or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler - Page 120

post #1786 of 1846
Just got in the Beckman's in Chestnut:

20131123_224908_zps6d9aacb3.jpg

Here with my 8146 in Briar Oil Slick:

20131123_225310_zps1686878e.jpg
post #1787 of 1846

Could someone who has Red Wing Beckman/Iron Rangers in size US9/9.5/10 measure their foot using this guide?

My foot is 4.33" wide and 10.4" in length, just wondering what size would be best for me.

 

Edit: Ordered chestnut Beckmans in US9 (EU42, my normal size is 43) and they fit great, not tight in anywhere but not loose either.

 

Thanks :).


Edited by HerrHakala - 12/10/13 at 9:49pm
post #1788 of 1846

Hi there, 

 

I'm new to the forum and to premium leather shoes. I recently bought a pair of RW 9011 in black cherry. I think the fit is good though my ankles really hurt with just having them on. By reading this thread I recognized that this might be normal at the beginning.

I would like the keep the state that the shoes have now and now I'm looking for suitable care products. In addition it would be nice if this products could soften the leather a little bit so that the break in process is not that painful.

 

My problem is that everybody seems to have different tips for the care of his shoes. I've seen BrianMendoza's post in this thread and would like to have that dressier style for the Beckmans. I'm just a little confused because The Hanger Project recommends saphir's greasy leather cream and RW itself recommends its own neutral shoe cream. 

Now what is my best bet to keep that dressy look of the shoes. If it comes down to BrianMendoza's way would it be ok to just order saphir's renovatuer and take care of the welt or would the RW leather conditioner a way better choice for this task?

 

I would really appreciate it if you could point me the right direction. 

post #1789 of 1846

I just got the RW 4557's and I am blown away! By far one of the best Beckmans out there!  My wife saw me with the fed ex guy and knew what was up! Now it seems that I must part with my Black Brogue Rangers... 

post #1790 of 1846
Howdy folks -- just picked up my second pair of GT's, this time in Black. My other pair is the Cigar and they're going beautifully after two years. Dress shoe size is 10.5 and both times the 10 worked like charm. Just wanted to share a fix I made to a small problem with this recent pair. Again, the size was great out of the box. But immediately I felt a small spot of serious irritation on the inside of one boot -- at the point where the tongue folds over at the ankle (if that makes sense).

Anyway, everything else was great, except for this irritating spot. So I figured, fuck it, and grabbed a pair of really sharp scissors. I managed to snip out a bit of leather at the fold of the tongue, with no damage to the rest of the boot. That did the trick; the discomfort was gone instantly.

Haven't heard of this problem anywhere else, but it was an easy fix. If the same thing happened with my first pair, I probably would've returned them. But that's the beauty of age-related cognitive decline, you lose the caution. The GTs are such excellent boots.
post #1791 of 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt44 View Post

Howdy folks -- just picked up my second pair of GT's, this time in Black. My other pair is the Cigar and they're going beautifully after two years. Dress shoe size is 10.5 and both times the 10 worked like charm. Just wanted to share a fix I made to a small problem with this recent pair. Again, the size was great out of the box. But immediately I felt a small spot of serious irritation on the inside of one boot -- at the point where the tongue folds over at the ankle (if that makes sense).

Anyway, everything else was great, except for this irritating spot. So I figured, fuck it, and grabbed a pair of really sharp scissors. I managed to snip out a bit of leather at the fold of the tongue, with no damage to the rest of the boot. That did the trick; the discomfort was gone instantly.

Haven't heard of this problem anywhere else, but it was an easy fix. If the same thing happened with my first pair, I probably would've returned them. But that's the beauty of age-related cognitive decline, you lose the caution. The GTs are such excellent boots.

I also had a pain in the ankle, it disappeared after few days of wear :p

 

Anyways, my Chestnut beckman has this dark circle on it after I rubbed little bit of coconut oil in them, it gets darker if they get wet.

 

 

Any idea what it is? Would something like saddlesoap get rid of it? :p

post #1792 of 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesDeutschmann View Post
 

Hi there, 

 

I'm new to the forum and to premium leather shoes. I recently bought a pair of RW 9011 in black cherry. I think the fit is good though my ankles really hurt with just having them on. By reading this thread I recognized that this might be normal at the beginning.

I would like the keep the state that the shoes have now and now I'm looking for suitable care products. In addition it would be nice if this products could soften the leather a little bit so that the break in process is not that painful.

 

My problem is that everybody seems to have different tips for the care of his shoes. I've seen BrianMendoza's post in this thread and would like to have that dressier style for the Beckmans. I'm just a little confused because The Hanger Project recommends saphir's greasy leather cream and RW itself recommends its own neutral shoe cream. 

Now what is my best bet to keep that dressy look of the shoes. If it comes down to BrianMendoza's way would it be ok to just order saphir's renovatuer and take care of the welt or would the RW leather conditioner a way better choice for this task?

 

I would really appreciate it if you could point me the right direction. 

 

I strongly recommend applying a light coat of Obenauf's LP during the break-in period.  This will soften the leather, and will make the break-in period much more comfortable.

post #1793 of 1846
Got a pair of 9030's last year, still super stiff and uncomfortable. Any way to break them in quicker? I'm losing hope
post #1794 of 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus View Post

Got a pair of 9030's last year, still super stiff and uncomfortable. Any way to break them in quicker? I'm losing hope

Two things that have worked for me (1) soak the whole boot in water, cold water not hot.. it will take the finish off of them. After they are soaked inside and out wear them till dry then condition them.
(2) soak the inside only with hot water for 5 to 10 min, then empty water and wear till dry. You can do both methods bare foot, or with as thick of a sock as you can handle. Be warned wear shitty sock as some off the color will come off. I have done this to every new pair of red wings and after one or two times, the boots in my case can be worn with no discomfort.
post #1795 of 1846
When breaking them in, don't baby them. I broke mine in by wearing thick socks (to protect against abrasion) and then just pretty much beat the crap out of them. Took less than 5 wears.
post #1796 of 1846

Anybody have photos of the Copper Yuma 2963's after some wear and/or treatment? They are a Beckman with the Iron Ranger cork sole.

post #1797 of 1846

Cross Post from the other RW thread.

 

Update on my black cherry Beckman's. I was ankle deep in mud yesterday so they needed a thorough cleaning. The beauty of products like HDLP is that they make clean up a relatively simple task. I wiped them down with a damp/wet rag. It took a while to get the mud out of all the crevices and I spent a bit more time getting the caked & dried mud out of the welt. I normally use a stiffer horsehair brush on the welt but because of the mud, I fold over the microfiber cleaning cloth and use the wet corner of the cloth to sponge out the welt area. Lastly, followed it up with a good brushing. Obenauf's high wax content even leaves them with a bit of a sheen, especially in the sun. They almost look polished! Wish I took a before pic.

 

 

 

post #1798 of 1846
Finally got a pair of GT in chestnut and am loving them. Originally bought them for another pair of work boots since my Iron Rangers have no grip in this Chicago weather, but they are too nice. Haha once they get broken in I will start wearing them for work.

034D3B83-813B-45D5-AA3E-EC41A9432A6D_zpsqig61tht.jpg


9351B930-EF9D-4302-BE6B-2BCCC8F2D0A3_zpsr78tikzd.jpg

19C394BB-5616-4959-9747-6FE087F40950_zpstblyzfeo.jpg
post #1799 of 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorysends View Post

Finally got a pair of GT in chestnut and am loving them. Originally bought them for another pair of work boots since my Iron Rangers have no grip in this Chicago weather, but they are too nice. Haha once they get broken in I will start wearing them for work.

034D3B83-813B-45D5-AA3E-EC41A9432A6D_zpsqig61tht.jpg


9351B930-EF9D-4302-BE6B-2BCCC8F2D0A3_zpsr78tikzd.jpg

19C394BB-5616-4959-9747-6FE087F40950_zpstblyzfeo.jpg

Where do you work if you don't mind me asking?
post #1800 of 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunky View Post

Where do you work if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all. I run my fathers plumbing business. So the boots are exposed to all sorts of weather and a lot of it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler