or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pronunciation Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pronunciation Guide - Page 9

post #121 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkim2 View Post
Except for one small, seemingly insignificant detail: English is an, er, Germanic language.

it is only germanic in the manner in which it is structured, but most of the words have a latin origin as what is now England once belonged to the roman empire.
post #122 of 222
How do you pronounce Ann Demeulemeester and Carol Christian Poell?
post #123 of 222
Is it Ralph Laur-EN or Ralph LOR-en ?
post #124 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
Is it Ralph Laur-EN or Ralph LOR-en ?

This one gets me the most. For some reason people in the Midwest have an affinity for Laur-EN.

Sounds stupid to me, like they think its some French name or something. (you can tell I hate that pronunciation, no?)

LOR-en. Fragrance commercials say the same.
post #125 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorMatador View Post
This one gets me the most. For some reason people in the Midwest have an affinity for Laur-EN.

Sounds stupid to me, like they think its some French name or something. (you can tell I hate that pronunciation, no?)

LOR-en. Fragrance commercials say the same.

Like the first-name Lauren for girls. Ralph Lifshitz would not have sold as well.
post #126 of 222
not like sophia loren
post #127 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by trex View Post
it is only germanic in the manner in which it is structured, but most of the words have a latin origin as what is now England once belonged to the roman empire.
Not to be pedantic (but here I go!), but the Germanic speaking peoples who took Britain from the Celts didn't arrive until long after what Romans were there were gone. The fact that a lot of French-speaking Normans conquered England in 1066 and introduced tens of thousands of french words has a lot more to do with the romance influence. Also, I believe almost all of the most common words in the language are germanic in origin.
post #128 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by awxg View Post
How do you pronounce Ann Demeulemeester and Carol Christian Poell?

Anyone?

What about Tag Heuer?
post #129 of 222
hoy-yer
post #130 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorMatador View Post
This one gets me the most. For some reason people in the Midwest have an affinity for Laur-EN.

Sounds stupid to me, like they think its some French name or something. (you can tell I hate that pronunciation, no?)

LOR-en. Fragrance commercials say the same.

Well you're right in that the emphasis is more on the first part of the name, but it's still laur and not lor.
post #131 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by awxg View Post
How do you pronounce Ann Demeulemeester and Carol Christian Poell?

Deh-möh-leh-mayster is how I've heard it
post #132 of 222
How about Lanvin?
post #133 of 222
this is not related to pronunciation, but more off on a tangent:


but it is NORDSTROM

singular.
and not possessive like NORDSTROM'S
post #134 of 222
Does anybody know how to pronounce Vass correctly?
post #135 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post
Does anybody know how to pronounce Vass correctly?

Vahsh (or like wasch in german (waschen without en))
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pronunciation Guide