• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling: Good things...

jamaican

Reaction score
It is said that "good things come to those who wait". After what seemed like an eternity of a seven month wait here they are. May I introduce you, Sir, to the Gaziano Girling Rothschild on the TG73 last in vintage pine, darkened to something approaching an EG "Edwardian colour" on my request in size 11.5 E.

I came onto this forum and have been educated. I must take my stand against the voices insisting that "it must look like Edward Green to be nice": A lot has been said about this and the other more, for want of a better word "aggressive" G&G lasts… not much positive. I must dissent. On the right shoe - and gentlemen it does have to be the right shoe - I have seen this last on some shoes where I think the MH71 soft square would IMHO look superior - where was I? Yes, on the right shoe this TG73 last is great.

Here is the thing; I am a young (32) man. I don't actually want to look like 50 till I get there. There is grace and style in that age no doubt (and I say nothing untoward about that age or older ages), but I want something "edgy" - with the quality that top manufacturers offer, but with more funk. I love EG shoes and lasts. They are excellent. Their range of models is unsurpassed, their quality wonderful. (The guy in the EG Jermyn Street shop told me that the Top Drawer shoes start at £850. Wow! Is that right? I am ready to be wrong as I couldn't believe my ears.) Despite the foregoing, I can really mess with these G&Gs. They offer the more "traditional lasts, but also something that EG does not - a "younger" last. I can do the traditional, dare I say, more subdued, lasts for the right occasion. However, on the right shoe this last is as we say in England, "the dogs boll*cks". That means "very good indeed" for my international readers.

Some say these G&G lasts look too long. I certainly don't want to look like I am wearing clown's shoes. While they are longer than their size equivalents in C&J and EG for sure, they still work for me. Why? I have big feet as I am a tall guy… its all in proportion so works a treat. The only thing I am not quite sure of is the size of the medallion. Grimsdale noted this when he wrote about his G&G Mitchell shoes on the DG70 smart round last... Suppose I will get used to it... anyway too much chat not enough of what we are all here for... some looksies...

ImportedPhotos00474.jpg

ImportedPhotos00476.jpg

ImportedPhotos00478.jpg

ImportedPhotos00475.jpg

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More pictures perhaps? Other angles?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merckx

+1 too few pictures

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What price range are they in? I'd love a pair.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamaican
The only thing I am not quite sure of is the size of the medallion. Grimsdale noted this when he wrote about his G&G Mitchell shoes on the DG70 smart round last... Suppose I will get used to it... anyway too much chat not enough of what we are all here for... some looksies...

IIRC grimslade was talking about the position of the medaillon not the size. Also he is a 13.5, which might make it more "difficult" to get the balance right?

luk-cha, you know it too well, how they look like.
laugh.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
IIRC grimslade was talking about the position of the medaillon not the size. Also he is a 13.5, which might make it more "difficult" to get the balance right?

laugh.gif

no i dont as the are not mine
wink.gif
redface.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these bespoke or MTM?

It seems the medallion is a bit hard to balance at a larger size...

More pictures please!

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jamaican, great choice of last on the Rothchild

I have a single pair of EGs in the form of the Montgomery monk strap (bought recently at the RLPL Beverly Hills store thanks to the assistance of others on this forum) and its on the 888 last

I also have the Warwick on the MH71 and compared the too

As Jamaican noted, the G&G last is a bit longer, but I find the 888 to also be very modern looking. But I guess Tony designed both the 888 and the MH71 which explains why both shoes are very modern looking

Gentleman, is the MH71 the equivalent of the EG888 last or is it more like the TG73?

All this positive talk about EG got me thinking, G&G's prices are more competitive by around $100-150 dollars

An equivalent product for a better price...now thats competition

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to ask

Jamaican, since you got the shoes today, when did you order them in order to give the other faithful an exact time estimate of how long it took to complete your order

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Concorde nose.

Nice post, Jamaican.

jamaican

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merckx

More pics to follow tomorrow... I need to work out how to use an image hoster. Any recommendations of which one to use?

These are MTO shoes.

Delivery time is quoted at 5 months. However, I have received some in 3 1/2 months, these were 7 months, my other order, a Cannes loafer (pics to follow) took 5 months on the dot.

Prices were given on the Gazianogirling.com website but seem to have disappeared for the moment... I think these are now £550 plus £87 for the trees. that price includes 17.5% VAT (sales tax).

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamaican
More pics to follow tomorrow... I need to work out how to use an image hoster. Any recommendations of which one to use?

Photobucket.com

jamaican

Reaction score
Thanks Merckx. I did take loads of shots, but don't have any more capacity to upload attached thumbnails. I also had problems with lighting in the shots... J

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl

laugh.gif

Nice shoes, Jamaican. More pics! I can clarify later what my whinge was about the medallion, but for the record, my G&Gs are the same size as the OPs. 13.5????
eek.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads