or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler - Page 111

post #1651 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyhungry View Post

Contemplate changing the color of the sole edge of my black cherry Beckman to a darker color with some shoe polish.
Should I go for:
i) black?
ii) dark brown?
iii) leave it alone?

Dark brown. Or maybe just wear them in a bit of mud and dirt for a while
post #1652 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by milw50717 View Post


In my experience, the Beckman's are pretty easy to look after. I find they polish up to a reasonable shine pretty easily, having used both Redwing's and Saphir's creme polish on my boots at various times.

Same thing here, except I've only used Saphir Renovator so far. Mine are only a couple months old.

post #1653 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyhungry View Post

Contemplate changing the color of the sole edge of my black cherry Beckman to a darker color with some shoe polish.
Should I go for:
i) black?
ii) dark brown?
iii) leave it alone?
 

I darkened mine by applying Obenaufs to the edge of the sole, and that worked wonderfully.

 

That said, I'm thinking of trying to blacken the sole edges of my black IRs, and I've been trying to decide the best route to do it.  I think edge dressing could work great for the edges, but not the tops of the edges (I'd get edge dressing all over the leather)...so I think my best bet is to just use black polish and then some obenaufs.


Edited by cathpah - 10/23/12 at 11:25pm
post #1654 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathpah View Post

I darkened mine by applying Obenaufs to the edge of the sole, and that worked wonderfully.

That said, I'm thinking of trying to blacken the sole edges of my black IRs, and I've been trying to decide the best route to do it.  I think edge dressing could work great for the edges, but not the tops of the edges (I'd get edge dressing all over the leather)...so I think my best bet is to just use black polish and then some obenaufs.

I have experimented a little bit with dark brown shoe cream and it had little effect in darkening them. I might try black.
post #1655 of 1851

Good ol' boots.

post #1656 of 1851

^beautiful

post #1657 of 1851

i have to say i over think a lot of things, they feel good, nice and snug, but when the leather stretches i am afraid they will be to big, crazy i know but that is just the way i think, not only drives my wife nuts, i an starting to get on my own nerves.

post #1658 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post

i have to say i over think a lot of things, they feel good, nice and snug, but when the leather stretches i am afraid they will be to big, crazy i know but that is just the way i think, not only drives my wife nuts, i an starting to get on my own nerves.

im the same way lol
post #1659 of 1851

I want to wear my GTs more, but I have to wait about two days between wears for the leather to dry out.  Even when it isn't raining, my feet sweat enough to get the sole a bit damp and cold to the touch.  

 

How do you guys wear them every day?  Do you have a trick for keeping them dry?  Do you wear them anyway? 

post #1660 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruityoaty View Post

I want to wear my GTs more, but I have to wait about two days between wears for the leather to dry out.  Even when it isn't raining, my feet sweat enough to get the sole a bit damp and cold to the touch.  

 

How do you guys wear them every day?  Do you have a trick for keeping them dry?  Do you wear them anyway? 

 

I alternate my boots just as I alternate my shoes. Since I have 2 pairs of GTs and a few other pairs of boots this isn't an issue for me.
post #1661 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruityoaty View Post

I want to wear my GTs more, but I have to wait about two days between wears for the leather to dry out.  Even when it isn't raining, my feet sweat enough to get the sole a bit damp and cold to the touch.  

 

How do you guys wear them every day?  Do you have a trick for keeping them dry?  Do you wear them anyway? 

if you sweat that much your under to much stress lol,  i have never run into that problem, but i do switch my boots from day to day. have you ever tried insoles? super feet insoles are great.

post #1662 of 1851
I wear my GTs exclusively as wet weather boots, been doing that since 09.. naturally that means I wear them days in a row if I need to. I don't know about sweat but rain has never made them so damp I've had problems.
post #1663 of 1851
I've been dealing with an irritating problem since I got my Beckham chukkas and wondered if anyone had any advice on how to solve it.

The front soles (the black tread part) are wearing down very quickly on my boots and getting very close to the brown leather sole. I see some of the GTs on here don't have any wearing on the front as far as I can see. It's going to be a little upsetting if I have to get them resoled in the next couple of months - and I've only been wearing them infrequently for two months.

You'd think I somehow have been managing to drag my toes on concrete surfaces to achieve this but I can't fathom how. I'm particularly conscious when walking around outside not to do so, not to mention I never experienced such rapid deterioration in any shoes/boots I owned before as I do with these.

Any tips are appreciated!
Thank you.

35kv61i.jpg
post #1664 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbourne View Post

I've been dealing with an irritating problem since I got my Beckham chukkas and wondered if anyone had any advice on how to solve it.
The front soles (the black tread part) are wearing down very quickly on my boots and getting very close to the brown leather sole. I see some of the GTs on here don't have any wearing on the front as far as I can see. It's going to be a little upsetting if I have to get them resoled in the next couple of months - and I've only been wearing them infrequently for two months.
You'd think I somehow have been managing to drag my toes on concrete surfaces to achieve this but I can't fathom how. I'm particularly conscious when walking around outside not to do so, not to mention I never experienced such rapid deterioration in any shoes/boots I owned before as I do with these.
Any tips are appreciated!
Thank you.
35kv61i.jpg

If it was flat leather sole a tap would work, but the commando sole makes that tricky.
post #1665 of 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruityoaty View Post

I want to wear my GTs more, but I have to wait about two days between wears for the leather to dry out.  Even when it isn't raining, my feet sweat enough to get the sole a bit damp and cold to the touch.  

How do you guys wear them every day?  Do you have a trick for keeping them dry?  Do you wear them anyway? 

Alternating boots is generally a good idea to give the leather a chance to dry and recover. If that is not an option then maybe dry upside down on a pole or stand and ensure that they have adequate airflow to help the drying process.

You can always go nuclear with http://www.peetshoedryer.com/


IMG_0475.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler