• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes and the Price of Ga$

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Is the sky high price of gas getting in the way of shopping for gear?

You buying less **** in order to fill up the weekly tank?

Doing less window shopping because it'll cost you $20 in gas just to get to the store?

According to a business report on the radio, gas is supposed to go up another 25 cents by end of the coming weekend. That's gonna make my 91 gas cost just under $5/gal which def makes me rethink just taking a drive to go look at stuff.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see people buying A LOT LESS. Once the greed ruins the oil futuers oil prices will fall to about 50.00 a barrell. Then everything will get correct.
People will shop but not as much.
Instead of a client buying 2 pair of KMW and a shirt he might buy 2 pair of KMW or 1 pair of kMW and a shirt.
It sucks I know trust me. It has happened before and things will be fine in a year or two. I Hope so or the DB might not be around
frown.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gas is expected to hit about $5 a gallon by the end of summer and even expect it to hit around $7-$8+ in a year or two. There's a chance it might hit $10 a gallon as well. It hurts when your vehicle requires premium gas so I know how you feel. Expect it to get worst.

So far though, it hasn't hindered me from purchasing clothes and shoes. It doesn't help that all the sale are going now along with distribution of the recession checks.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely not buying as much as I was a year ago. More so because I'm trying to become more fiscally responsible, have a ton of debt to pay off on top of the business debt I've accrued, and.. yea, prices just being ridiculous.

I do think there's been a trend towards buying less - I can even see it with my Blissful Couture project and that stuff is deeply discounted; we have a friend that owns a high-end fragrance/flower shop and they're being hit hard.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Except for the younger guys, I suspect most of us aren't sensitive to gas price increases.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
another thing is shipping and transit....I can see brands adding more cost to get product to you because of fuel surcharge, which in turn will make the retailer charge a little bit more. It's like a fucked up domino effect

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Except for the younger guys, I suspect most of us aren't sensitive to gas price increases.

you're young? news to me
laugh.gif

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
another thing is shipping and transit....I can see brands adding more cost to get product to you because of fuel surcharge, which in turn will make the retailer charge a little bit more. It's like a fucked up domino effect
Meh, I already pay a premium on things in Seattle. I don't go to blackbird anymore though, but that's just because I despise taking the bus up there.
you're young? news to me
I was referring to the guys still in or fresh out school.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's why now it's called a 'WORLD MARKET" everyone and everythig to a degree is effected.

Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Reaction score
No, because I ride my bicycle to work, and I only use my car to go see friends in my old town. I also buy everything online, I hav noticed higher transit fees, but it isn't such a big deal.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The funny thing is, we don't even have a shortage of oil.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If anything, I would say that the decreasing value of the dollar hurts styleforum members much more than the price of gas.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
If anything, I would say that the decreasing value of the dollar hurts styleforum members much more than the price of gas.

werd. I'm hoping the dollar remains on a 1:2 ratio with the GBP when we go back to London this winter, as sucky as 1:2 is I can kinda live with it.

jodutch

Reaction score
The price of gas might get more people to shop online, the malls customer service/ product knowledge does not get any better too. The bus to the mall with 2 connection might take 1 hour and 45 minutes, and wearing a Brioni tie and Ferragamo shoes might not even get you al;ive out of that bus.

The low dollar makes all european brand names another 20% more expensive (since last year).

So no fun to shop at all. Find some good deals online:
Neckwear: www.tiedeals.com
Women Jeans: www.womendesignerclothes.com

or if you have more time, try ebay..

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Dow closed 400 points down and crude oil went up $11 to close at $139 a barrel which means gas prices are gonna spike this weekend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads