• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swimming

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Anybody here a regular swimmer? What do you do, and how often?

I've been going to a pool with a "coach" (really just a guy who writes a workout on a dry erase board and then sits on a bench and plays with his iPhone). I always do what he writes out, but at the end of this week, his services are not going to be available.

Averaging about 2,500 yards per day, three days a week. I want to keep it up but without "coach" I fear I will feel lost and abandoned.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Anybody here a regular swimmer? What do you do, and how often?

I've been going to a pool with a "coach" (really just a guy who writes a workout on a dry erase board and then sits on a bench and plays with his iPhone). I always do what he writes out, but at the end of this week, his services are not going to be available.

Averaging about 2,500 yards per day, three days a week. I want to keep it up but without "coach" I fear I will feel lost and abandoned.

he doens't comment on your style or give you advice? all he does is tell you what to do?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
he doens't comment on your style or give you advice? all he does is tell you what to do?

He will, but I have to bug him. Frankly, I don't care about my stroke that much. I am not going be competing or anything, nor do I really care about my times (in fact I don't time myself at all). I am just doing this for the exercise.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he doesn't give you any coaching then why don't you just do what you've been doing? 2,500 yards is quite a bit for swimming.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
If he doesn't give you any coaching then why don't you just do what you've been doing? 2,500 yards is quite a bit for swimming.

Well, the one thing I like is that he changes the workout every day. Makes it somehow less boring. I have no imagination, so I fear what will happen is, whatever he gives me Friday, I will do that by rote until I get so bored I quit.

SUPER K

Reaction score
I had a state ranked high school swim team kid once as a coach. Like yours, he would comment and critique if asked, but not volunteer. Guess the age difference can be intimidating.

Our gym has group swim classes with several coaches for each class. 2-3 people per lane based on ability. Fear of being run over can be a good motivator.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SUPER K
I had a state ranked high school swim team kid once as a coach. Like yours, he would comment and critique if asked, but not volunteer.

Same deal, he just got out of college, where he was on the swim team. He told me they did two practices a day, 4,500 yards each. I almost fainted.

To give the guy credit, he improved my backstroke a lot, and my freestyle somewhat. Breast, I don't even try any more. Fly, I don't think I have ever tried.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't help you on that, because I really like doing the same thing every time. but I can offer a suggestion from something else - I use an old brain gym book, that has a variety of different mental excersizes. I photocopied the excersizes, put them on individual slips of paper, and then randmize them in the old fashion way, by pulling them out of a bowl.

you could do the same type of thing - make your workouts 2 weeks at a time, randomizing the differnt types of excersizes.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swim 1 km, it got easy so i started wearing these paddle thingies on my hands to get a better workout out of it, since i didnt want to swim for more than half an hour anyway.

But that go easy too so i may have to start increasing the time and distance.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suck so hard at swimming. In breast stroke my ex kicked ****** and I was actually trying my hardest, and she wasn't even a swimmer. *sigh* It's good exercise though I don't really like the chlorine on my skin.

What I do, just like my running, is alternate days between distance swims and interval sprints.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Used to swim quite a bit in the winter. 3 times per week, each time about 1.5-2.5km or so. Mostly breaststroke, as I've never cared much for form. I'm guessing a professional swim coach would despair at seeing how I swim. But it's ok.

Should get back to it, mostly just been running lately.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Well, the one thing I like is that he changes the workout every day. Makes it somehow less boring. I have no imagination, so I fear what will happen is, whatever he gives me Friday, I will do that by rote until I get so bored I quit.

That would explain your book.
devil.gif

I kid, I kid...I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jon.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Four or five laps around my hot tub and I'm pretty much done in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads