or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Bentley v Rolls Royce
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bentley v Rolls Royce - Page 2

post #16 of 168
To drive: Bentley
To be driven in: Rolls
post #17 of 168
i think it depends on which bentley and which rolls...both have cars that can be driven or are meant to be driven in. that said, Rolls Royce for me (4 door phantom)
post #18 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Mercedes-Benz 600.
While the MB S600 can definately be expensive, I've never really considered it in the same company as say Bentley or Rolls....this is the reason the modern day Maybach was created.

If given the choice, it would be difficult for me to decide between the Rolls Drophead or the Brooklands.
post #19 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe View Post
While the MB S600 can definately be expensive, I've never really considered it in the same company as say Bentley or Rolls....this is the reason the modern day Maybach was created. If given the choice, it would be difficult for me to decide between the Rolls Drophead or the Brooklands.
Not the modern S600, but the old Grosser 600 model: That car was definitely in the same league as Rolls Royce, if not superior in certain ways. I don't think Bentleys were ever in that same grand tradition; they seem like personal cars.
post #20 of 168
The Tenenbaum family uses a red, late 60s 600 at Royal's funeral. I can't find a picture.
post #21 of 168
My choice would run to either the old 600 or even the old 300. There were some very nice models with removable tops.
post #22 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Not the modern S600, but the old Grosser 600 model: That car was definitely in the same league as Rolls Royce, if not superior in certain ways. I don't think Bentleys were ever in that same grand tradition; they seem like personal cars.
Terrific car!!! I'm a true fan of the classic 600.
post #23 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Of course.

Nah, I'd get this before a MB. (as a driver)

post #24 of 168
^^Sweet!
post #25 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The Tenenbaum family uses a red, late 60s 600 at Royal's funeral. I can't find a picture.

Yes, I remember the 600 at the end. Eli Cash drives that Austin Healey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarthewild View Post
My choice would run to either the old 600 or even the old 300. There were some very nice models with removable tops.



The 300D, the so-called Adenauer, is another very nice limousine type of vehicle.

post #26 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
The 300D, the so-called Adenauer, is another very nice limousine type of vehicle.


I have no idea what year this car is, but it just looks too Nazi Germany for me.
post #27 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I have no idea what year this car is, but it just looks too Nazi Germany for me.

Ironically, it's a postwar car.
post #28 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Ironically, it's a postwar car.

That's not surprising, but it still has that effect on me.
post #29 of 168
RR vs Bentley is altogether too broad. You might as well ask, Russia vs. America? Russia vs. America, you ask? Well, do you mean Czarist Russia vs. Dot-Com era USA? Or perhaps Stalinist Russia vs. 1970s "Me-Generation" USA? Or my personal favorite, Yeltsin-era Russia vs. post-colonial USA.

Narrow your terms.

I choose to narrow mine thusly: a 1929, 4.5 liter "blower" Bentley:

post #30 of 168
Shortly after this car was built RR acquired Bentley, and it was downhill for the next 70+ years. Certainly Bentleys were built afterwards that had a great deal of charm and elan, however they were still RR in their guts. Indeed, I remember scrambling around New England trying to trace down a pair of Bentley logo'd valve covers to replace the RR valve covers that were improperly used in a 1964 S3. A spectacular car, by the way, that would go on to win second best in show at a RR Owner's Club meet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Bentley v Rolls Royce