or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fashion trends you don't buy into
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fashion trends you don't buy into - Page 5

post #61 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser3of5 View Post
This thread should be retitled 'things I don't like'.

Like the Holy Grail thread on SZ which is more of "these are things I want to buy"?
post #62 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by entire thread
harrumph harrumph harrumph

The whole thing is like these guys, only less funny:

post #63 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC View Post
Like the Holy Grail thread on SZ which is more of "these are things I want to buy"?
Correct. Although in defense of my contribution to that thread, HL silk jeans are pretty rare animals.
post #64 of 238
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by datasupa View Post
+1. Boat shoes, sandals, flip flops, and brogued shoes are not fucking trends.

I agree with you on the last 3, but I do think boat shoes have come out of nowhere to become hyper-fashionable in the past year or so. Did anyone either here or in magazines mention them a few years ago? I'm guessing not. But now they're ubiquitous. Will Details be touting it in their fall issue two years from now? I doubt it. Hence I think it qualifies as a fashion trend.
post #65 of 238
I don't buy into $100 clip-on bowties.
post #66 of 238
Thread Starter 
Speaking of bootcut jeans, they were pretty much the "standard" jean as long as I can remember, so it's hard for me to even think about them as a trend. They've been around for 10 years, plus you can still find it in stores now.

To me, it's the skinny jean that is the trend. It's not a bad trend, b/c it certainly looks good on some people, but I have a feeling the winds of fashion are going to blow towards regular-sized jeans in the near future. For what it's worth, I think bootcut jeans look better on more people than skinny jeans do.
post #67 of 238
Lanvin boat shoes for the win!!
post #68 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by slycedbred View Post
"timeless clothing". aka the fashion trend of SF

+1
post #69 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by datasupa View Post
+1. Boat shoes, sandals, flip flops, and brogued shoes are not fucking trends.

Wrong. They so are. After the 80's, boat shoes were found only on dudes in Nantucket until the last couple of years. And brogued shoes worn with anything but a suit has come into style in the last 3 years or so as well. Try to find distressed brogues from before, say, 2003. Sandals and flipflops I'll agree with you on.
post #70 of 238
Slim cut pants, skinny ties, flood pants a la Thom, no shirt under your jacket, grotesque patterned and colored leather shoes with big cut off toes.
post #71 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
Wrong. They so are. After the 80's, boat shoes were found only on dudes in Nantucket until the last couple of years. And brogued shoes worn with anything but a suit has come into style in the last 3 years or so as well. Try to find distressed brogues from before, say, 2003. Sandals and flipflops I'll agree with you on.

I have at least ten pairs of brogues of one sort and another, many of which are years old and look "distressed" by which I mean they have a nice patina and cracks. As for boat shoes, I've been wearing them here, there and everywhere including sometimes on a boat, even sometimes a boat in Nantucket, for over 40 years. And so have a lot of people I know.
post #72 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by slycedbred View Post
"timeless clothing". aka the fashion trend of SF

+1
post #73 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
Wrong.... And brogued shoes worn with anything but a suit has come into style in the last 3 years or so as well. Try to find distressed brogues from before, say, 2003. Sandals and flipflops I'll agree with you on.
Wrong. Brogues with non-suit attire has a rich history, from OG Ivy League style (sockless) to skinheads (revival and otherwise).
post #74 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ellis View Post
I have at least ten pairs of brogues of one sort and another, many of which are years old and look "distressed" by which I mean they have a nice patina and cracks. As for boat shoes, I've been wearing them here, there and everywhere including sometimes on a boat, even sometimes a boat in Nantucket, for over 40 years. And so have a lot of people I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife View Post
Wrong. Brogues with non-suit attire has a rich history, from OG Ivy League style (sockless) to skinheads (revival and otherwise).

I should have said "Not found in NYC boutiques, (mainstream) men's magazines, and fashion fora". Does that make you sticklers happier
post #75 of 238
Harumph!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fashion trends you don't buy into