• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Messenger Bag For School Use

Stripes

Reaction score
I'm starting college in fall, and I'm looking for a messenger bag that will allow me to haul around my Macbook, as well as a textbook. It's no problem if the messenger bag isn't padded, I can just throw my laptop in a laptop sleeve. I've been lurking here since March, so I know how much this kind of thread comes up. I've been researching this quite a bit lately, and just felt I could use some second opinions.

I'm willing to spend up to $300 if I'm buying a bag that is well constructed and will last me a long time. I'm not into bags with graphics on them, and I don't like the look of timbuk2 or any type like that. I would love to find a leather messenger bag that meets my needs, but I've found that to be very difficult.

These are the two that I have found that I like the most:

Courier Bag in Black Telun - http://www.acmemade.com/courier.html
I love the look of this bag. From the internal view, it looks like it could easily fit a textbook in the zip compartment.

Large Briefcase/Computer Bag - http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family
This bag looks to have more than enough room for everything I need, and would probably be my first choice as of right now. If I bought this bag, I would probably just buy a smaller bag for casual use.

I suppose I could always for the Robert Geller Fall '08 Large Calfskin Backpack.
tounge.gif

Any opinions on these or suggestions of other bags would be greatly appreciated.

Cali

Reaction score
Check out the Jack spade bags, always a bunch on ebay. Nice construction, very understated and well designed.

The filson bag is very heavily padded which I was not a fan of - like an inch of foam throughout the bag. Good to protect a laptop but kind of odd for an everyday bag. Of course it too is top notch in construction.

Django

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. I'm looking at the Frost River bags and they're kind of interesting; well priced too. I hate how they run their site like J Petermann though, I want to see some real pics.

http://www.frostriver.com/shop.html

Anyone know if the Steven Alan store in NYC still has the EG haversacks?

Stripes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Django
I'm in a similar boat. I'm looking at the Frost River bags and they're kind of interesting; well priced too. I hate how they run their site like J Petermann though, I want to see some real pics.

http://www.frostriver.com/shop.html

Would it kill them to use a picture?

I think interesting is a good word to describe the bags. Those are some strange colors in the drawings.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey, this is Jay at Atsui. I don't want to sound like spam, but I want to show off this MofM bag we are getting in a few weeks. This is the best design MofM has come up with yet and I am getting one for myself. Sorry, I only pictures of the utility bag, one I am getting. The messenger is same color and a touch smaller, but perfect for a lab top and a few text books. We carry a few from MofM each season which are collaborations with Master Piece. High quality and around $300 price range.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^^I really like that Jay. I'm also looking for a bag around that price range. I don't think I'll be going with yours b/c I wanted something more professional that I could use after school for work or grad school, but that's a sweet bag!

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Atsui
Hey, this is Jay at Atsui. I don't want to sound like spam, but I want to show off this MofM bag we are getting in a few weeks. This is the best design MofM has come up with yet and I am getting one for myself. Sorry, I only pictures of the utility bag, one I am getting. The messenger is same color and a touch smaller, but perfect for a lab top and a few text books. We carry a few from MofM each season which are collaborations with Master Piece. High quality and around $300 price range.

I like the third one from the right, will there be any other colors?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stripes,

I'm an affiliate member of this site and the largest Filson Flagship dealer in the Midwest. Here's the deal. Call the store at one of the numbers in my sig, mention you're from Styleforum and get 30 percent off that computer bag.

Deal?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bags ,of messengers ,they **** up ,your shoulders.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw it in the other thread just a few moments ago.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Rocks -
The pictures posted are all of the same bag, just different angles. We are only getting this color in 2 styles. We have other messenger bags available from the current MofM collection on our online shop, http://www.shop.atsuitokyo.com.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads