Honestly...it's not a bad start. It gets generally ridiculed around here, but I find GQ to be a good resource for style tips for younger guys like you and me (I'm 23). Granted, you'll have to sift through some other articles but it's generally there. Get a 2 year subscription...it's, like, $20 bucks. Oh, and if you want ideas about what to wear with jeans...go to the Denim and Streetwear forum, get a nice hot pot of coffee going and spend a couple hours with the WAYWRN thread. In the end....they're just jeans...don't turn it into rocket science.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
On your way to the city, find a way to stop in Oklahoma City. (yah.. I know.. it's OKC but... )

stop in at Loveless boot company... It's web site is

http://www.lovelessboots.com

Talk to Gary or his daughter Sunny.. they will measure your foot 6 different ways, take a mold and then make you a pair of the sweetest bespoke boots you could ever want.

He made me a pair of Sea Lions and years ago, when you could get them... Anteaters and Sea Turtle boots. They feel like tennis shoes when you wear them and they last a life time.

dohinc

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm moving reallly soon. Also, I'm not sure that's really my style (haha, like I have one). I really hope I can still wear my New Balance's casually, they're so comfortable, but I'll have to see what everyone is wearing out once I get to the city. I was checking out that What are you wearing thread and no one was wearing sneakers with their jeans.... this SCARES ME!!

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a whole forum for streetwear and denim. Your time and efforts would likely be better spent on that side. You mentioned looking at the WAYWT thread. Continue to do so (there are hundreds of pages worth) until you get a feel for a look that you like. Find out the brands and go from there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads