• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coping with bad purchases

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
I recently ordered a large amount of clothes from Yahoo! Japan and MBOK, and while I am pretty happy with most of it, a few items didn't really work out -- namely some pants on which the inseams are too short.

I was wondering, especially for the members here on tighter budgets, how do you cope with poor purchases on non-returnable items? I'm thinking of flipping them back onto YJ, but after fees and shipping to Japan I doubt it would be worth my time. I may just have to toss them, because having clothes I don't like laying around always feels like a huge burden.

But yeah, I have depression and though I'm on medication for it I still tend to get irrationally upset about things. It's not so much the amount of money wasted. For me, it's the mere fact that something was a waste and I cannot think of a productive use for it.

How do you cope?

Dekayte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I may just have to toss them, because having clothes I don't like laying around always feels like a huge burden.

Originally Posted by mimesis
Give it to someone needy.

Is mimesis' answer not the obvious choice?

hi-val

Reaction score
B&S forum! Turn those threads in to cashola.

Dekayte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
Buy a sewing machine and get inventive.

Until he realizes that he doesn't actually want one and then has a sewing machine sitting around, making him even more angry than when he started.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It always stings when you know that you've paid good money for something that you can't use.

Shopping online is kind of like gambling because if you get lucky you get a really good deal but you can also be disappointed. If you're like me though, for every loss there have been several great deals. Just remind yourself that overall you end up ahead.

Also, when buying something that you're not sure will fit, it's good to take into consideration the resale value of the piece, in case things don't work out.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dekayte
Until he realizes that he doesn't actually want one and then has a sewing machine sitting around, making him even more angry than when he started.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
It always stings when you know that you've paid good money for something that you can't use.

Shopping online is kind of like gambling because if you get lucky you get a really good deal but you can also be disappointed. If you're like me though, for every loss there have been several great deals. Just remind yourself that overall you end up ahead.

Also, when buying something that you're not sure will fit, it's good to take into consideration the resale value of the piece, in case things don't work out.

Out of a $4500 purchase I lost about $250. Not bad actually.
biggrin.gif

I was talking to my friend about it, and she basically said, "Well, shopping online takes practice like a lot of things. You're going to be more careful in the future and now you know the look you want." It made me feel better.

Tuff Ghost

Reaction score
I usually sit in a dark room and cut myself while staring at TV static, but that's just me.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are terrible :p

gmku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
laugh.gif

Out of a $4500 purchase I lost about $250. Not bad actually.
biggrin.gif

I was talking to my friend about it, and she basically said, "Well, shopping online takes practice like a lot of things. You're going to be more careful in the future and now you know the look you want." It made me feel better.

Still no small chunk of change. Recoup it somehow (re-sell) or donate (tax write-off).

God, I feel crappy when I waste 25 bucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads