or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fashion trends you don't buy into
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fashion trends you don't buy into - Page 16

post #226 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post
Fashion trends I don't buy into. Fashion trends are fashion trends and we do have a lot of them on Style forum such as double-breasted suits, tweed, 3 piece suits, flannel, peak lapel single breasted suits, wingtips in general and with suits in particular and so on.

Are we takling street fashion ,runways ?
If you talk about classic pieces of garnments , they always will be in and out of fashion ,due to the ever changing nature of fashion itself.

I guess we can consider them trends - I just have never really thought of them in that way, especially classic wardrobe staples such as DB suits, tweeds, three-pieces, wingtips, etc.

I can see how you might view one-button peaks might be a bit of a trend on this forum, but it seems that it's just a carryover from the classic tux, and in that not so much a trend.

I, for one, am relieved that there are other people in the world who enjoy DBs, tweeds, etc., as my collegues currently generally mock my sartorial choices as relics, or dandified.
post #227 of 238
Ridiculously priced branding (Wow, you got a black t shirt with "D & G" stenciled onto it, and you only paid $125?! You're an idiot!), khaki's, echoing the hatred of boat shoes, and skinny jeans.

Back in high school I had a friend who refused to wear anything but those neon-colored hot topic skinny jeans and t-shirts with a v-neck so deep I could see his navel. I'm not kidding, I could probably wrap two hands around the thickest part of his leg. And because he was a male (I won't say man) he had to sag said pants so low that the button on the front probably hit him mid-shaft. It was disgusting.
post #228 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovellum View Post
Back in high school I had a friend who refused to wear anything but those neon-colored hot topic skinny jeans and t-shirts with a v-neck so deep I could see his navel. I'm not kidding, I could probably wrap two hands around the thickest part of his leg. And because he was a male (I won't say man) he had to sag said pants so low that the button on the front probably hit him mid-shaft. It was disgusting.

I believe that he has a new blog called Tweed in the City now.


- B
post #229 of 238
^ Great example of using 'mid-shaft' in a sentence.

Well done.
post #230 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey View Post
Top button unbuttoned with a suit and tie.

I'm with you on this...

I've been stuck doing this out of necessity for a few months now - Had surgery on my neck, and now my shirts won't button. Can't wait to rebuild my collection of shirts so that I can look normal again

post #231 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoody15 View Post
I'm with you on this...

I've been stuck doing this out of necessity for a few months now - Had surgery on my neck, and now my shirts won't button. Can't wait to rebuild my collection of shirts so that I can look normal again


A while ago, I found that some of my favorite, older shirts were getting tighter around the neck, so I started wearing jackets and ties with the top button unbuttoned.

Until, of course, I discovered the joy of collar extenders.

post #232 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
+1

+2
post #233 of 238
More generally, over the last 15 or 20 years, the emulation of the
fashion of the underclass, so called street wear. When I was a youth
the dispossessed often attempted to dress "Ivy". When an item was
appropriated by and interpreted by this group, it became taboo
among the respectable. Example, it the late 50s chinos were
adopted by non- college bound. In a short time black chinos
became popular among the same. Very quickly, nobody taking
the SATs ( University Entrance Exams) would wear black chinos.
post #234 of 238
IMO touting the emulation of the former upper class as superior to emulation of the dispossessed is as equally offensive as the inverse. The former is out of touch at best, snobbish at worst. In fact, both are wrong insofar as considering it dressing 'up' or 'down' is concerned. In a world where clothing is now a form of self expression it's condescending to proscribe what anyone can wear based on whose son they are and how much they earn. BTW I find college kids just about the worst dressed group in the world, with no eye for texture, pattern or color matching. It's in fact the antithesis of the frat boy, the hipster kid, that dresses interestingly.

I enjoy wearing my boat shoes, wearing skinny ties with jeans, blazers over tshirts and rolling my chinos to show ankle. It's all an acquired taste. That I hang out with swedish kids may help. But I still don't get chambray shirts, denim jackets, plaid suits or ribbon belts.
post #235 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereis View Post
IMO touting the emulation of the former upper class as superior to emulation of the dispossessed is as equally offensive as the inverse. The former is out of touch at best, snobbish at worst. In fact, both are wrong insofar as considering it dressing 'up' or 'down' is concerned. In a world where clothing is now a form of self expression it's condescending to proscribe what anyone can wear based on whose son they are and how much they earn. BTW I find college kids just about the worst dressed group in the world, with no eye for texture, pattern or color matching. It's in fact the antithesis of the frat boy, the hipster kid, that dresses interestingly.

I enjoy wearing my boat shoes, wearing skinny ties with jeans, blazers over tshirts and rolling my chinos to show ankle. It's all an acquired taste. That I hang out with swedish kids may help. But I still don't get chambray shirts, denim jackets, plaid suits or ribbon belts.
I disagree, I feel cheated whenever I think that I have chanced upon a fellow Alpha based on his/her dress, then find out to my consternment that alas - an Epsilon lies beneath it all!
post #236 of 238
recently I picked a long back at http://www.sendthetrend.com/
with shoulder to waist level .. can think of it to be looking feminine.
post #237 of 238

Too many - the one I detest the most is the T-Shirt under a Shirt all in job I think though!

post #238 of 238

Too many - the one I detest the most is the T-Shirt under a Shirt all in job I think though!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Fashion trends you don't buy into