or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › What's your favorite U.S. city?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's your favorite U.S. city? - Page 3

post #31 of 91
Baghdad
post #32 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
I think some of the Eastern seaboard places can be charming in a scenic calendar/Thomas Kinkade kind of way.
Once you've been to NYC, you realize there is no other city on Earth that has as much going on.

Miami is nice, but not much to do besides beaching it and shopping malls of one type or another. Very boring in my opinion.

Miracle Mile was termed "Sad Mile" by the gf.
post #33 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeirpont View Post
Miami

What do you like to do in MIA? I love the palm trees look and the beach, but beyond that?

And the tropical gardens are really cute (but semi small).
post #34 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post
What do you like to do in MIA? I love the palm trees look and the beach, but beyond that?

And the tropical gardens are really cute (but semi small).

No I was refering to those cities in which could go from first world to third world very quickly. I do not like Miami at all theres nothing there I find interesting.
post #35 of 91
If I didn't like Seattle so much, I probably wouldn't still be here.
post #36 of 91
I think Key West was very cool and I went when there weren't many tourists. It was a trip to think that it is in America.
post #37 of 91
Given the fact that I have lived in only three of the cities listed and have visited only about 15, it was tough for me to make a choice. I voted for where I live because that's where my home is.

In very slightly different circumstances, I might well prefer a rural or semi-rural lifestyle.
post #38 of 91
I have been to a reasonable chunk of those cities, and still consider NY to be my favorite among them.
post #39 of 91
Hmmmm I have never been past the Mississippi River so I'll have to just go by the ones I've been to. I'd probably say Savannah, GA. What I like: - Historic city with lots of great architecture and real charm - Very business oriented - Very large college crowd so the town is hip and artsy - Great parks - Great restaurants and shops, city is committed to revitilization - Ghetto is slowly being pushed further away so it's not as dangerous as it used to - Second largest St. Patty's day celebration in the country, amazing - All the urban crap like malls is by law forced away from town - Airport is small, easy to access - Proximity to Florida without being in Florida - Tybee Island is a great beach town - Fairly cheap housing costs (away from downtown) - Lot of the city is accessible in walking distance - The moss tree lined roads are awesome Dislikes: - Weather in the summer is just stupidly hot and humid - The "Palmetto Bugs (aka roaches)" are everywhere and are my most hated creature - The town is a bit hard to access downtown due to driving around the parks and the many tourists in horse drawn carriages - If you live out in the islands you understand when I say gnats. - Although the ghetto has been pushed away there are still some rough spots very close to town and walking at night is still dangerous. - Outside of Savannah there isn't much else (Altanta 4hrs, Charleston 2hrs) - While the Ocean is warm at Tybee it is murky due to the silt and not ocean blue like South Florida - Some job markets may be tight there - Possible hurricane zone and evacuation is a nightmare (8hrs in traffic last time) New York I enjoy sometimes but mostly I just find it overwhelming. I usually go to the city to catch a show, go to a club or bar, etc but everytime I leave I feel relieved I live in CT. I enjoy the super late nights there that just aren't found anywhere else in the US, however I find everything overpriced. I don't find walking around NYC in the summer fun as the temperatures skyrocket underneath the buildings. Also what the hell is up with the last train at 1:55? I can tell you my worst city, Hartford, CT. It's sad too, there are some great places and restaurants mixed in there but the city is just a cesspool of crime and poverty. For such a small city it has the murder and crime rate of a metropolis.
post #40 of 91
New York. Most cities just suck in this country. LA is a close second solely because I love taco trucks.
post #41 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
New York. Most cities just suck in this country. LA is a close second solely because I love taco trucks.

I don't know it is fair to say they suck. Most countries only have a couple metropolitan areas. In the US there is at least one per state. If you are from one of the biggest cities then everywhere else is an automatic downgrade unless you are looking for something different.
post #42 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post
Aspen
"I dunno Lloyd...the French are assholes"
post #43 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionology View Post
Hmmmm I have never been past the Mississippi River so I'll have to just go by the ones I've been to.

I'd probably say Savannah, GA.

What I like:
- Historic city with lots of great architecture and real charm
- Very business oriented
- Very large college crowd so the town is hip and artsy
- Great parks
- Great restaurants and shops, city is committed to revitilization
- Ghetto is slowly being pushed further away so it's not as dangerous as it used to
- Second largest St. Patty's day celebration in the country, amazing
- All the urban crap like malls is by law forced away from town
- Airport is small, easy to access
- Proximity to Florida without being in Florida
- Tybee Island is a great beach town
- Fairly cheap housing costs (away from downtown)
- Lot of the city is accessible in walking distance
- The moss tree lined roads are awesome

Dislikes:
- Weather in the summer is just stupidly hot and humid
- The "Palmetto Bugs (aka roaches)" are everywhere and are my most hated creature
- The town is a bit hard to access downtown due to driving around the parks and the many tourists in horse drawn carriages
- If you live out in the islands you understand when I say gnats.
- Although the ghetto has been pushed away there are still some rough spots very close to town and walking at night is still dangerous.
- Outside of Savannah there isn't much else (Altanta 4hrs, Charleston 2hrs)
- While the Ocean is warm at Tybee it is murky due to the silt and not ocean blue like South Florida
- Some job markets may be tight there
- Possible hurricane zone and evacuation is a nightmare (8hrs in traffic last time)



New York I enjoy sometimes but mostly I just find it overwhelming. I usually go to the city to catch a show, go to a club or bar, etc but everytime I leave I feel relieved I live in CT. I enjoy the super late nights there that just aren't found anywhere else in the US, however I find everything overpriced. I don't find walking around NYC in the summer fun as the temperatures skyrocket underneath the buildings. Also what the hell is up with the last train at 1:55?


I can tell you my worst city, Hartford, CT. It's sad too, there are some great places and restaurants mixed in there but the city is just a cesspool of crime and poverty. For such a small city it has the murder and crime rate of a metropolis.

Malls are suburban for the most part I thought.
I'm not sure but you do not seem to like cities much or you like your cities to be as suburban as possible.
post #44 of 91
I love NYC and SF and of course Chicago. I'd normally pick SF over all of them, but in my 3 second decision to pick a winner, I realized I chose to live in Chicago over the others for a reason that wasn't work or family related. Purely a personal choice.. so I picked Chicago.
post #45 of 91
I've lived in two of them and have visited another eight.

I picked NYC. Of course, I only go there as a visitor so it's all holidays for me--none of the real-life issues. But that city has more to do than I can imagine. If I have the money, I'd move there.


b
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › What's your favorite U.S. city?