• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sauerkraut

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Other than sausages, what do you use this with?

2. I have decided to make my own. I have even heard of adding anything from juniper berries(common advice) to things like a bouquet garni, to a little grapefruit juice. For my first batch I was thinking about just doing salt/caraway seeds/and a little yogurt whey. What do you think? What would be worth trying next?

3. Why are traditional fermenting crocks so expensive? It's just ceramic. Maybe I am not looking in the right places. Any resources to share?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You jerk, now I kind of want to go out and get some sauerkraut. I haven't had any in awhile.
confused.gif

Originally Posted by Reggs
1. Other than sausages, what do you use this with?
It's a pretty good addition to just about any german/austrian dish. Not too bad in some types of sandwiches as well.

Making it seems like a pain though.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is this hole in the wall place near my office that has a sauerkraut pizza. no sauce, just kraut and a little cheese.

sounds disgusting but surprisingly very good.

it's destruction of your digestive system is not so good though.

andyw

Reaction score
At the first sign of autumn arriving I make a casserole of smoked pork chops and canadian bacon with sauerkraut. I add some grannie smith apples in at the last moment just to soften up, some caraway seeds and get the beers real cold. Four months to go.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my dad makes this crazy soup with sauerkraut and sausage.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
my russian grandma makes a sauerkraut/barley soup. good stuff.

hi-val

Reaction score
Deep-fried sauerkraut balls?

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Juniper berries for flavour, and smoked pork loin chops (known as Kessler in German). The use of this meat permits one to make the second best gravy in the pantheon of german cooking. Top position of course is resided by rouladen gravy.

Slight thread jack, rouladen:
Take the meat and ensure it is pounded fairly thin, spread a thin layer of good dijon mustard on, sprinkle with salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and lots of good paprika. Dice white onion fairly small, also dicing some good bacon as well (go to a butcher for this, it will make a difference. My butcher (german) has a paprika smoked bacon that is fantastic). The bacon is needed beause the meat is so lean it will dry out without additional fat. Roll up, skewer with toothpick. Sear the rouladen with a little oil, place them in a roaster/dutch oven/whatever and add enough water to cover a little more than half of the rouladen. Add a boullion cube. Roast for about 45 minutes. Remove the rouladen and reduce the sauce until a gravy-like consistency. Serve with spaetzle and braised red cabbage (divine) for the ultimate German meal.

I'm hungry now.

hi-val

Reaction score
OH, for fermenting I have advice. Since you know about how to make it and sterilize, I'm sure, I'll just skip to making a cheap crock:

Get a glass mixing bowl. Taller is better than wider. Take a plastic bag, like a cellophane veggie bag from the store that you put produce in, and fill it up with water. Put the cabbage in the bowl with the salt and spices and then put the bag over top. It's a weight that's form-fitting, so air doesn't mix in. The biggest advice I have is to not peek or else all other kinds of bacteria will get in and ruin it.

And I've heard inconclusive things re: raw garlic and botulism in sauerkraut, so I'd avoid fermenting it like that.

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Juniper berries for flavour, and smoked pork loin chops (known as Kessler in German). The use of this meat permits one to make the second best gravy in the pantheon of german cooking. Top position of course is resided by rouladen gravy.

Slight thread jack, rouladen:
Take the meat and ensure it is pounded fairly thin, spread a thin layer of good dijon mustard on, sprinkle with salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and lots of good paprika. Dice white onion fairly small, also dicing some good bacon as well (go to a butcher for this, it will make a difference. My butcher (german) has a paprika smoked bacon that is fantastic). The bacon is needed beause the meat is so lean it will dry out without additional fat. Roll up, skewer with toothpick. Sear the rouladen with a little oil, place them in a roaster/dutch oven/whatever and add enough water to cover a little more than half of the rouladen. Add a boullion cube. Roast for about 45 minutes. Remove the rouladen and reduce the sauce until a gravy-like consistency. Serve with spaetzle and braised red cabbage (divine) for the ultimate German meal.

I'm hungry now.

........me too, I'm also thinking tweeds and boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads