• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Bomber Jacket

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you consider the most classic bomber jacket? Black or brown? Textured or smooth leather? What type of leather (e.g. lambskin,etc.)
confused.gif
? Patch or slanted pockets? Shorter or longer? Turndown or European collar? Central zipper or others as well? Elastic fabric in waist area or not? More or less complex design in general?

MichaelE

Reaction score
If by classic you mean original, then the A-2 or G-1 jacket. Avirex, Cooper, US Wings, and other companies that provide for the military make a correct jacket.

I believe Cooper is now out of business or has curtailed production for the foreseeable future.

My issue A-2 is a Cooper.

The original jackets were made of horse hide or cow hide. The new issue A-2 uses goat. Not sure about what the current issue G-1 uses for leather.

SocietyRed

Reaction score
Patch pockets dude, keep it classic. Check out Schott for good stuff. What size are you? I might be in the market so sell a pristine A-2.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look pretty nice, and I imagine expensive. No prices given with descriptions. That says something. Without looking it up I believe I came across a bunch from this company on the Sierra Trading Post Co. site, and they were on the dear side. I hadn't heard of them before but bomber/biking jackets - pretty new area for me as far as researching.
Thank

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
These look pretty nice, and I imagine expensive. No prices given with descriptions. That says something.

Prices are on this page. Not cheap, but I only read good things about them. The real deal.

A little more affordable are these.

Personally I quite like the A-1.

Nicesuit

Reaction score
+1 on Good Wear. I'm getting one of those or a B-6 from Real McCoys next winter. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been trying on 40s (usually pretty good; generally a little "bulky" looking) and Mediums (some too tight around the waist, some fine).
I hope to go today to some of our very best vintage clothing shops. From what you guys have posted it looks like the most classic tend to be in the browns, not blacks. Blacks more bikers, apparently. I'm not set though on just the image I want but am looking forward to checking out these stores and will probably find the one I want. I am interested in yours, though. What size? Photo? Thanks.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After getting to six stores today all with vintage or second-hand clothing I didn't find a jacket to my liking, so I would appreciate the information about the one
SocietyRed might sell. I didn't want to go the long-distance route but it might get to that.

Nicesuit

Reaction score
If you wanted something dark you could go with a seal brown A-2 like the Hart's War jacket here: http://www.c-king.jp/0-2few2.html I'm sure Good Wear or whoever you decided could make you one just like it. There are good reference pics of B-6 and B-3 jackets on there as well if you might be interested in something like that.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm torn between different concepts. Right now I'm thinking brown and bomber of some sort.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but these are far, far more expensive than this is worth to me. I'm "into" a lot of things, but not this to this extent. However, I am now seeing some great looking vintage brown bomber jackets at resale shops at very low prices and in pretty good condition. That may be the way to go. I did bid on one much, much less expensive one on eBay yesterday but lost. I'm afraid I'll go through the whole eBay thing and find I'm not sufficiently satisfied with the condition or the fit may be uncomfortable (as I wrote, some "Mediums" have comfortable waists, some don't) and often the sleeves are too long for my short arms.
What would the size range be for Medium? Is a "42" a Large or a Medium? found three good-looking brown jackets at a Salvation Army yesterday - two L's and one 42. All on the large size but they looked good and could be under consideration.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads