or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Winston Tailors (Chipp)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Winston Tailors (Chipp)

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Has anyone here had any experience with Paul Winston at Winston tailors? For a NY outfit, they get surprisingly little coverage here on SF. Given their Trad roots, I would have expected more coverage on AAAC's Trad forum, but not much there either.
post #2 of 20
Dope....

I've used them for alterations and was not so pleased. Paul is a nice enough guy, buy on the pushy side. He did have some killer linen braces, too.

That being said, he definitely gets Trad in a way that few of the other NYC bespoke makers do.
post #3 of 20
Speaking of which...interesting blog report from the NY Times.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...certain-taste/
post #4 of 20
there are plenties of posts about Chipp on AAAT.

Tom Rath has commissioned many jackets/suits from Paul...
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by untilted View Post
there are plenties of posts about Chipp on AAAT.

Tom Rath has commissioned many jackets/suits from Paul...

I hadn't much luck finding them (I think I found one thread, which was positive).
post #6 of 20
mmm. just search through all Tom Rath posts containing the word "paul" or "winston" or "chipp". he posted several pictures of various suits and sportcoats paul made him.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
That did the trick. Thank you.
post #8 of 20
Paul has done several alterations for me over the years when I visit NYC for business. I've been very pleased with his work, and have also had a few suits made (including my favorite, a beautiful grey stripe with Jacquard stitching). They have held the test of time.

Speaking of Winston Tailors / Chipp, I saw over on the AAAC boards that Paul has started a blog. It's a pleasure to read the musings of such a craftsman.

http://www.chipp2.com/blog/
post #9 of 20
I've been a Chipp customer from early 80's-bespoke and now MTM. Great work-I still wear some of my early 80's stuff. Never wears out, and classic in style. Go for it!
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmeyer View Post
I've been a Chipp customer from early 80's-bespoke and now MTM. Great work-I still wear some of my early 80's stuff. Never wears out, and classic in style. Go for it!

Too late. I've already gone for it. Had a fitting last week.
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
Too late. I've already gone for it. Had a fitting last week.

MTM or bespoke? Any initial thoughts on your experience with Chipp?
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
MTM or bespoke? Any initial thoughts on your experience with Chipp?

MTM. Initial thoughts are positive as I have liked the experience and like working with Paul Winston. But I don't have the suit, and unless it fits well, nothing else is particularly important. I went in looking to replace the J. Press sportcoats my wife made me get rid of, and Winston Tailors seemed like a good place to start. It is NOT a substitute for high end bespoke as you are not going to find the same level of needlework or tailoring skill, at least not in the MTM product (and he wouldn't even consider selling me the bespoke). I was shopping for something more or less like what they do by default, so it seemed like a good match and so far, we seem on track. I had a fitting on the suit back from the factory. They marked it up and the intent is for it to be ready next time I see them, but who knows.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
MTM. Initial thoughts are positive as I have liked the experience and like working with Paul Winston. But I don't have the suit, and unless it fits well, nothing else is particularly important. I went in looking to replace the J. Press sportcoats my wife made me get rid of, and Winston Tailors seemed like a good place to start. It is NOT a substitute for high end bespoke as you are not going to find the same level of needlework or tailoring skill, at least not in the MTM product (and he wouldn't even consider selling me the bespoke). I was shopping for something more or less like what they do by default, so it seemed like a good match and so far, we seem on track. I had a fitting on the suit back from the factory. They marked it up and the intent is for it to be ready next time I see them, but who knows.

Thanks. I did not expect them to be comparable to Raphael or Dege.

How would you define their default style? Tradish?
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
Thanks. I did not expect them to be comparable to Raphael or Dege.

How would you define their default style? Tradish?

Of course, though my suit will have darts. They do without as well, if that is what you want.
post #15 of 20
Which factory do they use? Greenfield?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Winston Tailors (Chipp)