or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Skinny ties: how skinny is too skinny?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skinny ties: how skinny is too skinny? - Page 4

post #46 of 56
Am I the only one here who dislikes thin ties? The thinnest I would go would maybe be 3 inches. I mean if I wear a tie I want to look all nice and neat and thin ties for some reason dont look as professional to me.
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookydooky View Post
Am I the only one here who dislikes thin ties?

No - I'm with you. I never wear anything narrower than 3.5"
post #48 of 56
i have a 3.5" tie, thats pretty thin, and it looks good with my black label.
post #49 of 56
Thread Starter 
I'm pretty happy with my new ties that are about 8 cm (~3 inches). They're skinny without looking 'skinny', which is exactly what I wanted.
post #50 of 56
I don't think there is a 'correct' tie width - it should correlate to chest size. Someone with a big bulky chest will look ridiculous in a narrow tie and vice versa.
post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
I don't think there is a 'correct' tie width - it should correlate to chest size. Someone with a big bulky chest will look ridiculous in a narrow tie and vice versa.

obviously, the lapel width and cut/silhouette of a suit plays a role. I hate to see dudes who have bigger chests and normal width lapel suits rock overly skinny ties. It looks ridiculous.
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post
obviously, the lapel width and cut/silhouette of a suit plays a role. I hate to see dudes who have bigger chests and normal width lapel suits rock overly skinny ties. It looks ridiculous.
I hate this look, too. I like the lapel width and tie width to complement each other.
post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial in Seattle View Post

but then again who cares about what is presently fashionable? Classic style will not change.

So said the Romans, but I'm with you brother.
post #54 of 56
I hate to be repetitive, but the essential thing here is matching your body type to your tie. I'm 5'7" on a good day and 140lbs, if I wore anything over 3" I'd look like a clown...I love skinny ties and wore them before they were suddenly trendy again (even though everyone always seems to say that )

That said, a 3" width is always a safe bet, not too clown-ish looking whilst not being too Mod-ish, unless that's what you want
post #55 of 56
Yeah I think the problem is that some of the people who don the skinny dont think about how they are going to do it but just see some dude in the magazine wearing it and just throw one on.
post #56 of 56

As I say - just reverse tie, it look's just like a true skinny tie then!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Skinny ties: how skinny is too skinny?