or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Does age matter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does age matter? - Page 2

post #16 of 35
Quote:
Thanks for the responses, i am still gonna look for a glen plaid suit or window pane cause i really like them. As for going shopping with women, usually my girlfriend isn't to bad and i don't mind and well my mom was their to buy the suit. Well i learned my lesson on bringing them along probibly won't happen again at least not for awhile.
They're...Their...There Each of them has a different meaning. It's a pet peeve of mine. Sorry for airing it here... sort of. As for suits, if you like how it looks in the mirror, that's a plus. if the girlfiend doesn't like it, that's a minus. My personal strategy is letting my lady friends "veto" my choice, but I will not let them pick anything out in it's stead. -Tom
post #17 of 35
Recently I have been wearing those mandarin collared kung-fu jackets, and got similar remarks (and a lot of stares from passers-by) about it from my parents, since nobody wears them often now (they were, I think, of the Qing dynasty) and the people only wear them for kung-fu or oriental-themed events. But I was not dissuaded, though. WJTW
post #18 of 35
Tom--Goodness. "It's"?
post #19 of 35
And I hope 'girlfiend' was a typo. WJTW
post #20 of 35
Quote:
When one of my male clients enters my establishment, I go over to greet them and shoot the breeze. When one of my male clients enters my establishment with a  woman who appears to be his wife, or girlfriend, I wait 20 minutes. Then, having allowed time for them to look at fabrics and finish their argument, I go over to greet them and shoot the breeze. When one of my male clients enters my establishment with a woman who appears to be his mother, I wait an hour. Then, having allowed time for them to look at fabrics I go over to greet them and join in the inevitable argument. When one of my male clients enters my establishment with two woman who appear to be his mother and his wife or girlfriend, I go into the bathroom, jump in, and pull the flush lever.
LOL. That's one of the funniest posts I've read in any forum in a long time. I'm very curious though - the source of "friction" between men and the women that accompany them to a clothing establishment - what are most of the arguements about? Is it the style vs. fashion issue primarily or is it something else? I know that when I've tried to discuss some of the excellent posts on this forum with my significant other she just looks at me with a blank stare and then starts talking about going to a local men's store that I already know don't carry the lines recommended here.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
And I hope 'girlfiend' was a typo. WJTW
Nice freudian slip, heh. koji
post #22 of 35
Why, of all people, I would chooe to quote Adam Ant at this juncture is beyond me. But.... "We don't follow fashions/that'd be a joke. You know we're gonna set them/ set them/so everyone can take note..." I learned long ago not to trust my beloved wife with choosing clothing for me. Try as she might, her highly educated mind just doesn't "get" men's clothing. But she freely admits that on our first date she was mightly intrigued by the guy who mixed patterns to such good effect. I was wearing a glen plaid, three-piece suit, herringbone socks, pencil-striped shirt, spotted tie, and patterned pocket square to the best of my recollection. I was 28...... . Oh, did I mention that I'd run out to buy myself a boutonnier before meeting her? Find a good tailor and trust yourself to know what looks good on you. The confidence a fine suit will impart sends signals that will blow the dockers and golf-shirted competition clean out of the running.
post #23 of 35
heron
Quote:
LOL. That's one of the funniest posts I've read in any forum in a long time.
Thank you.
Quote:
I'm very curious though - the source of "friction" between men and the women that accompany them to a clothing establishment - what are most of the arguements about? Is it the style vs. fashion issue primarily or is it something else? I know that when I've tried to discuss some of the excellent posts on this forum with my significant other she just looks at me with a blank stare and then starts talking about going to a local men's store that I already know don't carry the lines recommended here.
He wants white and blue because he sees them as unarguably male - and always correct. She wants yellow and pink because she knows that her 'manly' man can carry it off and look great in those colors. He's not so sure about that. She wants white and blue because she sees them as unarguably male - and always correct. He wants yellow and pink because he knows that he can carry off the 'manly man' and look great in those colors. She's not so sure about that (or at least that's what I assumed when she doubled over, laughing so hard she was crying). I can't really go on (I'm laughing too hard remembering some of this absurdity), but you get the drift. Ask her what colors she would like you to wear. Ask her at dinner, after a few glasses of pinot grigio. Remember what she says. Then give her a credit card and send her to Prada. Go to your shirtmaker and tailor alone - and if you want fewer 'honeydo days' and more 'honey let's do' nights, buy a couple of her favorite colors as well. Whoa. Does this post make me sound like a chauvanist, or what? I take it all back. Send her to Prada. Tell her to use her own damn credit card.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
When one of my male clients enters my establishment, I go over to greet them and shoot the breeze. When one of my male clients enters my establishment with a woman who appears to be his wife, or girlfriend, I wait 20 minutes. Then, having allowed time for them to look at fabrics and finish their argument, I go over to greet them and shoot the breeze. When one of my male clients enters my establishment with a woman who appears to be his mother, I wait an hour. Then, having allowed time for them to look at fabrics I go over to greet them and join in the inevitable argument. When one of my male clients enters my establishment with two woman who appear to be his mother and his wife or girlfriend, I go into the bathroom, jump in, and pull the flush lever.
LOL.
post #25 of 35
Quote:
I was shopping for a suit with my mother and girlfriend yesterday and i was looking for something different from my 4 other suits so i was trying on window pane and glenplaid suits and well almost everyone i tried on they kept commenting on how it made me look like an "old man."  I am only 20 and i look pretty young and had to end up buying the only suit they thought didn't make me look "old" (a HF navy w/light blue pinstripes).  I have sort of felt this way about most non solid sport jackets, i really don't wear any cause they always seem like something my dads generation is wearing to work.  I was wondering if anyone else thinks that you have to be a certain age to pull of certain suit styles?  Cause i really like the window pane suits but now i don't know if i could pull them off. Nik
I notice that you're in the US. Here we have, it would appear, an infatuation with youth (in the most superficial sense -- though also in a profound (and I think disturbing) sense too) in a way that I haven't seen in other cultures. I don't want to launch a discussion of it here, but I would say that if a suit is conservative and timeless, how can you go wrong, regardless of how old it makes you in the eyes of some?
post #26 of 35
For what it's worth: I bought this dress in the fall and brought it home. My husband said there was "something wrong with the collar". I said: "That's the style, it's a fifties look." But I usually trust his judgement, so I returned the dress. Two weeks ago, I did the sales, and there was the dress, half off. I bought it. Again. Merci, mon amour.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
They're...Their...There

Each of them has a different meaning. It's a pet peeve of mine. Sorry for airing it here... sort of.

As for suits, if you like how it looks in the mirror, that's a plus. if the girlfiend doesn't like it, that's a minus. My personal strategy is letting my lady friends "veto" my choice, but I will not let them pick anything out in it's stead.

-Tom

This should be "its," not "it's." I would not have pointed this out on this thread, but since you were right about the homonyms, I thought you would want to know.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkim2 View Post
Tom--Goodness. "It's"?

Good point--didn't see it before my post.
post #29 of 35
Some good examples of "young-looking" window-pane jackets. Doesn't look like there's anything inherently old-mannish about it. I think most would agree that fit is key.




LL
LL
post #30 of 35
Connery's James Bond wore glen plaid, for whatever it might be worth.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Does age matter?