• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superba Tie Co.?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a great tie at Marshall's today, untagged (both price and brand). It is self-tipped, with self-keeper, 40% cotton/ 60% wool blend, and says "Made in USA." The label had a WPL #, and searching it yielded the "Superba Tie Company" based out of LA. I ran a google search, but found basically nothing about this company. Does anyone have further information? The tie is quite nice- it rather resembles my Breur ties in its heft and hand, and I even mistook it for a Tablott BOC at first. It was only $10, so this could be a good brand to look out for.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post a pic.

ExHack

Reaction score
Superba is a very big (in terms of volume) tiemaker - look up their website. They make handmade "better" to premium labels like Ike Behar, Ted Baker, and Ferrell Reed, as well as machine-made ties for more common labels and retailer house brands. In my experience, their downmarket stuff isn't bad and compares to their top-shelf stuff. For example, Target's Merona house label used to be made by Superba, and the fabrics and patterns were clearly influenced by Ted Baker.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Post a pic.

Yes, sir.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/...98961c.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2155/...3d1184.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2105/...5cbc9e.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/...0bf46e.jpg?v=0

That's interesting- there were a few other Baker and Behars there, though this certainly is not a Baker. I suppose it could be a Behar, but I wasn't sure if they were self-tipped; they may very well have been. The color of the ground is a navy blue, despite the photographs that seem to darken it.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your find! I have heard of the company before, but I don't know anything about them. From the looks of your pics, the tie seems well made. I am not to crazy about the design though. Its probably just because I don't like black ties.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
Congrats on your find! I have heard of the company before, but I don't know anything about them. From the looks of your pics, the tie seems well made. I am not to crazy about the design though. Its probably just because I don't like black ties.

Yes, the only thing that seems inferior to my other ties is the slip-stitch, which is RL-esque thin. The ground is actually navy, despite the pictures that seem to darken it. However, it's no seven-fold...
musicboohoo[1].gif

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Yes, the only thing that seems inferior to my other ties is the slip-stitch, which is RL-esque thin. The ground is actually navy, despite the pictures that seem to darken it. However, it's no seven-fold...
musicboohoo[1].gif

It's nice for $10!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

ExHack

Reaction score
I found a great tie at Marshall's today, untagged (both price and brand). It is self-tipped, with self-keeper, 40% cotton/ 60% wool blend, and says "Made in USA." The label had a WPL #, and searching it yielded the "Superba Tie Company" based out of LA. I ran a google search, but found basically nothing about this company. Does anyone have further information? The tie is quite nice- it rather resembles my Breur ties in its heft and hand, and I even mistook it for a Tablott BOC at first. It was only $10, so this could be a good brand to look out for.

Funny ... I reread your post and keyed in on the fabric makeup. I just sold a Behar in a similar colorway (but with a heavy satin treatment instead of ribbed) that had a 60% silk/40% cotton content. And yes, newer Behars are self-tipping. I'd guess this was a Behar, or maybe made for a "better" house label they make for.

TieLover

Reaction score
Superba was sold to Philips Van Huesen in 2007. Since then all of the machine made ties are manufactured in China, whereas they had been made in their manufacturing facility in Los Angeles prior to that. PVH has also bought Mulberry, so about 90% of the mass market ties are owned by them. They produce the ties that are shipped to TJ Maxx, Ross, Wal Mart, Target, Kohl's, etc. These are first quality ties, not outdated product. So if you see a $65 tie at one of the large dept. stores, check for it at the discounters - same tie, same season, at a great price. I have found Behar ties in these outlets for less than $20.

travb

Reaction score
TieLover thanks for advice, I will post anymore information I find. I also am looking for a Superba "Peter Thomas" tie, to replace my ragged tie pictured here:
4584945927_ec436a4ae5_m.jpg
It is 100% imported silk, WPL# 2831, made in the USA. The tie says this company was started in 1873, shame it was sold out and imported to China!

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TieLover
They produce the ties that are shipped to TJ Maxx, Ross, Wal Mart, Target, Kohl's, etc. These are first quality ties, not outdated product. So if you see a $65 tie at one of the large dept. stores, check for it at the discounters - same tie, same season, at a great price. I have found Behar ties in these outlets for less than $20.

I've had great success shopping for ties at TJ Maxx (and to a lesser extent Kohl's).

Most of the stuff is between $9-$12; and although it can be "hit or miss", I'm always finding steals. You really can't go wrong at that price point.

Barrett Craig

Reaction score
wow! my all time favorite tie is a Peter Thomas SUPERBA tie #2831!!! it is green and every time I've worn it in the past 10? 15? years I get numerous compliments!! I have found a lot of them on Ebay, but none the color I want to replace. good taste, and good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads