or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler - Page 98

post #1456 of 1863
Just got a pair of the new 9042 Oxford's. Here are the photos after 2 days of wearing:

232
232
post #1457 of 1863
I have a question for those who own the Round toe and Moc toe Red wing boots.

I normally wear a size 9 in a round toe, which are tight but after they stretch and break in they fit perfectly.
Now I'm ready the get a Moc toe so I went to store and the salesman told me that the Moc toes don't stretch that much compared to the Round toe so he recomended me to go a half size up.
Is that true?

Are Moc toes harder to break in?
Do they stretch at all?
post #1458 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryvac View Post

I have a question for those who own the Round toe and Moc toe Red wing boots.
I normally wear a size 9 in a round toe, which are tight but after they stretch and break in they fit perfectly.
Now I'm ready the get a Moc toe so I went to store and the salesman told me that the Moc toes don't stretch that much compared to the Round toe so he recomended me to go a half size up.
Is that true?
Are Moc toes harder to break in?
Do they stretch at all?

 

I've always sized the same for both my round and moc to Red Wings. But, I know a lot of people will go true to size on mocs and half size down on rounds. What models are you comparing?

post #1459 of 1863
^ it's the 1907 Moc toe that I want, and I'm comparing it with pretty much all the round toe red wings. (9111, IR & chukka)

So if you wear the same size for both Moc & Round, does that mean the Moc toes stretched out ?
post #1460 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryvac View Post

^ it's the 1907 Moc toe that I want, and I'm comparing it with pretty much all the round toe red wings. (9111, IR & chukka)
So if you wear the same size for both Moc & Round, does that mean the Moc toes stretched out ?

 

Yeah definitely. I own the 1907 and 875's, and a pair of Beckman 9014's. I have them all in the same size. The 1907's definitely hurt like a bitch a first... but after a week or so they became perfectly snug, as if they were sized specifically to my feet. Also, if they're too uncomfortable when you first get them, try taking the insole out for a couple wears, and then work them in. I just sucked it up and did full insole the whole way through, and even though I had some painful days, it was worth it.

post #1461 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMendoza View Post


Yeah definitely. I own the 1907 and 875's, and a pair of Beckman 9014's. I have them all in the same size. The 1907's definitely hurt like a bitch a first... but after a week or so they became perfectly snug, as if they were sized specifically to my feet. Also, if they're too uncomfortable when you first get them, try taking the insole out for a couple wears, and then work them in. I just sucked it up and did full insole the whole way through, and even though I had some painful days, it was worth it.

haha, thanks for telling your personal story.
Great to know, I will go with the same size then.
Thanks a bunch
post #1462 of 1863

Is mink or boot oil better for the RW GTs?

post #1463 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post

Is mink or boot oil better for the RW GTs?

 

I would use cream or conditioner. The mink oil is going to make the finish a little too matte, and boot oil will be too messy to use. If you're going to use Red Wing products, I'd say go with their leather conditioner, its a beeswax product, so it will add a good amount of water repellency and will leave a nice luster.

 

Some might recommend their leather dressing, which is very similar to both Montana Pitch Blend, and Obenauf's LP, but the reason I steer clear from those is because it leaves an oily/sticky feeling left of the boots. And if you use either of those products enough times, you'll never get that nice luster out of the leather again. You'll be forced to settle with a matte/dull finish.

 

So if I were to advise you, I'd recommend Red Wing's Leather conditioner, and if you want to take it a step further, use Venitian shoe cream or Saphir Renovateur. Venitian shoe cream is about $8, or $16 for a lifetime's supply, and is second to none.


Edited by BrianMendoza - 4/27/12 at 10:31pm
post #1464 of 1863

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMendoza View Post

 

I would use cream or conditioner. The mink oil is going to make the finish a little too matte, and boot oil will be too messy to use. If you're going to use Red Wing products, I'd say go with their leather conditioner, its a beeswax product, so it will add a good amount of water repellency and will leave a nice luster.

 

Some might recommend their leather dressing, which is very similar to both Montana Pitch Blend, and Obenauf's LP, but the reason I steer clear from those is because it leaves an oily/sticky feeling left of the boots. And if you use either of those products enough times, you'll never get that nice luster out of the leather again. You'll be forced to settle with a matte/dull finish.

 

So if I were to advise you, I'd recommend Red Wing's Leather conditioner, and if you want to take it a step further, use Venitian shoe cream or Saphir Renovateur. Venitian shoe cream is about $8, or $16 for a lifetime's supply, and is second to none.

 

Thanks for the detailed answers Brian. Appreciate it and will take your advice. I've worn my RWs for 6 month, never applied anything, and the leather sole (looks like the wooden part) is starting to split...

post #1465 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post

 

 

Thanks for the detailed answers Brian. Appreciate it and will take your advice. I've worn my RWs for 6 month, never applied anything, and the leather sole (looks like the wooden part) is starting to split...

 

No prob. And yeah, I remember reading that a couple posts back. If you're seeing the leather start to split, I might try something that will penetrate the leather a bit more like Lexol. I didn't know how easy it was to find it now a days. A lot of auto stores have it. I've seen it at both pep boys, and auto zone, and a lot of leather goods stores will have it too. I was just at boot world the other day and saw it. I'd use that on the soles to really moisten them up, and stick to the RW conditioner/venitian/saphir for the upper, unless the leather is really dry on the uppers also.

post #1466 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post

Just got a pair of the new 9042 Oxford's. Here are the photos after 2 days of wearing:
232
232

Must ... resist ... urge .. to buy ....

They surely do look fantastic.
post #1467 of 1863
Toe looks much sleeker than the Beckman boot (thankfully).
post #1468 of 1863

Can water and a cloth be used to clean the soles or do you need to use saddle soap?

post #1469 of 1863
I would just use water & cloth.
Saddle soap tends to dry leather out IMHO.
post #1470 of 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post

Just got a pair of the new 9042 Oxford's. Here are the photos after 2 days of wearing:
232
232

Woah, no need to resist, I am getting those (in black ). Where can I buy them?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler