• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hummer H3

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i'm a little up in the air in regards to my next car purchase. I currently have an 07 Z4 BMW convertible and a 99 jeep cherokee sport that was gifted to me some years ago that I use for bad weather in liu of the BMW. I'm getting married in a year and recently purchased a small starter home in Philly that has only one garage. My fiancee recently purchased an 08 Altima and I obviously want to let her park in the garage and not have to find street parking late at night. The BMW is expensive and it would be a shame to park a pristine soft top car outside so I'm trading it in for something new.

I was intrigued by the H3's I've seen on the road so I stopped in at the local dealer yesterday to crunch some numbers and take a test drive. Overall the car is pretty nice. Its a very substantial machine and the driving position is like sitting in a big rig. Its the polar opposite of a z4 but I could definately see myself driving one at least for the next 3 yrs. My only concern is the underpowered engine and poor fuel economy but it is somewhat balanced by the exrtemely cheap monthly payment.

Just wondering what the concensus is on the H3. Anybody own one or have any experience behind the wheel of a hummer. I've read reports of others agreeing the car is underpowered but I'm biased after driving the z4 for a year which is pretty quick in its own rite. Still, even my 99 jeep can outrun this thing.

dl

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H3 is obsolete. You might as well have asked us whether to buy a pair of shoes with a block toe.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
So i'm a little up in the air in regards to my next car purchase. I currently have an 07 Z4 BMW convertible and a 99 jeep cherokee sport that was gifted to me some years ago that I use for bad weather in liu of the BMW. I'm getting married in a year and recently purchased a small starter home in Philly that has only one garage. My fiancee recently purchased an 08 Altima and I obviously want to let her park in the garage and not have to find street parking late at night. The BMW is expensive and it would be a shame to park a pristine soft top car outside so I'm trading it in for something new.

I was intrigued by the H3's I've seen on the road so I stopped in at the local dealer yesterday to crunch some numbers and take a test drive. Overall the car is pretty nice. Its a very substantial machine and the driving position is like sitting in a big rig. Its the polar opposite of a z4 but I could definately see myself driving one at least for the next 3 yrs. My only c this instead
redface.gif
ncern is the underpowered engine and poor fuel economy but it is somewhat balanced by the exrtemely cheap monthly payment.

Just wondering what the concensus is on the H3. Anybody own one or have any experience behind the wheel of a hummer. I've read reports of others agreeing the car is underpowered but I'm biased after driving the z4 for a year which is pretty quick in its own rite. Still, even my 99 jeep can outrun this thing.
Hummers leave an enormous carbon footprint. How about this instead:

http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/dispatch.do

Blow the doors off that silly BMW. Tell your wife to park her POS in the driveway.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
H3 is obsolete. You might as well have asked us whether to buy a pair of shoes with a block toe.

Care to explain why the h3 is obsolete?

dl

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Hummers leave an enormous carbon footprint. How about this instead:

http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/dispatch.do

Blow the doors off that silly BMW. Tell your wife to park her POS in the driveway.

Kind of interesting how you are so concerned with taking a green approach with the car yet recommend I tell my fiancee to park her "pos" car outside, but whatever.

My taste in cars is, i guess, somewhat eclectic. I like the H3 partly because you dont see to many of them around. Same with the Z4. Of course they are not exotic in anyway but perhaps more so than an accord or a grand cherokee.

In regards to the "carbon footprint" I really could care less. Fuel prices are of course a concern but I don't do to much driving.

Any other comments from anyone who has been behind the wheel of these things?

dl

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I will be up front and tell you I have not driven an H3. I think the entire Hummer line up just carries to much baggage in terms of doucheness and as a GM product, I would not want to deal with the service department or its reliability.

Why not check out a Toyota FJ?

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I will be up front and tell you I have not driven an H3. I think the entire Hummer line up just carries to much baggage in terms of doucheness and as a GM product, I would not want to deal with the service department or its reliability.

Why not check out a Toyota FJ?

Well, I think the H1 and H2 is a bit douchey but its a stretch to categorize every Hummer owner as a douche I suppose. However, I can see what you are saying. I think its safe to say any owner of a yellow hummer is a douche. I originally thought they looked like mini monster trucks when they first came out but they have certainly grown on me. Despite being pretty slow they are really fun to drive.

I'll admit I'm not very familiar with GM cars. Are they known for having reliability issues? What have you heard about their service departments?

dl

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Well, I think the H1 and H2 is a bit douchey but its a stretch to categorize every Hummer owner as a douche I suppose. However, I can see what you are saying. I think its safe to say any owner of a yellow hummer is a douche. I originally thought they looked like mini monster trucks when they first came out but they have certainly grown on me. Despite being pretty slow they are really fun to drive.

I'll admit I'm not very familiar with GM cars. Are they known for having reliability issues? What have you heard about their service departments?

dl

For the most part, their service department tends to be below par....but reliability is somewhat better than the majority of Europeans, but steps below some of the Japanese makers.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't see the appeal of a small s.u.v. aren't they for lesbians?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding the OP's logic. Why get another gas-guzzling SUV when you already have one?

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i don't see the appeal of a small s.u.v. aren't they for lesbians?
The H3 is smaller than the H2 but its still very big. It dwarfs my Jeep Cherokee.
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I'm having a hard time understanding the OP's logic. Why get another gas-guzzling SUV when you already have one?
The SUV I have now is a 99 with 100k miles on it. I drive the Z4 90% of the time and the jeep has deteriorated a bit after being left outside for a few years and driven so sparingly. Trade in value is 2500 so i'm just going to put it down on the H3 if I get one. I should have added that I'm looking to consolidate into 1 car in my original post. dl

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Have you looked at gas prices recently? Why would you even consider a Hummer at this point?

Also, I have a friend who used to have a H2 but traded it in for a BMW 5-series. He said he got tired of the fact that it didn't have any pick-up and it took forever to get up to speed. I would imagine that the H3 is even worse.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if it's just you and your fiancee, no kids, and you've been using a z4 all this time, you have no need for an s.u.v. what is the appeal?

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Have you looked at gas prices recently? Why would you even consider a Hummer at this point?

Also, I have a friend who used to have a H2 but traded it in for a BMW 5-series. He said he got tired of the fact that it didn't have any pick-up and it took forever to get up to speed. I would imagine that the H3 is even worse.

Yep, those are all pretty much the same issues I have with it. In terms of gas prices, I live 500ft from school and 4 miles from work so I don't use alot of gas. The car feels underpowered when driving it but not so much so that it is unsafe.

I'm not a fan of the 5 series. If I were to get another performance car id get the Z4 coupe but in the northeast its unrealistic for it to be my only car as with the rear wheel drive the rear end can get away from you in the rain and is essentially inoperable in the snow. It would also kill me to park a new BMW outside on the street.

dl

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
if it's just you and your fiancee, no kids, and you've been using a z4 all this time, you have no need for an s.u.v. what is the appeal?

Well, we both want to do some remodeling in our new home which we will do ourselves over the next several years. I'm not exactly going to haul sheets of drywall in the Z4 or her ultima so I figured id switch back to an SUV for the next few years. The biggest issue for me, as I said, is that I don't want to park the Z4 or any other performance/luxury car outside on the street and we only have 1 garage.

dl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads